2 of 4
Don’t beam me up, Scotty.
Posted: 05 October 2011 06:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I’d be delighted no matter how many clones of me were made.  The idea of my ideas being spread by five times as many of me as at present is great.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 05 October 2011 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 05 October 2011 06:10 PM

I’d be delighted no matter how many clones of me were made.  The idea of my ideas being spread by five times as many of me as at present is great.  LOL

Occam

I actually sometimes wonder if there is more than one of you. With all the life stories you have told us, there is no way they can all fit into a life of one individual.  grin

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, at 81 one has had an amazing amount of time to experience life.  The other thing that I’ve noticed is that most people, even those much younger than me seem to forget a great deal of what happened to them just a few years ago.  I recently went to a lunch for the guys who retired from my first job out of college.  I mentioned something that occurred there about 35 years ago, and most of the guys looked at me blankly.  Then one of them said, “Oh yeah” and filled in other details.  Gradually those involved recalled it.  I just happen to have an excellent memory.  I thought it would fade as I got older, but it hasn’t started to decay yet.  So, sorry George, you’re stuck with my anecdotes.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 04:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 05 October 2011 10:27 PM

I just happen to have an excellent memory.  I thought it would fade as I got older, but it hasn’t started to decay yet.

Lucky you! grin

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 06 October 2011 05:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No worries, Occam. I like your stories. grin

Posted: 06 October 2011 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

A point for George’s position on genetics.  My father had a good memory for facts, but my mother’s memory was spectacular.  She could recall and recite my father’s most minor transgessions from more than forty years ago.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Your mother, Occam, and my wife must be related. She seems to have the same gift. surprised

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  89
Joined  2011-09-20

Yeah, I’m down with being cloned and killed. I suppose I would cease to exist, but my consciousness is an illusion anyway, so whatever.

The first teleport.

“I am making this thought-recording to document my first attempt to teleport myself. I have placed the re-materialisation plate 10 feet away from the dematerialisation plate. I have set the timer for 5 seconds and am stepping onto the ‘send’ plate now. From here I have a clear view of the ‘receive’ plate.

“Those five seconds are passing very slowly! But, ah, now the scanning process is beginning. It is a strange sensation…. tingly, sort of. Strange, my body appears to be fading more quickly than my consciousness… no, even that is going now too… I can’t hear or feel, but I can still see a little, though even that seems to be fading to gray now… I can see something appearing on the receive plate…. it’s me! It works! It works!

“No, that can’t be me. This is me… my consciousness is fading… I am fading… oh, God, is this what it is to die? I have only a remnant of consciousness left. The other one, the one on the receive plate… he’s almost solid now. Jeez, he’s grinning. Doesn’t he realise I am dying, fading into oblivion? The bastard! He’s going to have the glory, the fame. He’ll have my wife… It was me who built this thing, and its him that lives and me that dies. My mind barely exists anymore. Only enough consciousness remains for one more thought - I hate him”.

“Well, that worked pretty well” I said, stepping off the receive plate. “Let’s play back the tape….”

Anybody want to go next?

Posted: 10 October 2011 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Well, that’s why teleportation has to happen fast, so you don’t have time to suffer smile

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

You missed the intervening thoughts of you on the receiving pad.  They go like this.  “Oh, I’m fading.  Oh, god, is this wa. . . .”  Wait a second.  Why is my body on the receiving pad disappearing?  The damned thing didn’t work.  Oh, hey, I’m on the receiving pad.  Well, it worked. I didn’t die.  It may be a cloned body and brain, but my mind, that is, my programming, is identical, so I still exist.  Wow, I’m going to have to do some study about existence and the differences between a physical being and the mind that really defines the person.  I didn’t realize until my final thoughts on the send pad, just how poorly I had thought things out.  I’m not going to let anyone else use this until they understand that.”

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-20

You missed the intervening thoughts of you on the receiving pad.  They go like this.  “Oh, I’m fading.  Oh, god, is this wa. . . .

I was thinking of doing the original’s thoughts and the copy’s thoughts in two columns, but in the end I just did it from the original’s point of view.  The last line was intended to indicate that from the copy’s POV the machine worked just great.  He doesn’t seem to be aware of the originals suffering, at least not until he checks the tape (I have the original’s thought-tape to hand, so I know it was transcribed correctly). 

Did the original not see and feel himself dying and see another individual - atomically identical to himself but not himself - come into being?  The copy seems to believe he is the same ‘self’, the original thinks the copy is not the same self - how could he think otherwise when his sense of self was intact as he witnessed the other being brought into being?  Doesn’t the original’s POV count for something?

[ Edited: 10 October 2011 12:38 PM by keithprosser2 ]

Posted: 10 October 2011 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Nah, when I look in a mirror I don’t think, “that’s not really me” or on waking in the morning, think, “Damn, what happened to the me of yesterday?”  I suggest that as the first was being transferred to the second, he would think (were he sophisticated enough), “Hmmm, interesting to see myself moved from here to there.” 

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2011 01:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-09-20

“Damn, what happened to the me of yesterday?”

I remember a swash-buckling, strapping young man ready to take on the world.  Fine smooth skin he had and thick brown hair.  I often wondered what happened to him when I look in the mirror and see something rather less impressive!  But I digress.

Is no one against teleporting here?  On other ‘rationalistic’ boards I know it seems more like 50:50 - even sometimes with a slight majority against! 

CFI members are obviously more “something” that most!  Now I’ll have to find out what that “something” is….

(btw - Despite my little story, I am pro-teleport).

[ Edited: 11 October 2011 01:26 AM by keithprosser2 ]

Posted: 11 October 2011 10:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I’d be for it, except that at the rate my electronic gadgets screw up, I’m not sure what kind of sausage would come out the other end.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 11 October 2011 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Total Posts:  6173
Joined  2009-02-26

In order to teleport a physical thing, you would have to stop the internal atomic interactions before disassembling it. Freeze and record an instant in time of that object. That packet of information is then “transported” to the destination, where the frozen image is reassembled and “hopefully” reanimates and continues in spacetime, from a different location.

Edit: That is total woo. Entanglement (see below) is the answer….... cheese

[ Edited: 02 December 2011 04:30 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

2 of 4