Ukraine: Orange Revolution democrat and ex-Prime Minister on trial
Posted: 03 September 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

“Experts in Ukraine and abroad believe the trial’s real motive is to disqualify Tymoshenko from upcoming parliamentary and presidential elections by convicting her as a felon.

“Tymoshenko was nicknamed Ukraine’s ‘gas princess’ in the late 1990s for serving as the head of a leading natural gas importer. She was jailed briefly in 2001 on suspicion of smuggling gas, but the case never went to trial.

“Tymoshenko has a long and bitter history with Yanukovych.

“She was the central figure in Ukraine’s 2004 Orange Revolution mass protests that threw out Yanukovych’s fraud-tainted victory in a presidential election and led to another vote that brought a pro-Western government to power.”

Yulia Tymoshenko Arrested: Ukraine’s Ex-Prime Minister Picked Up During Trial

[ Edited: 06 September 2011 01:17 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 03 September 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

This action is so blatantly an act of revenge that I wonder why the Ukrainians don’t rise up again. If they don’t, they’re going to end up exactly where they were before the Orange Revolution.

Posted: 11 October 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Its the democratic story, people.  Its the struggle for a brand new democracy, its important.

“The European Union was quick to condemn the verdict as politically motivated and urged the Ukrainian authorities to ensure a transparent and fair appeals process for Tymoshenko. A failure to do so would have “profound implications” for Ukraine-EU relations and could jeopardize the conclusion of a landmark association agreement, EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton said in a statement.”

Daily News: Ex-Ukranian Prime Minister, Tymoshenko, gets 7 years in prison for abuse of office

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.