Stupid Facebook status messages
Posted: 07 September 2011 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

One of my well-meaning but terribly delusional FB friends posted this as her status:

“If you love God , post this as your status , if you like Satan , keep scrolling”

I really wanted to comment on this, but I have too many Christian friends (and family) on FB whose feelings I would hate to hurt. So just to get if off my chest, here is my comment:

“Since both are fairy tale characters, I neither like nor love either of them, which presents a logical quandary for me. I am now stuck here, unable to either post a status or continue to scroll down the page. Please, are there any other options?”

LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 07 September 2011 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2011-02-11
FreeInKy - 07 September 2011 10:01 AM

One of my well-meaning but terribly delusional FB friends posted this as her status:

“If you love God , post this as your status , if you like Satan , keep scrolling”

I really wanted to comment on this, but I have too many Christian friends (and family) on FB whose feelings I would hate to hurt. So just to get if off my chest, here is my comment:

“Since both are fairy tale characters, I neither like nor love either of them, which presents a logical quandary for me. I am now stuck here, unable to either post a status or continue to scroll down the page. Please, are there any other options?”

LOL

Typical “If you’re not WITH us, you’re AGAINST us.”

Only extremism deals in absolutes.

Scott

Signature 

Imagine being a free-thinking intellectual from Seattle living in the Heart of the Bible Belt.  Where everyone regularly follows the chuch of Fox News.  Receives their sermons from Rush Limbaugh.  Invocation from Glenn Beck.  And Sarah Palin is their Prophet….

IF there’s a Hell…..  I found it.

Posted: 07 September 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2011-08-22

I have kind of stopped replying to facebook stuff altogether. It seems wasteful. On occasion, I do, however, post stuff that might irritate the ideologies of some (conservatives).

Signature 

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true.” - Homer Simpsons

Posted: 07 September 2011 05:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3155
Joined  2011-08-15

It sounds like you’re about to cross the Rubicon here. On the one hand you don’t want to alienate those you love and care for you and on the other you know intellectually that religion is a belief in a myth. Eventually you’re going to have to come clean with everyone and those who truly love and care about you will stick by you. the rest will pray for you or condemn your lack of belief. Either way the truth will out. I’ve been there.  My advice is: scroll down.

Cap’t Jack

Die Gedanken sind frei, wer kann sie erraten!

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 07 September 2011 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2009-01-24

I don’t get it, what’s the problem? The choice is easy, just keep scrolling! Satan makes me feel like I’m sleeping on a bed much more expensive than it really is.

grin

Signature 

“From the faith that you release comes an atheist peace.”
“I’m materialist, I ain’t no deist! It’s there for all to see, so don’t talk of hidden mystery with me.”
“Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.”

Posted: 08 September 2011 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
thevillageathiest - 07 September 2011 05:29 PM

It sounds like you’re about to cross the Rubicon here. On the one hand you don’t want to alienate those you love and care for you and on the other you know intellectually that religion is a belief in a myth. Eventually you’re going to have to come clean with everyone and those who truly love and care about you will stick by you. the rest will pray for you or condemn your lack of belief. Either way the truth will out. I’ve been there.  My advice is: scroll down.

Well said, Cap’t. I’m just not quite ready to come out of the closet yet.  smile

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 08 September 2011 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

You will when you’re ready and when you do you may find that you’re an inspiration to others in your community. they’re waiting for someone to make the first move! I don’t know where you live in Ky. (my home state by the way) but the deeper in Appalachia you are, the harder it is to convince people to stop seeing demons. You did! Others may later.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 September 2011 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

I am unfortunately in the eastern part of the state and since you are a native of the state, you know exactly what that means. Diversity of religious thought in eastern Kentucky amounts to little more than various flavors of very conservative evangelical Christianity. Even the non-Christians are sympathetic to the “biblical world view.” I had a grade school teacher in the ‘70’s who had never been in a church in his life, but when when they came to remove the 10 commandments from his classroom wall, he literally stood in front of them and dared them to try. (He was about 6’5” and 280 lbs.)

But I do believe you are right. In fact, I know there are other heathen around. Thanks for the encouragement!

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 08 September 2011 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

No problem man, I’m from Eastern Ky. too and I feel your pain. If you see your teacher again (and it sounds like you can’t miss him!) slip him a copy of Dawkins’s the God Delusion and dare him to read it! That just may be his tipping point. By the way, if you want to read a wild interpretation of the sacred 10 get a copy of Penn Jillette’s book God. No! You’ll laugh your butt off! I know that you have an uphill battle where you are, but I found a few fellow travelers so I know they’re out there. Somehow we seem to find each other even in the veritable sea of Fundies.

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 08 September 2011 09:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-08-21

I had a similar experience lately.  I updated my facebook page to say I was a secular humanist knowing that all my family and friends would see it.  But I figured they can like it or not.  I’m tired of pretending.

Posted: 09 September 2011 04:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Good for you Joad! Maybe someone in your family will agree and do the same.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 09 September 2011 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
joad - 08 September 2011 09:59 PM

I had a similar experience lately.  I updated my facebook page to say I was a secular humanist knowing that all my family and friends would see it.  But I figured they can like it or not.  I’m tired of pretending.

Just thinking about that makes me queasy. Sort of like posting a naked picture of yourself.

I guess I still have a long way to go.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 09 September 2011 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I feel lucky to live in Northern California. There’s quite a few atheists here. And religion in general doesn’t seem to be at the forefront of many peoples lives. The most religious people I know are two of my aunts

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 09 September 2011 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It’s the same in Southern California, Domokato.  Geez, I feel sorry for those who are stuck in the bible-belt, but let’s not tell them about the west coast or they’ll all swoop in out here and raise the unemployment level even more.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 09 September 2011 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  475
Joined  2008-03-08

How about “If you’re a child-molesting racist, you won’t delete this status and you promise to pay me $1,000 within the next week. If you delete it, it means you’re an atheist.”

Posted: 12 September 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
Kaizen - 09 September 2011 07:49 PM

How about “If you’re a child-molesting racist, you won’t delete this status and you promise to pay me $1,000 within the next week. If you delete it, it means you’re an atheist.”

LOL LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist