Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Ted Haggard on Marriage

Posted: 03 November 2006 10:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15358
Joined  2006-02-14

Give your life up for the other? Huh? Why would anyone approach marriage in that way?

And why couldn’t gay couples share all the benefits that he points out? Gay couples can even have children or adopt.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 November 2006 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

George you are psychic! that’s exactly what he said. He admitted to buying the meth but he threw it away and he had no sex.

And pigs fly.

Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 03 November 2006 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
[quote author=“dougsmith”]Give your life up for the other? Huh? Why would anyone approach marriage in that way?

If(?!) Hagger is a gay, then he must have given up ‘his life’ to make his marriage (with a woman) work. And not only his life: he must have brainwashed hundreds of people around him in order to help him get through his unfortunate life. People have faith, because they have problems, problems that they cannot resolve. If you are unable to adapt in order to join the society, you’ll probably try to change the society. And that’s exactly what Hagger did: he was a president of an association representing more than 30 million delusional members.

Posted: 03 November 2006 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

[quote author=“jimmiekeyes”]George you are psychic! that’s exactly what he said. He admitted to buying the meth but he threw it away and he had no sex.

And pigs fly.

Jim

Yeah! I just never thought he would have “thrown the meth away”. :shock: Also, the “massage” was absolutely brilliant idea. :twisted:

Posted: 05 November 2006 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2006-10-12

[quote author=“dougsmith”]Give your life up for the other? Huh? Why would anyone approach marriage in that way?

And why couldn’t gay couples share all the benefits that he points out? Gay couples can even have children or adopt.

I think that what he meant was that if you devote your life to the other person and your family, then the family will prosper. He was probably going for the Christ metaphor, IMO. In the sense of the necessity of making sacrifices in other areas to make good in another, I think it’s good advice - obviously, your kids need an active parent more than they need someone to work 12-hour shifts at work every day. (unless they’re like starving or something)

Posted: 05 November 2006 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“SeculiTerminus”]I think that what he meant was that if you devote your life to the other person and your family, then the family will prosper. He was probably going for the Christ metaphor, IMO. In the sense of the necessity of making sacrifices in other areas to make good in another, I think it’s good advice - obviously, your kids need an active parent more than they need someone to work 12-hour shifts at work every day. (unless they’re like starving or something)

Well, I just objected to the way he phrased it. Devoting your life to your kids doesn’t mean sacrificing yourself in some Christ-like sense. Nobody can do that and remain mentally healthy ... OTOH there may have been more truth than he intended in that phrase: if he was a closet homosexual (or very bisexual), perhaps he was “giving up” his life for a heterosexual relationship.

But at any rate it doesn’t sound healthy to me, and indeed it has proven not to be.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 06 November 2006 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  363
Joined  2006-02-23

I think there’s some poetic justice in the fact that his lapse, now viewed by hundreds of thousands at Dawkins Haggard Interplay in Root of all Evil resulted in the same hundreds of thousands seeing Richard Dawkins “Root of all Evil” who would not have seen it otherwise.
It gave the movie far more media exposure than it could otherwise have gotten, no matter what we did.
Jim

Signature 

Jimmie Keyes
Tavernier, FL
http://secularhumanism.meetup.com/1/
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. (MLK Jr.)

Posted: 06 November 2006 03:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2006-10-17

Ted Haggarty on The Root of All Evil

Ted Haggarty was the guy who treated Richard Dawkins rather badly in The Root of All Evil, accusing the biologist of being arrogant. At the time, I thought the good pastor was the one being arrogant…...

Posted: 06 November 2006 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Ted Haggarty on The Root of All Evil

[quote author=“jminnis”]Ted Haggarty was the guy who treated Richard Dawkins rather badly in The Root of All Evil, accusing the biologist of being arrogant. At the time, I thought the good pastor was the one being arrogant…...

Haggard displayed that same mixture of arrogance and scientifically illiterate incompetence that is so ingrained into the entire administration in power now in the US. It’s no wonder he was a huge friend to Bush.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 06 November 2006 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-17

More on Haggard

Ted Haggard kept telling Dawkins that “he (Dawkins) didn’t know the scientist he (Haggard) knew.” It seems clear all around that the reverend did not pick his acquaintances too carefully!

Posted: 07 November 2006 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-10-17

Haggard’s morality

Since Pastor Ted gets his morality from the God and the Bible rather than rational thought, what could we expect? Rational man is by far morally superior to man’s fabricated Gods…....

Posted: 07 November 2006 02:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Re: Haggard’s morality

[quote author=“jminnis”]Since Pastor Ted gets his morality from the God and the Bible rather than rational thought, what could we expect? Rational man is by far morally superior to man’s fabricated Gods…....

I don’t think this is correct. Haggard certainly didn’t ‘get his morality’ from the Bible, God, or any such one source. A ‘rational man’ should never make ‘absolutist moralist’ statements of any kind.

Posted: 17 November 2006 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-11-03

I wonder how Ted’s doing now…  strike that.  I wonder who Ted is doing now.

Signature 

"I’m probably wrong."

2 of 2