2 of 2
Rachel Tabachnick - Exposing Dominionism
Posted: 20 September 2011 10:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2011-04-11

Malthus - 19 September 2011 05:41 PM

Sorry, obviously only room for acceptable crap?  And yours does not stink, right?  0(:->)  Enjoy your Armageddon folks - won’t be long now - and you think I am crazy?  Oi vey!  I keep forgetting, the rest of the world is too involved in its own opinions to see the light at the end of this tunnel really is a train….oh and my hide is way too thick for you to hurt my feelings….like the people I warned about the coming quakes in our city for 10 years - they still call me crazy for saying that there is more to come.  Oh well…...there is some crazy old derelict who walks this city’s streets, saying “All coming down soon, all coming down….it is all coming down sir…it is all coming down….we need to all get back to living like God intended…in peace and on the land and taking just what we need and leaving as little mess as is possible….we have raped this planet like a flock of Gannets and crapped all over it and each other and it is all going to go to POOH!  Enjoy your blank screens and empty supermarkets, I’ll be planting sweet potato with my Maori brothers who know how to live off the land.  Kia ora, kiha kaha.

Hey, the above actually does make some kind of sense.  I was referring to the incoherent biblical rantings in your previous post.  Yes, humans as currently organized in most of the world, are acting eerily similar in our mass behaviour to that of slime mould… using up our resources willy nilly without considering the consequences.  The big difference is that we can (and some, not enough—of us) do think about the consequences.  If you have any ideas about how we might re-organize ourselves to avoid the myriad malthusian scenarios that once again seem to be on the horizon, what are they?

Living off the land would work fine if there were at most a few hundred million of us on the planet, but unless you want to kill off 99+% of the current human population, that is not a viable option.

There are some obvious benefits to maintaining a technological capability, not the least of which is the potential ability to ward off the next mass-extinction causing asteroid strike.

Wallowing in religious BS, mysticism or back to the land romanticism is not a solution to any of our problems, IMHO.

The first step in finding a solution to any problem is acknowledging that you have a problem which requires a solution.  If you insist on the delusion that you have a solution in religious or mystical BS, you will never solve any problem.  Substituting prayer for well-considered research and action has probably killed more of us than anything else.

Signature 

Homeopaths don’t have brains, just skull water with the memory of brains - Robin Ince of The Infinite Monkey Cage podcast
The phrase “False Prophet” is redundant.  Cleanliness is next to… nothing.
I don’t have a God-shaped hole in my soul.  You have a Reason-shaped hole in your head!

Posted: 21 September 2011 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I’ll admit a lot of this stuff scares me. But on the other hand, it sort of reminds me of the kind of stuff I used to hear about in my Fundy church—about atheists and secular humanists. How they are conspiring to destroy our country, create a one-world government, outlaw Christianity, etc. etc. etc.

I think this is part of our evolutionary tendency to see bogymen who are out to get us behind every bush. I’m not saying that this isn’t a trend that deserves watching; I just don’t see any immediate threat from it.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 September 2011 05:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

I kept reading 500 million on this thread and something struck me as ironic.  Are you familiar with the Rosicrucian monument near Atlanta? It was supposedly put there by a Rosicrucian named R.C. Christian in 1979. It is a series of inscribed granite monoliths in 9 languages, including Sanskrit and was meant as a guide to the post-apocaliptic era.  One inscription states that a natural balance of earth sustainable humans would be 500 million people. Check it out on Wiki: Georgia Guidstones just for kicks and giggles. Could these wingnuts have knowledge of this or did it come from the same source?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 22 September 2011 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2011-09-02
thevillageathiest - 21 September 2011 05:24 PM

I kept reading 500 million on this thread and something struck me as ironic.  Are you familiar with the Rosicrucian monument near Atlanta? It was supposedly put there by a Rosicrucian named R.C. Christian in 1979. It is a series of inscribed granite monoliths in 9 languages, including Sanskrit and was meant as a guide to the post-apocaliptic era.  One inscription states that a natural balance of earth sustainable humans would be 500 million people. Check it out on Wiki: Georgia Guidstones just for kicks and giggles. Could these wingnuts have knowledge of this or did it come from the same source? Cap’t Jack

Can’t answer the question of wingnut knowledge, I’ll have to wait for “National Treasures” Benjamin Gates (Nicolas Cage), historian and amateur cryptologist to decipher and render full explanation after many action-packed exciting scenes. But I do agree with the ten inscriptions. (not so sure about #1).

Posted: 23 September 2011 04:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

I liked that movie!  Didn’t care for the second one though. There is NO Mayan temple hidden in Abraham Lincoln’s head. At least I don’t think so! It would be a great place though for me to store all of my ammunition and canned goods for the day when America collapses and the race war begins. I’ll have my bible to comfort me and my WASP drinkin buddies too! mad

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

2 of 2