3 of 4
M.I.A since April - but happy to be back in the loop!
Posted: 03 October 2011 12:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11

I have terrible allergies. I have had them since I was an infant. For some of them, I have to carry around an epi pen. You know what else I have had since infancy? Clothing. It is suspicious that when I was not wearing clothing, I had no allergies. I’ll bet all these years of wearing clothing have contributed to my allergies. If I stop wearing clothing, I will be cured, I’ll betcha!!

MissMac; the HPV vaccine does NOT cause genital warts. If she went to her GYN doc, she had already BEEN EXPOSED to the virus BEFORE she received the vaccine. There is NO other viable explanation. Period. If she was sexually active, there is an excellent chance was exposed, it is the most COMMON STI out there. THAT is why they want to vaccinate females BEFORE they become sexually active.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 October 2011 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Mriana - 02 October 2011 07:12 PM

Oh OK then um… Does that mean you don’t want even the minute amount of chlorine they put into tap water?  You do know that if our water were totally chemical free, bacteria and other microscopic lifeforms would grow, causing our tap water to be undrinkable.  Not only that you could end up drinking someone’s waste.

Well, if it were totally chemical free, there would be no water. LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 October 2011 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 03 October 2011 04:04 AM

Oh OK then um… Does that mean you don’t want even the minute amount of chlorine they put into tap water?  You do know that if our water were totally chemical free, bacteria and other microscopic lifeforms would grow, causing our tap water to be undrinkable.  Not only that you could end up drinking someone’s waste.

so there, no chemicals, no bacteria!! smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 03 October 2011 06:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2011-10-03

hello nice to meet you

Signature 

“I am neither a Christian, nor an atheist, I’m not Jewish or Muslim … my religion is written on a piece of parchment called the Constitution”

Posted: 03 October 2011 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02
asanta - 03 October 2011 06:28 AM
dougsmith - 03 October 2011 04:04 AM

so there, no chemicals, no bacteria!! smile

Oh yes!  You two are absolutely right.  H2O is a chemical in and of itself.  Of course, that would mean we would not exist either, because we are “bags of mostly water” as those lifeforms on ST:TNG said.  OMG! That means the earth and every other planet would not exist and maybe not even the universe.  Boy, going chemical free really has some serious issues.

Ironically, I just received a link to Care2’s article concerning bottle water:  http://www.care2.com/greenliving/why-you-should-stop-drinking-bottled-water.html  Now, I’m not a big fan of some of their links, such as Mercola, because I see it as bogus science, but I can say Care2 is right when they say most of it is bottle water and you are still getting the same or worse chemicals in the bottle water.

Another health hazard that can be found in both tap and bottled water is fluoride. Many make the mistake of thinking bottled water is un-fluoridated, but that’s not the case at all. Some bottled waters even make a point of adding fluoride, so the only way to ensure the water you’re drinking is fluoride-free is to have access to the water quality test results. However, bottled water has yet another significant drawback.

Honestly, bottle water, despite tasting better than tap water, is not any better for you.  The only value it has is in case of a disaster, such as tornado, hurricane, etc, and times when you just can’t have access to tap water.

[ Edited: 03 October 2011 09:47 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 03 October 2011 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Bottled water has another benefit: it signals that you have enough money to waste it.  grin

Posted: 03 October 2011 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Hey, I’m happy with my bottled water bottles.  I bought a six pack years ago, and have been refilling them from the tap for years so I can have water in my car, to drink.  I guess that defeats the purpose of the bottled water industry.  smile

Oh, and I worked with bisphenol-a compounds for years so I’m not worried about the micro amounts that may leach from the terpthalate plastic of the bottles.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 03 October 2011 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, Asanta, but I can’t condone avoiding allergies by not wearing clothes.  It would have been a great idea for everyone including me 60 years ago, but at my age and with my present body, I don’t think so.  red face

But, hey, if you young people with allergies want to forego clothes, I’d be happy with that.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 October 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Ok George. I got my flu shot this morning.  cheese

My doc said that a small percentage of patients do have acute febrile reactions to flu shots. I’ll see how I feel tomorrow. So far, so good.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 06 October 2011 11:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Since you did it not only for you but also for us, I thank you.  grin I hope you won’t get a fever.

Posted: 06 October 2011 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 06 October 2011 11:01 AM

Since you did it not only for you but also for us, I thank you.  grin I hope you won’t get a fever.

Thanks George!

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 06 October 2011 11:05 AM
George - 06 October 2011 11:01 AM

Thanks George!

No, thank you. Really!

Posted: 06 October 2011 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

I, who has a mild allergy to eggs and therefore the medical people won’t let me get, I thank you too.  smile

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 06 October 2011 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Mriana - 06 October 2011 03:58 PM

I, who has a mild allergy to eggs and therefore the medical people won’t let me get, I thank you too.  smile

You might want to check that again…

LINK: Canada says ok for egg allergies

And from the CDC website LINK: HERE

CDC:
Recommendations Regarding Persons with Egg Allergy

Each of the following recommendations applies when considering influenza vaccination of persons who have or report a history of egg allergy.

1. Persons who have experienced only hives following exposure to egg should receive influenza vaccine with the following additional measures (Figure 2):

a) Because studies published to date involved use of TIV, TIV rather than LAIV should be used.

b) Vaccine should be administered by a health-care provider who is familiar with the potential manifestations of egg allergy.

c) Vaccine recipients should be observed for at least 30 minutes for signs of a reaction following administration of each vaccine dose.

Other measures, such as dividing and administering the vaccine by a two-step approach and skin testing with vaccine, are not necessary.

2. Persons who report having had reactions to egg involving angioedema, respiratory distress, lightheadedness, or recurrent emesis, or persons who required epinephrine or other emergency medical intervention, particularly those that occurred immediately or within minutes to hours after egg exposure are more likely to have a serious systemic or anaphylactic reaction upon reexposure to egg proteins. Before receipt of vaccine, such persons should be referred to a physician with expertise in the management of allergic conditions for further risk assessment (Figure 2).

3. All vaccines should be administered in settings in which personnel and equipment for rapid recognition and treatment of anaphylaxis are available. ACIP recommends that all vaccination providers be familiar with the office emergency plan (18).

4. Some persons who report allergy to egg might not be egg allergic. Those who are able to eat lightly cooked egg (e.g., scrambled eggs) without reaction are unlikely to be allergic. Conversely, egg-allergic persons might tolerate egg in baked products (e.g., bread or cake); tolerance to egg-containing foods does not exclude the possibility of egg allergy (35). Egg allergy can be confirmed by a consistent medical history of adverse reactions to eggs and egg-containing foods, plus skin and/or blood testing for immunoglobulin E antibodies to egg proteins.

5. A previous severe allergic reaction to influenza vaccine, regardless of the component suspected to be responsible for the reaction, is a contraindication to receipt of influenza vaccine.

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

Regarding vaccines: Penn & Teller

Signature 

3 of 4