More Dangerous Christian Lunacy - “Dominionism”
Posted: 06 September 2011 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-09-06

A group of Christians are spreading a belief called “Dominionism.” They desire religious control over American politics and culture. You can listen to an NPR story about it here: https://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer.html?action=1&t=1&islist=false&id=139781021&m=139904642
or view more of my comments here: http://www.malcontentsgambit.com/?p=502
A few of these ideologues sponsored Texas Gov. and Presidential candidate Rick Perry’s recent prayer rally. It would be just plain funny if it wasn’t so destructive.

Posted: 06 September 2011 05:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I guess I wouldn’t be too unhappy (except for people like Darron) if we had let Perry manage to have Texas secede from the U.S.  We’d have to make sure we didn’t give them foreign aid, built large fences to prevent illegal immigration, didn’t offer support for natural disasters, and protection from possible invasion by Mexico or the drug cartels.  Then we’d see just how well their theological, privatization, and major reduction of government services worked for them.

Let’s hope the Dominiionism people try to repeal the First Amendment.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 September 2011 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2715
Joined  2011-04-24

Holy flerking schnit!  I’ve made fun of this possibility and now, here they are.  This country would surely end if they were in power.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 07 September 2011 05:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

This is nothing new—maybe the label. This has been the predominant world view of American fundies for at least three decades. I guess the scary part is that they seem to be getting more political clout.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 September 2011 06:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Yes, they are getting more clout, and if Rick Perry weren’t so stupid he’d realize there is no way Texas can secede from the U.S. Our economy would crumble without the military bases. The ironic part is Perry is now complaining about FEMA responding slowly to the wildfires, and Fort Hood not deploying soldiers to help fight them. Why doesn’t he just pray for rain again?

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 07 September 2011 08:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-02-11

Desperation is the perfect breeding ground for religious extremism.

Its little wonder why many of these politicians are casting themselves as religious leaders as well.  Right now, the world is in overall bad shape.  People are angry and desperate.  Precisely the climate that various religious groups love as it provides a perfect vehicle for recruitment of new members that the affirmation of faith for existing members.  Make no mistake, these groups are powerful in numbers and have a lot of American “old money” behind them.

Scott

Signature 

Imagine being a free-thinking intellectual from Seattle living in the Heart of the Bible Belt.  Where everyone regularly follows the chuch of Fox News.  Receives their sermons from Rush Limbaugh.  Invocation from Glenn Beck.  And Sarah Palin is their Prophet….

IF there’s a Hell…..  I found it.