4 of 4
Don’t beam me up, Scotty.
Posted: 03 December 2011 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26

domokato,
That’s the thing, though. It’s not when you change the first particle, it’s when you measure it (which does change it, but once the measurement is done the pair is no longer entangled so any changes to the particles are no longer correlated).

I have no clue how they actually would manage to do this, but the program proposes that it is possible. TG I am not required to prove the claim. gulp

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 December 2011 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Some wiki articles for the things we were talking about:

No-broadcast theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-broadcast_theorem - “since quantum states cannot be copied in general, they cannot be broadcast.”
No-teleportation theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_teleportation_theorem - “In quantum information theory, the no-teleportation theorem states that quantum information cannot be measured with complete accuracy.”
No-communication theorem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem - “In quantum information theory, a no-communication theorem is a result which gives conditions under which instantaneous transfer of information between two observers is impossible.”

Then, later: “The no-communication theorem thus says shared entanglement alone can not be used to transmit quantum information. Compare this with the no teleportation theorem, which states a classical information channel can not transmit quantum information. (By transmit, we mean transmission with full fidelity.) However, quantum teleportation schemes utilize both resources to achieve what is impossible for either alone.

Interesting!

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 03 December 2011 01:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26

LOL  Perhaps I put to much credence in Nova.. red face

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 03 December 2011 06:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Write4U - 03 December 2011 01:13 AM

LOL  Perhaps I put to much credence in Nova.. red face

I didn’t watch the show so can’t speak to what was said or not, but this is always a huge problem with science popularizers when they start on about stuff at the bleeding edge. Either they slip and say something that’s completely false because it sounds cool, or (often more likely with physicists) they say something that’s literally true but extremely easy to misconstrue as something that’s completely false. So always take the wide-eyed stuff with large grains of salt and try to verify it from other, high quality sources before accepting it.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

4 of 4