Greetings from Northern Ontario
Posted: 02 September 2011 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-09-02

I recently stumbled upon this website through a link from a Youtube video and decided to try my hand at posting within the forums. Though I doubt that I will have much to contribute of actual intellectual value, I aspire to learn from those more knowledgeable than myself.

I was lucky enough as a child to have never gone to church, despite having a religious father. I originally started out as the rebellious teenager who simply wanted to scorn their parents’ belief. A few years later, I find myself to be genuinely atheist and proud of it. Although I have occasionally gotten into verbal altercations with my father, I was pleasantly surprised to find my mother was completely supportive of my atheism.

I am currently in grade 12 and am immersing myself in the sciences in an attempt to decide which piques my interest more. I am happy to say that within my school are many other atheists that love to discuss their thoughts and opinions with me. Best of all, no class I have been in has ever been marred by God. For example, my biology teacher has never once mentioned creationism. With all the horror stories I hear from places like Texas, I can only thank God that my school is sensible.

I look forward to the time that I will spend on this site.

Signature 

Deaths in the Bible. God - 2,270,365 not including the victims of Noah’s flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc because no specific numbers were given. Satan - 10. ~ Unkown

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2011-08-23

Welcome!

I’m a newbie too, but everyone’s been super nice!

Signature 

The most terrifying fact of the universe is not that it is hostile but that it is indifferent; but if we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death — however mutable man may be able to make them — our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment.

However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.

-Stanley Kubrik

Posted: 02 September 2011 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome Heffyhoof.  Seems like you’ve gone to a pretty good school.  Glad to have you here.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 02 September 2011 02:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

Glad to see we’re getting some youngsters around these parts. Us old farts tend to blend together after awhile. We need new ideas. Welcome aboard.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 02 September 2011 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Welcome, HH.  Amazing how so many of us have similar early expeiences, even across generations since I’m about 64 years older that you.  In my case it was a relagious aunt.  And from a strong interest in science and two very good high school science teachers I went on in that area and had a great work life.

Look around, give us your ideas, and ask questions if you want.  We’re here to help.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 01 October 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2011-01-10

Welcome :D I’m also reppin’ Ontario CANADA!

Signature 

“Gods don’t kill people. People with Gods kill people.”

– David Viaene

Posted: 03 October 2011 06:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-10-03

hi
welcome to the world of rationalism!
Adam

Signature 

“I am neither a Christian, nor an atheist, I’m not Jewish or Muslim … my religion is written on a piece of parchment called the Constitution”