3 of 3
Gods, Get The Blankety Blank Outta Here!
Posted: 24 September 2011 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  113
Joined  2009-10-17
mid atlantic - 19 September 2011 07:01 PM

Almost everyone on this forum is an Atheist/Agnostic/Freethinker/Skeptic/Non Theist, maybe a few Deists, or unclassifiable freaks.  Whatever the label, we are basically not believers;  I was curious though, does anybody here actually hate religious people and/or religion/spirituality?  If yes or no , do you think there is a “place” for hatred of religious/spiritual concepts?  What are your feelings?

I do not hate religious or spiritual people.  Most of my family members consider themselves to be members of one religion or another.  My wife’s family consider themselves to be Roman Catholics, though many members prefer to attend Unitarian Churches, and they find more to complain about the Vatican than anyone else I have met.  Some members of my family are mostly secular but practice Judiasm to some extent, and then there are the Bhudists too, then some that seem to “spiritual but not religious”.

All of these people in my family, and most of my friends, support the old fashioned traditional Separation of Church and State.  There might be different opinions on when abortion should be used, but they all believe that abortion and contraception should be legal.  They also all strongly believe that creationism has no place in a science classroom, and they all support equal rights for LGBT’s and support environmentalism.  Anyone who supports these ideas (and “neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg”) is not my enemy, regardless of any belief in an afterlife, reincarnation, or transcendant beings that anyone has.

For the most part, religious beliefs are just simply not for me.  It is easier for me to have realistic expectations in life, knowing that the existance of the human species is more of an accident than a miracle and that there are no supernatural beings looking out for anyone.

There are some religious beliefs and practices that are ridiculous, and there are some that can be considered detestable.  But hating ideas and beliefs is not the same as hating people. 

Well, okay, I do feel anger towards people who insist that their relgious beliefs must be imposed on others, or used as a basis for public policy decisions, or used and an excuse for failure in learning science, math, history, or anything.

Signature 

I Don’t Want My Country Back, I Want My Country Forward

3 of 3