Snowball - The Dancing Cockatoo
Posted: 09 September 2011 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1824
Joined  2007-10-28

Can a bird dance? Yes, of course.

Here is Snowball dancing to The Backstreet Boys

And to Queen’s Another One Bites The Dust

In fact, the influence of music on the brain is serious neuroscience research. From this article
HERE

From the perspective of neuroscience, listening to music is one of the most complex things you can do. Many parts of your brain have to work together to comprehend even the simplest tune.

What is the relationship between music, language and the brain? From this review of his seminal research HERE

In the first comprehensive study of the relationship between music and language from the standpoint of cognitive neuroscience, Aniruddh D. Patel challenges the widespread belief that music and language are processed independently.

From this interview of Aniruddh D. Patel at the NYT

First encounter with Snowball:

My jaw hit the floor. If you saw a video of a dog reading a newspaper out loud, you’d be pretty impressed, right? To people in the music community, a cockatoo dancing to a beat was like that. This was supposed to be, some said, a uniquely human behavior! If this was real, it meant that the bird might have circuits in its brain for processing beat similar to ours.

So, never call a bird a derogatory bird brain anymore.  grin

Signature 

I am, therefore I think.

Posted: 10 September 2011 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

I hate the Backstreet boys, but I like the bird.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 10 September 2011 05:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1824
Joined  2007-10-28
mid atlantic - 10 September 2011 01:28 AM

I hate the Backstreet boys, but I like the bird.

Neither am I a fan of the BB, but the music is only incidental. The bird though, is unique.

From the wiki

Snowball’s abilities first became apparent after being acquired from a bird show at the age of six by his previous owner. He was observed bobbing his head in time to the Backstreet Boys song, Everybody (Backstreet’s Back). The owner and his children encouraged this behavior and observed Snowball developing rhythmic foot-lifting gestures, perhaps in imitation of his human companions’ arm-lifting gestures.

In August 2007, Snowball was relinquished by his previous owner (at least his third) to the Bird Lovers Only bird shelter of Schererville, Indiana after the cockatoo became “difficult to manage”, following his daughter’s departure to college.

Signature 

I am, therefore I think.