2 of 2
Feynman Comic
Posted: 01 September 2011 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 01 September 2011 09:45 AM

But I have “known” you for a few years now and although we may not agree on everything I have noticed that it pays off from time to time to listen to your opinions.  cheese

LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 September 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m also enamored of Feynman so I may look for it.

As far as the Doug’s evaluation of the Russel book goes, it sort of reminds me of my feelings when an acquaintance thought he was doing me a favor by buying a paperback for me on easy ways of approaching the mathematics of chemistry.  It would have been great for a first or second year student, but. . .  He had no scientific background so didn’t see that it wouldn’t have been of value beyond that level.  Similarly, a simplistic book about a philosopher would probably not be highly rated by someone with a PhD in the field.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 September 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15355
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 01 September 2011 10:24 AM

I’m also enamored of Feynman so I may look for it.

As far as the Doug’s evaluation of the Russel book goes, it sort of reminds me of my feelings when an acquaintance thought he was doing me a favor by buying a paperback for me on easy ways of approaching the mathematics of chemistry.  It would have been great for a first or second year student, but. . .  He had no scientific background so didn’t see that it wouldn’t have been of value beyond that level.  Similarly, a simplistic book about a philosopher would probably not be highly rated by someone with a PhD in the field.

Yeah, that had occurred to me. I’m not really the audience for it. But OTOH it is thorough enough that I expect it would bore most people to tears. It’s not a visual subject.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 01 September 2011 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10

It would have been great for a first or second year student, but. . .  He had no scientific background so didn’t see that it wouldn’t have been of value beyond that level.  Similarly, a simplistic book about a philosopher would probably not be highly rated by someone with a PhD in the field.

Probably be groovy for one such as myself, then.

2 of 2