1 of 2
Feynman Comic
Posted: 01 September 2011 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

Well, I solidified my geekhood by getting the comic book Biography of Feynman.

Feynman -Hardcover

I’ll admit, the art is OK, I don’t like ti that much. But that’s a personal preference there.
  I’ve just about finished it, nd I really like it.
I was sort of worried, ‘cause I’ve gotten most of the books by or on Mr. Feynman. I figured I’d be familiar with everything in it.
And there’s a good deal I am familiar with, though also a fair bit I wasn’t. The comic style gets you a little more involved.
And it’s Feynman!

I didn’t like the art that much, like I said, but the pacing was done well. The art was fine, even if I didn’t like the style.
I feel it was efinetly worth what I paid for it.

It was fun describing it to people at work.
Many of them thought it would contain lasers, explosions, space travel, ect.

I’ll concede the explosions, or rather, explosion. But the rest of it was just about him.
And lets be honest, how many physicists can have a comic written about them and have it be a fun read?

Atomic Robo is a cool comic, but they tend to exaggerate just a we bit on occasion.

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Thanks for sharing. That looks interesting. I think a lot of books would benefit from a comic book style presentation.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Haven’t read it, but I wonder what the point was of making his life into a comic. What’s gained by the treatment?

FWIW I read the comic life of Bertrand Russell awhile back; didn’t like it much at all.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Hmm, I don’t like the drawings at all.

So what’s next? Feynman the Musical? (BTW, I just read somewhere recently that they turned Dawkins’s The Selfish Gene into a musical; as I already said elsewhere, the world is becoming bored beyond belief.)

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 01 September 2011 08:15 AM

Haven’t read it, but I wonder what the point was of making his life into a comic. What’s gained by the treatment?

FWIW I read the comic life of Bertrand Russell awhile back; didn’t like it much at all.

Good question. I think a “graphic novel” brings people into the fray who would not normally read books on Bertrand or Feynman. I like the thought of all boats rising.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 01 September 2011 08:30 AM

as I already said elsewhere, the world is becoming bored beyond belief.

Any ideas on how to change that? (I completely agree with you, BTW)

Signature 

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 01 September 2011 08:36 AM
George - 01 September 2011 08:30 AM

as I already said elsewhere, the world is becoming bored beyond belief.

Any ideas on how to change that? (I completely agree with you, BTW)

I dunno: a world war, an alien attack, a pandemic?

Posted: 01 September 2011 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 01 September 2011 08:34 AM

Good question. I think a “graphic novel” brings people into the fray who would not normally read books on Bertrand or Feynman. I like the thought of all boats rising.  smile

Sure, and it’s a minor quibble, but there are significant differences between the narrative power of a comic (I won’t use the term ‘graphic novel’ in this case because it’s not a novel) and a biography. For one thing, a comic has significantly less narrative density. For that, it substitutes visual density. That works really well with visually compelling stories. Russell’s wasn’t one, and I doubt Feynman’s is, either.

And just as a man with a hammer sees the world as a nail, what I’ve seen happen with comics writers is that they end up distorting the story, shoehorning in stuff to allow them to draw, where the visuals really are of no narrative importance.

I found with the Russell book that the writers just weren’t able to be deep or frankly accurate enough about what Russell (and Frege, etc.) really believed. They had to skate over thin ice. Anyone writing a book for a general audience about these people has to operate that way: in the final analysis the brilliance of a Russell or a Feynman was in being able to think about things that a layperson doesn’t have the time, energy or even perhaps mental capacity to understand. But the problem is particularly acute when you’re working in a medium with low narrative density. It’s like skating over thin ice with a five hundred pound weight on your back. What’s the point?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 01 September 2011 08:52 AM

Sure, and it’s a minor quibble, but there are significant differences between the narrative power of a comic (I won’t use the term ‘graphic novel’ in this case because it’s not a novel) and a biography. For one thing, a comic has significantly less narrative density. For that, it substitutes visual density. That works really well with visually compelling stories. Russell’s wasn’t one, and I doubt Feynman’s is, either.

I think it could work. I wouldn’t be interested in a comics about Feynman’s life, but the things he taught and talked about could work well in a visual story. Take his analogy of comparing the mystery of the universe to the peeling of an onion, for example. That could be fun.

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 01 September 2011 09:04 AM
dougsmith - 01 September 2011 08:52 AM

I think it could work. I wouldn’t be interested in a comics about Feynman’s life, but the things he taught and talked about could work well in a visual story. Take his analogy of comparing the mystery of the universe to the peeling of an onion, for example. That could be fun.

I suppose if it were done right ... by someone who was a really brilliant expositor of physics, like Feynman himself. But then I’d prefer it were just a visual book about physics ...

(I know. As I say, I’m quibbling).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  4519
Joined  2007-08-31

This might also be interesting:

Logicomix.

A mix between a biography of Bertrand Russell and an introduction about the foundations of mathematics.

51iBaJQQzML._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
GdB - 01 September 2011 09:21 AM

That’s the one I was talking about, re. Bertrand Russell. Didn’t like it at all.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
GdB - 01 September 2011 09:21 AM

Logicomix.

Hmm, looks interesting. But since Doug has already read it and didn’t like it, I’ll take his word for it.

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 01 September 2011 09:34 AM

But since Doug has already read it and didn’t like it, I’ll take his word for it.

Well, others might well enjoy it. But for me ... well, I already described the problems I found with it.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 September 2011 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 01 September 2011 09:36 AM
George - 01 September 2011 09:34 AM

But since Doug has already read it and didn’t like it, I’ll take his word for it.

Well, others might well enjoy it. But for me ... well, I already described the problems I found with it.

Sure, others might like it. But I have “known” you for a few years now and although we may not agree on everything I have noticed that it pays off from time to time to listen to your opinions.  cheese

Posted: 01 September 2011 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

I just realized my last two real posts on this forum have been about Feynman books, so I might appear as a spammer.
I’ve just been lurking a lot, letting people smarter than I post… but I’m sort of a Feynman fanboy, I’ll admit. I didn’t know there was a comic for Bertrand Russel, I’ll add it to my wishlist.
Stuff like this is useful in getting my nieces into science and history (like the “Murder of King Tut” comic that came out semi recently.) as well as others who don’t want something as immersible as a book.

1 of 2