2 of 3
Hey from Canada
Posted: 18 October 2011 11:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Oh, and just in case there are some beer aficionados here who decide to try some of Czech beer, if you’re tempted to go for Pilsner Urquell, make sure to have it with a meal. The greaser the food, the more you’ll enjoy Pilsner Urquell.

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2011-10-15

What does these green squares mean?

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Sankalpa - 18 October 2011 12:14 PM

It corresponds to the quantity of your posts. (I wish we also had an indicator of the quality of the posts.  grin )

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-15
George - 18 October 2011 12:30 PM

It corresponds to the quantity of your posts. (I wish we also had an indicator of the quality of the posts.  grin )

Thank you! So, now we don’t have that quality indicater eh.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Sankalpa - 18 October 2011 12:51 PM
George - 18 October 2011 12:30 PM

Thank you! So, now we don’t have that quality indicater eh.

No, we don’t. But you’ll get an idea of who is who very fast. In fact, I think it’s much easier to judge people’s intelligence here than in the real world.

Posted: 18 October 2011 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-15
George - 18 October 2011 12:56 PM

No, we don’t. But you’ll get an idea of who is who very fast. In fact, I think it’s much easier to judge people’s intelligence here than in the real world.

Yes! I agree. I think it is like this. Here, we are being detached and we are reading and analysing what other people say..and we got lots of time to do it. But, in the real world, we don’t have that advantage. We have to engage in the situation and react to the situation. We are no longer detached observers.

Signature 

Posted: 18 October 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree, George, but if they allowed quality rankings, I’m afraid that they’d let them be self-ranked.  The weirder or less meaningful they were, the higher they’d be ranked.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 19 October 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Oh, and just in case there are some beer aficionados here who decide to try some of Czech beer, if you’re tempted to go for Pilsner Urquell, make sure to have it with a meal. The greaser the food, the more you’ll enjoy Pilsner Urquell.

As beer is my favorite alcoholic drink I’ll try it. We obviously can’t get that brand here but I frequently go to Pittsburg and will look it up there.  My son-in-law’s family hails from Poland and they might be familiar with the brand. Oh, and I know that this is completely off topic but I’m in a running argument over health care in the U.S. The con’s continually throw “Obama Care” in my face and use the Canadian Health care system as an argument. One of my wife’s relatives argued that the Canadian system is socialized medicine and that you guys are streaming across the border to receive U.S. care. He sighted the oft-quoted “they can’t even choose their own doctors” crap. I know that I could look this up but hearing it from the horse’s mouth (just an expression mind you!) would be helpful. Care to comment on this George?

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 October 2011 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Pilsner Urquell is one of my favorite beers, it’s best when it’s really fresh—sometimes hard to find that way in the US. But it is pretty well distributed here now, so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding it in a well-stocked grocery store. Better if you can find it on tap ...  smile

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 19 October 2011 05:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

I’ll check the local watering holes for it.

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 19 October 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I must warn you, though, that the taste of hop in Pilsner is pretty strong. Also, make sure the beer is not too cold when you drink it. And if you don’t like it, don’t give up and try some of the other beers (lighter in taste) I listed on a previous page.

Posted: 19 October 2011 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  2680
Joined  2011-04-24

I’m sorry to say it Canadians, but your beer is lacking something. Pilsner Urquell and Czechvar are the only Czech beers I’ve ever had and I wasn’t impressed with either; but like Doug said, they are not as fresh when they’re sold here.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 October 2011 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Total Posts:  1397
Joined  2010-04-22
George - 18 October 2011 10:41 AM

As for Czech beers, usually available at our Beer Store or the LCBO, my favourites are Budweiser (sold as “Czechvar” in North America), Staropramen (a lager from Prague) and Kozel. Except for the name, the American Bud has obviously nothing to do with the Czech Budweiser. Buy a bottle of Czechvar to see what I mean.

I’ve had the Czech Budweiser, and I agree - there is no comparison. Pils isn’t my favorite style, but the Czech Bud isn’t too shabby at all.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 19 October 2011 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-15

Ah! a beer talk. I don’t drink beer however. shut eye

Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2011 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

A note on Pilsner Urquell for those who don’t know: “urquell” means “original source” in German. It’s the original Pilsner beer—from the town of Pilsen, of course!

(I’m sure it’s not news to George ...)

grin

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

2 of 3