Greetings from Northern Ontario
Posted: 02 September 2011 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-02

I recently stumbled upon this website through a link from a Youtube video and decided to try my hand at posting within the forums. Though I doubt that I will have much to contribute of actual intellectual value, I aspire to learn from those more knowledgeable than myself.

I was lucky enough as a child to have never gone to church, despite having a religious father. I originally started out as the rebellious teenager who simply wanted to scorn their parents’ belief. A few years later, I find myself to be genuinely atheist and proud of it. Although I have occasionally gotten into verbal altercations with my father, I was pleasantly surprised to find my mother was completely supportive of my atheism.

I am currently in grade 12 and am immersing myself in the sciences in an attempt to decide which piques my interest more. I am happy to say that within my school are many other atheists that love to discuss their thoughts and opinions with me. Best of all, no class I have been in has ever been marred by God. For example, my biology teacher has never once mentioned creationism. With all the horror stories I hear from places like Texas, I can only thank God that my school is sensible.

I look forward to the time that I will spend on this site.

Signature 

Deaths in the Bible. God - 2,270,365 not including the victims of Noah’s flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc because no specific numbers were given. Satan - 10. ~ Unkown

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2011-08-23

Welcome!

I’m a newbie too, but everyone’s been super nice!

Signature 

The most terrifying fact of the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment.

However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Heffyhoof.  Seems like you’ve gone to a pretty good school.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 September 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4622
Joined  2007-10-05

Glad to see we’re getting some youngsters around these parts. Us old farts tend to blend together after awhile. We need new ideas. Welcome aboard.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 02 September 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, HH.  Amazing how so many of us have similar early expeiences, even across generations since I’m about 64 years older that you.  In my case it was a relagious aunt.  And from a strong interest in science and two very good high school science teachers I went on in that area and had a great work life.

Look around, give us your ideas, and ask questions if you want.  We’re here to help.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 October 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Welcome :D I’m also reppin’ Ontario CANADA!

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 03 October 2011 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-10-03

hi
welcome to the world of rationalism!
Adam

Signature 

“I am neither a Christian, nor an atheist, I’m not Jewish or Muslim … my religion is written on a piece of parchment called the Constitution”