1 of 2
Ted Haggard
Posted: 02 November 2006 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

Do you remember the pastor from [i:9a01848f5b]The Root of All Evil?[/i:9a01848f5b] Yes, Ted Haggard. Check this out. (Kinda feel sorry for the guy.:()

Posted: 02 November 2006 09:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Ted Haggard

Do you remember the pastor from The Root of All Evil? Yes, Ted Haggard. Check this out. (Kinda feel sorry for the guy.:()

Posted: 02 November 2006 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Ted Haggard

[quote author=“George Benedik”]Do you remember the pastor from The Root of All Evil? Yes, Ted Haggard. Check this out. (Kinda feel sorry for the guy.:()

Thanks for pointing that out, George. He was quite a horrible man on the Dawkins video, coming out totally against evolution, with not the slightest understanding of it. I believe that it was his ministry that Dawkins referred to as somewhere in between a rock concert and a Nuremberg Rally ...

I have nothing against anyone having whatever consenting, adult sexual relationship they desire; this sort of thing really ought to be between him and his family. But that said, the hypocrisy of the man is blatantly obvious. And what on earth does his having sex with a prostitute have anything to do with what John Kerry said a couple of days ago? It’s totally gratuitous.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 November 2006 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

He also says that “we live in a crazy world”. Well, that’s too bad, isn’t it? :cry: OTOH, wasn’t the Earth (and us) ‘intelligently designed’? :wink: Oops, I did it again: I forgot! that there was also the Devil! :twisted: God made it perfect, the Devil made it crazy…

Posted: 02 November 2006 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-07-06

i just hope that if he’s really gay that he leaves the god who hates his lifestyle so much and finds his true happiness.

though i suspect that his ‘relationship’ was brought about more by the constant sexual repression that he’s constantly subjected to.

Posted: 02 November 2006 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

I live in Denver, its all over the news here, but of course nothing is proven yet, so I’ll wait and see.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 02 November 2006 02:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I think this is going to be pretty big over the next few days. Here’s more .

In particular:

The leader of the 30 million-member National Association of Evangelicals, a vocal opponent of same-sex marriage, resigned Thursday after being accused of paying for sex with a man in monthly trysts over the past three years.

<snip>

After Massachusetts legalized gay marriage in 2004, Haggard and others began organizing state-by-state opposition. Last year, Haggard and officials from the nearby Christian ministry Focus on the Family announced plans to push Colorado’s gay marriage ban for the 2006 ballot.

At the time, Haggard said that he believed marriage is a union between a man and woman rooted in centuries of tradition, and that research shows it’s the best family unit for children.

“Homosexual activity, like adulterous relationships, is clearly condemned in the Scriptures,” the evangelicals association says on its Web site. The Bible says homosexuality is a sin that “brings grave consequences in this life and excludes one from the Kingdom of God.”

IMO this is the sort of stuff that raises this from being a personal issue to an issue of public relevance. This is a public figure spouting intolerance.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 November 2006 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

BTW, the relevant clip from the Dawkins series is on YouTube in more than one place. Do a search for “Haggard Dawkins”.

Or just click here for one example .

Almost makes you believe in god that this guy would be exposed during Dawkins’s God Delusion book tour!

LOL  LOL

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 November 2006 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Haggard is now making the headline news on CNN . With five days before the elections this whole thing looks very suspicious. Wouldn’t Haggard try to be more careful? There must be a safer way for famous people to engage in this kind of ‘activity’. I wonder if this thread should be moved to ‘Politics’...

Posted: 03 November 2006 03:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Not sure precisely what you mean, George. The guy who outed Haggard explicitly said that he did it because of Haggard’s outspoken attempts to ram through an anti-gay-marriage law. He noticed the hypocrisy.

So yes, this is clearly political and clearly religious ... indeed, it is a prime example of what happens when politics and religion collide.

And I’m glad it’s getting some airtime. Apparently the (conservative) Drudge Report waited something like 24 hours before putting it up. I wonder if it’s getting any play on Fox ...

:wink:

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 November 2006 03:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

[quote author=“dougsmith”]Not sure precisely what you mean, George. The guy who outed Haggard explicitly said that he did it because of Haggard’s outspoken attempts to ram through an anti-gay-marriage law. He noticed the hypocrisy.

Yes, I understand Jones (the prostitute) did what he did because Haggard’s church supported the proposed state constitutional amendment. I just can’t believe Hoggard wouldn’t be more careful when (if it’s true) hiring somebody for sex. But then, Clinton made a similar mistake.

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“George Benedik”]Yes, I understand Jones (the prostitute) did what he did because Haggard’s church supported the proposed state constitutional amendment. I just can’t believe Hoggard wouldn’t be more careful when (if it’s true) hiring somebody for sex. But then, Clinton made a similar mistake.

Well, yes and no. Yes, in the sense that Clinton made a mistake. No, in the sense that Clinton wasn’t a hypocrite like Haggard ... everyone knew he was a womanizer, and he wasn’t the sort of holier-than-thou preacher that Haggard is ...

Also, remember that Clinton didn’t get ‘outed’ by Lewinsky. He got outed by a Republican woman in the Defense Department.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

The guy who outed Haggard was saving his voice mail messages and he has an envelope that Haggard sent the cash in.

Apparently Haggard was being careful, just not careful enough.

J

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

[quote author=“dougsmith”]Also, remember that Clinton didn’t get ‘outed’ by Lewinsky. He got outed by a Republican woman in the Defense Department.

I didn’t know this! I guess I was too busy reading Daniken back in the 90’s to pay attention to politics. :wink:

Posted: 03 November 2006 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Anyone leaving incriminating voicemail messages is really not being careful enough!

rolleyes

LOL  LOL

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 03 November 2006 05:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

They have now confirmed that it was indeed Haggard’s voice in the message, and Haggard has acknowledged ‘some’ of the accusations are true. My guess is that he will admit to have taken methamphetamine, but will deny the sex.

1 of 2