3 of 3
Hey from Canada
Posted: 20 October 2011 04:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-18

Since I’ve lived here in Ireland I’ve come across many good beers. But I’m still partial to a good stout.

Posted: 20 October 2011 05:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I’m not a fan of beer and won’t even touch it because most of the time the smell alone makes me nauseous.  I’m more of a wine drinker, but even then I have to be careful because many have sulphites/sulphates, which can give me a headache before I finish my first glass, esp if it’s red wine.  Which is horrible, because I don’t have to be drunk to end up with a headache, but of course, in return, I end up not wanting it, because of the headache and therefore don’t end up drunk.  While the headache keeps me from getting drunk, it doesn’t help with socializing much though.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 October 2011 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14

FWIW I prefer wine as well ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 20 October 2011 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Besides beer nothing beats hot buttered rum for taste. A damn fine drink! cheese

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 October 2011 07:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
thevillageathiest - 20 October 2011 07:39 AM

Besides beer nothing beats hot buttered rum for taste. A damn fine drink! cheese

Cap’t Jack

And I can drink beer without getting a headache. Not so with that snooty drink, wine.  tongue wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 October 2011 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29
thevillageathiest - 20 October 2011 07:39 AM

Cap’t Jack

Buttered rum? What’s that?

The best rum I’ve ever tried was a 23-year old Zacapa from Guatemala. Absolutely delicious!

Posted: 20 October 2011 10:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

The one thing that makes me think my daughter was the result of alien impregnation is that she loves beer while I find the phrase, “good beers” an oxymoron.  Irish whiskeys, wines, etc. are fine, but I’ve never been able to get past the bitterness of the hops.  I do recall that when I was small my English grandmother liked “‘arf ‘n ‘arf” which was half stout and half something else; I don’t recall what.

Re:  Hot buttered rum.  I’m surprised, George, that you haven’t experienced it, living in Canada.  It’s a winter drink usually made by premixing butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, clove, and cinnamon into a thick paste, adding about a tablespoon of it into a cup, pouring in a jigger of rum and filling the cup with hot water.

In any case, Rollingfish, welcome.  I’m sure you’ll find many beer, including stout drinkers here, who agree with you.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 October 2011 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

That’s a drink? Sounds more like food to me!  grin

Posted: 20 October 2011 10:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

Well, yes, it could be called nectar of the gods.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 October 2011 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  765
Joined  2009-07-17
Occam. - 20 October 2011 10:01 AM

The one thing that makes me think my daughter was the result of alien impregnation is that she loves beer while I find the phrase, “good beers” an oxymoron.  Irish whiskeys, wines, etc. are fine, but I’ve never been able to get past the bitterness of the hops.  I do recall that when I was small my English grandmother liked “‘arf ‘n ‘arf” which was half stout and half something else; I don’t recall what.

I’ve heard it said that Bass is the ‘traditional’ other half to the stout. Whether that’s try or not, I’ve no idea. smile

I’m a beer drinker myself. Although I’m trying to branch out and try wines now and again. I do like single malt scotch, although I haven’t had too many at this point. (Personal budget doesn’t allow for me to try the more expensive ones either.)

Take care,

Derek

Signature 

“It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good—and less trouble.”—Mark Twain

Posted: 20 October 2011 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  2885
Joined  2011-08-15

Well, yes, it could be called nectar of the gods.

Here here! the best I ever had was at a bar in Georgetown. They used a cinnamon stick as a stir with a pat of pure butter melting on the top. My favorite rum btw is Meyers Dark. And for a Summer drink, Planters Punch.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 October 2011 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Total Posts:  2587
Joined  2011-04-24
Rollingfish - 20 October 2011 04:38 AM

Since I’ve lived here in Ireland I’ve come across many good beers. But I’m still partial to a good stout.

Stout makes life worth living!  BTW, is the “Guinness” there different than in the states?

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

3 of 3