Posted: 14 October 2011 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 14 October 2011 06:10 AM
traveler - 13 October 2011 11:54 AM

Edit to add: Of course, there’s always string theory!  LOL

No, there are about 500 string conjectures. wink

But how can that be? Science is always based on empirical evidence.  tongue wink

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 14 October 2011 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Total Posts:  2679
Joined  2011-04-24
Theflyingsorcerer - 13 October 2011 11:27 PM
DarronS - 13 October 2011 08:10 PM
mid atlantic - 13 October 2011 07:53 PM

That’s a big difference between you and someone like Nickell, you easily believe and he tries to find evidence.

This thread serves as evidence that UFO belief is akin to religion. Never mind the absurdity of the belief, never mind the complete lack of empirical evidence, those who want to believe are going to stick to their beliefs. Showing where they are wrong just makes them believe even more strongly and attack those who point out where their thinking is wrong.

If you guys are referring to me, then both of you are wildly adrift. Not to mention making unwarranted assumptions. Not to mention being bloody insulting.

As far as UFO’s and other anomalies are concerned, I’ve met with both wild-eyed believers who think every odd-shaped cloud is an alien spacecraft, and those who call themselves skeptics but who are really closed-minded True Believers in the “materialist-science-has-explained-everything” paradigm.

I belong to neither group. I’m simply a scientist (B.Sc.Geology, M.Sc.Oceanography) with an inquiring mind and a healthy degree of skepticism - by which I mean, for example, that I regard both the existence of “Ogopogo” and Joe Nickell’s pseudo-explanation of Ogopogo sightings as otters swimming with their heads underwater with equal skepticism. If you call the otter story “evidence” then you have a great deal to learn about science, my friends.

I don’t “believe” that UFO’s are alien spaceships. But neither do I give much credence to “official” pseudo-explanations such as swamp gas, Venus, hot-air balloons and “hallucinations” for many sightings. As far as I’m aware, sightings of Venus rarely cause conjunctivitis, and hallucinations don’t often cause car engines to malfunction.

And, yes, I’ve had my own UFO sighting - a green glowing disc, full-moon sized. No, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an alien spaceship. Neither was it the moon (it moved), searchlights reflecting off clouds (no clouds), a balloon, any kind of aircraft I’m familiar with, ball lightning, a meteor - and I wasn’t on drugs at the time (well, maybe a drop of caffeine). And, yes, I’m fully familiar with the pseudoskeptic’s mantra, “eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable”, but if anyone tries to hit me with it, all I can say is “I was there; you weren’t”. I can offer no “explanation”; all I know is, on that day in 1974, something strange happened.

One thing I’m certain of; we don’t, yet, know everything. We need to remain open to the possibility that the Universe still has the potential to surprise us, and not facilely dismiss every anomalous occurrence as wild-eyed credulousness.

Yes, the universe still has the ability to suprise us, and it probably always will. The example of “Ogopogo” is slightly flawed because as of now there is no strong evidence that the thing in the lake is a cryptoid; going by “skeptical inquiry” it’s more likely to be some mundane lake fauna. Joe Nickell might be very wrong about the otters, but at this point it seems more realistic to investigate the possibility of whatever is known to live there, rather than claim ” who can figure it out? it’s gotta be lake monsters”.  You’re right that materialist science hasn’t explained everything, but it has explained a lot.

[ Edited: 19 October 2011 05:01 PM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 19 October 2011 06:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-18

This is interesting, considering there seems to be a surge of interest in the UFO as religion theme after the airing of the Ancient Aliens series.

It’s also interesting to note the membership base of the Raelian organization and other pseudo religious UFO groups.

[ Edited: 20 October 2011 02:19 AM by Rollingfish ]

Posted: 19 October 2011 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
mid atlantic - 14 October 2011 02:43 PM

You’re right that materialist science hasn’t explained everything, but it has explained alot.

I beg to differ. It has not explained alot! ( http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.htmltongue rolleye

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 19 October 2011 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
domokato - 19 October 2011 09:42 AM
mid atlantic - 14 October 2011 02:43 PM

You’re right that materialist science hasn’t explained everything, but it has explained alot.

I beg to differ. It has not explained alot! ( http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.htmltongue rolleye

There was alot of interesting stuff on that web page. Thanks alot for sharing!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 19 October 2011 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Joined  2008-04-07

I want an alot. 1115.gif

Forums can be challenging for those who are grammatically pedantic. I think it’s cute when someone writes, “Your a smart guy.”

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Joined  2011-08-01

My pet peeve is run-on sentences, you see them all over the place, they drive me crazy, know what I mean?

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 19 October 2011 05:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Ah, so that’s what string theory addresses - run-on sentences.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 20 October 2011 02:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-18

Sorry for my run on sentence. I wrote the reply quickly.

[ Edited: 20 October 2011 02:31 AM by Rollingfish ]

Posted: 20 October 2011 05:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
Rollingfish - 20 October 2011 02:23 AM

I really don’t think anyone was pointing to you Rolling. I believe Free was just injecting some humor - successfully, if you ask me.  wink

Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2011 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Total Posts:  4811
Joined  2007-10-05

+1 on what traveler said. FIK was not referring got you, Rollingfish.

My grammatical pet peeve is the people who demonstrate the usage of too many propositions in the sentences they write.

What this has to do with UFOs and religion is beyond me.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 20 October 2011 06:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
DarronS - 20 October 2011 05:57 AM

What this has to do with UFOs and religion is beyond me.

LOL

Signature 

Posted: 20 October 2011 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Joined  2011-08-01
traveler - 20 October 2011 05:50 AM
Rollingfish - 20 October 2011 02:23 AM

I really don’t think anyone was pointing to you Rolling. I believe Free was just injecting some humor - successfully, if you ask me.  wink

Of course!  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist

Posted: 20 October 2011 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 20 October 2011 07:30 AM

Of course!  LOL

I got a chuckle. It reminded me of THIS

Signature 

Posted: 21 December 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-12-21

My opinion on the topic of UFOs is a bit a mix between Darron’s and Sandy’s.

First of all,

While I too, am still waiting for the lacking, solid evidences of Earth visitations… about 99% of UFO pictures and videos I saw are indeed unconvincing, and we have not seen any debris, for instance. The recent democratization of highly performing video/photograph editing software allows well-done hoaxes much easier to be produced and spread. I have never myself seen “strange lights in the skies”. I also think that many UFO so-called “research groups” increasingly look like sects, regrouping gullible people around shrewd charlatans who are making big bucks out of this. Many websites such as MUFON and the like are a bit ridiculous, and make the topic look as a pop-culture kitsch.

6 of 8