1 of 3
Gods, Get The Blankety Blank Outta Here!
Posted: 19 September 2011 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2697
Joined  2011-04-24

Almost everyone on this forum is an Atheist/Agnostic/Freethinker/Skeptic/Non Theist, maybe a few Deists, or unclassifiable freaks.  Whatever the label, we are basically not believers;  I was curious though, does anybody here actually hate religious people and/or religion/spirituality?  If yes or no , do you think there is a “place” for hatred of religious/spiritual concepts?  What are your feelings?

[ Edited: 20 September 2011 02:31 AM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 September 2011 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I think hatred is irrational, no matter where it’s directed.  While I dislike the missionary aspects of many religions and theistic beliefs, I almost never dislike the person.  I can have a strong distaste for someone like Pat Robertson, but hatred—nah.

Well, I may take that back.  As I drove home this afternoon, up a long hill on a divided road, two lanes in each direction, 45 mile speed limit, two imbeciles, one in each lane were going just under 30 miles per hour.  If I had a means of teleporting a pint of Tabasco to their genitals, I would gladly have done so.  vampire
LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 September 2011 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  34
Joined  2008-09-29

I’ll be honest. 

I could hate religion for what it has done to the world, but ultimately hatred is a personal thing and it comes from personal experiences.

I’m atheist, and I have been since as far back as I can remember.  But I don’t really hate religion from an atheist perspective.  From that perspective, it’s pity.  But it’s my experience as a gay person that makes me hate religion.  Religious people from a wide variety of groups have been shaming and trying to constrict and devalue my life since before I even knew I was gay.  And one close religious family member actually left my family because of it.  Some people may be more forgiving, but I cannot forgive what religion did to my youth, and there are certain religious figures that I do hate.  But I also have a thinking brain, and morality, so I don’t act on that emotion. 

My experience I think is pretty tame.  I didn’t undergo an exorcism.  I wasn’t raped by a priest.  But when I take my experience, and I multiply it by all the millions upon millions of other people around the world screwed by religion in ways that are worse than mine, it’s very clear to me that religion’s dominant position worldwide needs a strong and swift challenge, and so I need to do my part to promote alternatives to religion, and ensure religion and irreligion are subject to the same rules.

Posted: 20 September 2011 02:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2010-10-14

Any issues one has with religion would not be unique to just religion…

I personally have politicians as the main group of people that if given a choice to be hateful towards they would be top of the list…every single time…

Signature 

As I look back on my life, If I could have the glorious moment
The wondrous opportunity to comprehend
The chance to see my younger self
One time, To converse
To hear his thoughts

Posted: 20 September 2011 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  3193
Joined  2011-08-15

I agree with affluenza.  My intense dislike (mild hatred) is directed to politicians and criminals. I’m surrounded by religious people who leave me alone. They know that I am an athiest and respect my views. Even my parents know how I feel about religion and although my Mother is firmly convinced that I’ll burn for my views (according to her floppy bible)but she still loves me! I don’t judge people by their beliefs but by how I am treated by them.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 20 September 2011 07:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Hate, as in I wish they would just die? Yes.
Hate, as in I would kill them? No.

And regarding Occam’s driving scenario - I’m on the fence regarding those people. I’ll drive with Occam anytime.  grin

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 20 September 2011 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7593
Joined  2007-03-02

What good would hatred serve?  Is there any value in hating our parents and grandparents who attempted to indoctrinate us?  I don’t think there is, despite some forms of indoctrination being abusive.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 20 September 2011 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Mriana - 20 September 2011 07:16 AM

What good would hatred serve?  Is there any value in hating our parents and grandparents who attempted to indoctrinate us?  I don’t think there is, despite some forms of indoctrination being abusive.

Depends on how you define hate. As I said, I would not kill a fundamentalist for her/his beliefs. But if I’m honest, I do have to admit that there is a part of me that wishes those people (for example) who carry signs at funerals saying “God Hates Fags” would die.

Hatred, along with its common side effect (murder) is generally not productive. Comes down to philosophy - is it wrong to kill a person who, if kept alive, will kill hundreds of thousands? There is no right or wrong answer but I know what I would do.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

If a non-religious person wants to spend the rest of their life hating religion, then that’s their prerogative. Many have good reason to hate religion, whether it’s for political, philosophical, or personal reasons. I, on the other hand, don’t hate religion. It was created to meet a basic fundamental human need, and for many, if not most of humanity, it still does. Who am I to barge into someone else’s life and demand that they immediately give it all up? If that person wants to devote their life to a cherished mythology, then that is that person’s right as a human being. Heck, some people would be worse off if it wasn’t for their beliefs.

Of course I don’t mean to imply that religion hasn’t caused its own share of problems. But to tie these problems exclusively to religion is to ignore all of the sociological, psychological, political, and cultural factors that influence these issues. For example, ridding the world of religion will not rid the world of terrorism, despite what some naïve people like to assert. Sociopaths will always find another symbol to justify their actions. Every people group has its annoying people and its evil people, including skeptics. I’m not so arrogant to think that I’m automatically a better person because of my lack of religious association.

Its one’s actions that determine my assessment of their character. Nothing else.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19
traveler - 20 September 2011 07:33 AM

Depends on how you define hate. As I said, I would not kill a fundamentalist for her/his beliefs. But if I’m honest, I do have to admit that there is a part of me that wishes those people (for example) who carry signs at funerals saying “God Hates Fags” would die.

Hatred, along with its common side effect (murder) is generally not productive. Comes down to philosophy - is it wrong to kill a person who, if kept alive, will kill hundreds of thousands? There is no right or wrong answer but I know what I would do.

Well, as long as you are willing to separate these groups of people from one another without lumping them into one group, I’m with you.

And yes, I can say with the utmost sincerity that I wish that some rare and incommunicable disease would wipe out Fred Phelps and his entire family, including the children—-well, at least the ones that are beyond psychological help. Heck, I even wished this when I was a Christian! We’d be better off if people like this had shorter lives.

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

We’re on the same page, Cloak.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  2423
Joined  2007-07-05

As a mildly amused agnostic I really HATE atheists who try to claim that agnostics are atheists.

I only hate the theists when they ring my doorbell and want to share the Bible with me.  I already have 5.  And on a number of occasions I have demonstrated that I know the Bible better than many of them do.

Now see you are getting me started on a rant.  I really hate people who make me get my suppressed hatred out of control.

LOL  LOL

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 20 September 2011 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I have certainly hated in my life, but it never lasts more than a couple of minutes. As far as a certain category goes, I guess I am with Affluenza on this one: The politicians irritate me almost constantly. But I try not to think about it too much since except for not voting I am not sure what else I can do about it.

Posted: 20 September 2011 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

I have actually given this a lot of thought. Having just recently de-converted, there are many things about my former religion that I despise. I hate what it does to people. I hate how it has its tendrils embedded all over our public institutions, despite the constitution. I hate that many of its adherents look down upon non-believers with anger, fear, or—worst of all—condescending pity. I hate how impressionable young children are raised to accept that irrational beliefs are normal and rational, leaving them as adults in a pit of memes that require much inertial force to overcome. At its worst, it teaches people to hate, to fear, even to act in violence in defense of their god, as though a god would need it. Even at best, its acts of mercy and kindness are almost always conditional upon something in return: money or allegiance, for example.

But having said all that, I have a huge caveat. For while I do genuinely hate all those things, I can’t hate the FreeInKY of five years ago. And yet he was a part of that system I now despise. I have many good friends and a few family members who still are. Like I was, most of these people are not bad. They are not haters. They are delusional. They have been sucked into a system that is very good at doing exactly what it was devised to do.

How can I hate them?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 20 September 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

FreeInKy, I think that’s the story for most of us -  having been part of the religious culture. Rather than hate, I would prefer to help others turn on the lights.

Signature 

Posted: 20 September 2011 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  2697
Joined  2011-04-24
Cloak - 20 September 2011 08:10 AM
traveler - 20 September 2011 07:33 AM

Well, as long as you are willing to separate these groups of people from one another without lumping them into one group, I’m with you.

And yes, I can say with the utmost sincerity that I wish that some rare and incommunicable disease would wipe out Fred Phelps and his entire family, including the children—-well, at least the ones that are beyond psychological help. Heck, I even wished this when I was a Christian! We’d be better off if people like this had shorter lives.

Fred Phelps, whats not to like about him?!  Just kidding.  Phelps’ death would be a good thing.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

1 of 3