2 of 8
911: Religion did this
Posted: 14 September 2011 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2011-09-02

911: Religion did this
more of the same…......religion made me do it.

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

Cultural conditioning, in my opinion, is a much bigger issue than religion, when it comes to the violence in our world. Just ask all of the peaceful Muslims living in the USA and Europe.

Have people so easily forgotten that not all evil in this world is committed by religious people?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2714
Joined  2011-04-24
Cloak - 14 September 2011 03:03 PM

Cultural conditioning, in my opinion, is a much bigger issue than religion, when it comes to the violence in our world. Just ask all of the peaceful Muslims living in the USA and Europe.

Have people so easily forgotten that not all evil in this world is committed by religious people?

Possibly yes, but religion is basically cultural conditioning.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Joined  2011-09-02

I haven’t forgotten, like governments for example, right?  What the governments of Libya and Syria are doing to it’s citizens.

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
mid atlantic - 14 September 2011 03:18 PM

Not modified and peaceful religion.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
ohio204 - 14 September 2011 03:21 PM

I haven’t forgotten, like governments for example, right?  What the governments of Libya and Syria are doing to it’s citizens.

Yep.

Signature 

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 September 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-09-02

why and how is religion considered cultural conditioning?
Can’t anyone take personal responsibility for their actions. Why must there be a excuse of some type (religious or secular). It’s not like the devil made them do it.

Posted: 14 September 2011 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2011-09-02

maybe “social conditioning” should be spoken of, not cultural conditioning. I think there is a difference. True?

Posted: 14 September 2011 04:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
ohio204 - 14 September 2011 03:31 PM

Can’t anyone take personal responsibility for their actions. Why must there be a excuse of some type (religious or secular). It’s not like the devil made them do it.

It’s likely that a person will be trained in whatever religious tradition is most common in their culture; that is cultural conditioning.

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2011 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-09-02

oh ok, I was thinking that cultural conditioning was more of a subversive method in changing ones thinking.

Like TV commercials depicting beautiful models selling jeans that the average women can’t wear. But the thought is implanted, and all the star’s are wearing them, and the average women buy’s the jeans anyway. Even though she needs to lose 20 lbs to look great in those jeans.

Or too, TV commercials advertising a feminine product, that years ago that type of talk would not have been heard of in public. And now today, everyone speaks of many things that were never said in public years ago. That to me is cultural conditioning.

Posted: 14 September 2011 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
mid atlantic - 14 September 2011 04:27 PM

It’s likely that a person will be trained in whatever religious tradition is most common in their culture; that is cultural conditioning.

Yes, but its also the culture that determines how you follow that religion and what you emphasize. I’m sure you can agree that Western Islam and Mid-Eastern Islam are not the exact same religions, no?

Signature 

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 September 2011 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2011-09-02
Cloak - 14 September 2011 06:41 PM

Yes, but its also the culture that determines how you follow that religion and what you emphasize. I’m sure you can agree that Western Islam and Mid-Eastern Islam are not the exact same religions, no?

I suppose Western Islam is different from radical Islam. I was in Saudi Arabia once, and those Muslim’s didn’t bother anyone. Of course, the law is different there too. In a country that lets the radical Muslims set up those Madrasahs that teach hate, begins the problem,  It’s the misguided radical ones that kill.

But then we have that Muslim killing soldiers at Ft. Hood shooting. That guy was a American.

Posted: 14 September 2011 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
ohio204 - 14 September 2011 06:57 PM

I suppose Western Islam is different from radical Islam. I was in Saudi Arabia once, and those Muslim’s didn’t bother anyone. Of course, the law is different there too. In a country that lets the radical Muslims set up those Madrasahs that teach hate, begins the problem,  It’s the misguided radical ones that kill.

But then we have that Muslim killing soldiers at Ft. Hood shooting. That guy was a American.

Well, yeah, but I think everyone’s missing my point here. As a Texan who’s been to Fort Hood a number of times and knows people who have served there, I have an intimate memory of what happened there. Major Nidal Malik Hasan’s later views of Islam were not influenced by the West, but by that of Middle-Eastern Islamist extremism. Also, add to the fact that by the time of the attack, he had become a very angry man. He attended a mosque where Anwar al-Awlaki was the imam, and was influenced by his teachings. Anwar al-Awlaki is a radicalist that now works with Al-Qaeda and is wanted on the FBI list. This mosque was also attended by 2 of the 09/11 bombers, along with another man who was convicted of plotting a conspiracy to assassinate President George Bush.

Radicalist extremist Islam is not influenced by Western thinking, but by that of the Middle-East.

Signature 

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 14 September 2011 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2011-04-24

I can strongly agree!  Christianity in the USA, and Christianity in Syria are different, Christianity in Arkansas is different than Christianity in Maine. Secularism is different in Latvia compared to here; obviously, nothing is monolithic (or at least very little is).

Signature 

Posted: 14 September 2011 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2010-04-19
mid atlantic - 14 September 2011 07:42 PM

I can strongly agree!  Christianity in the USA, and Christianity in Syria are different, Christianity in Arkansas is different than Christianity in Maine. Secularism is different in Latvia compared to here; obviously, nothing is monolithic (or at least very little is).

That’s my thing. I feel that the true battle is not against religion per se, but against cultural mindsets. Most of the Muslims born here and influenced by American or European culture are much more likely to adopt a more peaceful interpretation of the Koran, as we see right now. Personally, I could care less if my neighbor wants to be a Muslim. But if, all of a sudden, he started spending a lot of time with a group of Afghanis or Pakistanis who were “just visiting the States for a short while”, I would start to get a little nervous, and reasonably so. My fear could turn out to be unfounded, but at the same time, they could also be extremists who are trying to persuade my neighbor to join their cause. I hate that we have to live like that, but I’m just being honest. I’ve got a wife and two girls, and I can’t afford to not be vigilant.

But I’m starting to ramble….

Signature 

- Bruce Lee -

2 of 8