1 of 3
Wall Street protests
Posted: 05 October 2011 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Just outta curiosity, have you all been watching the growing crowd in front of the stock exchange?They’re mostly disgruntled angry, jobless young people (although I saw a few old sages there) protesting the economic crises. It seems to be growing, and one talking head on CNN even mentioned that the movement is spreading across the country. She even intimated that it could turn into a liberal tea party movement that politicians could tap into in the future. Or it could be a flash in the pan movement. Personally, I hope it’s is the former! Remember, you guys of the Vietnam era; that’s how we had an amendment added to the Constituton.

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 October 2011 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

It could be done with in a couple of days or it could turn into something much bigger. Hard to tell.

[ Edited: 05 October 2011 07:01 AM by George ]

Posted: 05 October 2011 10:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

I thought so too but it seems to be spreading to the major cities. The problem with the movement is that there are no clear cut goals mentioned. Right now they’re just banging drums and sleeping on the street corners. Some pundits think that this is a knee-jerk effort brought on by the protests in England. I hope not. And by the way, your experiment seems to be working as I pictured you as much older. I mean that as a compliment! grin

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 05 October 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Yeah, part of the hype about this news story is what they aren’t telling you.  The street running past the NYSE is actually a POD (Pedestrian Only District), there are barrier to stop automotive traffic and so people can legally walk anywhere in the middle of the road or the side.

Maybe the thread should be called, “Arab Spring: USA’s turn”?

Occupy Wall Street  Apparently other cities and labor unions are getting involved.

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 05 October 2011 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

I hope those hippies figure out their demands. Watching excitedly

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 05 October 2011 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2588
Joined  2011-04-24

There is something like that happening in Baltimore, but most of the participants seem to be hipsters trying to get attention; nothing much of substance is being said.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 05 October 2011 08:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 05 October 2011 08:19 PM

but most of the participants seem to be hipsters trying to get attention

Sure, why not. It was the students who started to protest in Eastern Europe, resulting in the collapse of communism. Same thing in Egypt. I am almost forty and I am too busy and cozy now to change the world. I certainly had much more time and a head full of ideals twenty years ago.

Posted: 06 October 2011 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
George - 05 October 2011 08:53 PM

Sure, why not. It was the students who started to protest in Eastern Europe, resulting in the collapse of communism. Same thing in Egypt. I am almost forty and I am too busy and cozy now to change the world. I certainly had much more time and a head full of ideals twenty years ago.

Hipsters aren’t students though George, Hipsters are just people who desperately try to be fashionable.

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2011-09-13
thevillageathiest - 05 October 2011 05:55 AM

Just outta curiosity, have you all been watching the growing crowd in front of the stock exchange?They’re mostly disgruntled angry, jobless young people (although I saw a few old sages there) protesting the economic crises. It seems to be growing, and one talking head on CNN even mentioned that the movement is spreading across the country. She even intimated that it could turn into a liberal tea party movement that politicians could tap into in the future. Or it could be a flash in the pan movement. Personally, I hope it’s is the former! Remember, you guys of the Vietnam era; that’s how we had an amendment added to the Constituton.

Cap’t Jack

I don’t pretend to know how long or successful it will be but I’ proud of those who are participating and their supporters.  It takes a great deal of courage to do what they are doing.  The protesters are a picture of moral clarity that should awaken all of us.  They are holding up a mirror so our entire society can see what it has become,  but looking in the mirror we can also see what choices lay before us.

Posted: 06 October 2011 04:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Hang on there Mid, I’m an old hippie and protested on the street corner of our local town last May! Although our old mantra eat soap, smoke dope and smell like a billy goat doesn’ begin to fit me today I’d hit the streets again in a heartbeat if the need arose. There’s still a lot of crap out there that needs to be resolved. I still believe in “power to the people”!!!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 October 2011 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
mid atlantic - 06 October 2011 01:10 AM
George - 05 October 2011 08:53 PM

Hipsters aren’t students though George, Hipsters are just people who desperately try to be fashionable.

You’re sounding like Fox News, Mike. The point is they are young people who don’t want to play by the rules of the previous generation. But, yes, young people dress funny.  grin

Posted: 06 October 2011 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2011-04-24
thevillageathiest - 06 October 2011 04:31 AM

Hang on there Mid, I’m an old hippie and protested on the street corner of our local town last May! Although our old mantra eat soap, smoke dope and smell like a billy goat doesn’ begin to fit me today I’d hit the streets again in a heartbeat if the need arose. There’s still a lot of crap out there that needs to be resolved. I still believe in “power to the people”!!!

Cap’t Jack

Yes, but you aren’t a twentysomething living off your parent’s money like the few people I saw in my area. Those jokers are not contributing anything to society, trust me on this I know them.  Most of the protesters in NYC and other areas- I wouldn’t describe them that way;I’m only talking about the small group near where I live.

Signature 

Posted: 06 October 2011 06:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2011-08-15

Then they’re a bunch of disaffected slackers with no political agenda. I do miss the 60’s when there were societal and political issues aplenty. We rebelled against the conformity of the 50’s where we lived in little boxes, wore burr haircuts and there were no minorities living nearby. I hated it! It was a sterile, whitebread existence until as a teenager, I read about the beats. Jack Kerouac was my hero. He even traveled through our town while on the road. These were the proto-hippies who inspired us to break out of the mold! Then in college I joined the SDS and became active in political protests. We felt as if we were accomplishing something then, we were fighting for the downtrodden and depressed. It seems that we as a nation are too complacent now and activism is somehow out of vogue. That’s why I would like to see this movement catch fire. we need a grassroots shot in the arm!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

Thomas Paine

Posted: 06 October 2011 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22
thevillageathiest - 06 October 2011 06:11 AM

Then they’re a bunch of disaffected slackers with no political agenda. I do miss the 60’s when there were societal and political issues aplenty. We rebelled against the conformity of the 50’s where we lived in little boxes, wore burr haircuts and there were no minorities living nearby. I hated it! It was a sterile, whitebread existence until as a teenager, I read about the beats. Jack Kerouac was my hero. He even traveled through our town while on the road. These were the proto-hippies who inspired us to break out of the mold! Then in college I joined the SDS and became active in political protests. We felt as if we were accomplishing something then, we were fighting for the downtrodden and depressed. It seems that we as a nation are too complacent now and activism is somehow out of vogue. That’s why I would like to see this movement catch fire. we need a grassroots shot in the arm!

Cap’t Jack

Don’t kid anybody,  the protests in the late sixties were against the draft and when the draft ended so did the major part of the protests.  When I was discharged from the military in 1970 I joined the local Viet Nam Veterans against the War.  The college kids particualarly the SDS idiots and the Maoists destroyed the organization.

I ain’t no hippie I work for a living.

[ Edited: 06 October 2011 08:33 AM by garythehuman ]
 Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 06 October 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Oh man, hippie vs vet fight. Can I be the irreverent hipster on the sidelines shouting sarcastic remarks?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 06 October 2011 09:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  1741
Joined  2007-10-22

Just got this petition in my e-mail from Credo action:

Dear Friend,

Not a single banker has gone to jail for crimes that led to the financial meltdown. But now over 1,000 protesters have been arrested in the inspiring Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City.
The occupation of Wall Street has inspired a nationwide movement in the spirit of Wisconsin.
But there has been a powerful backlash against peaceful protesters who are using both their right to public assembly and tactics of nonviolent civil disobedience to call attention to the fact that our government has bailed out the wealthiest Americans but has done little to help middle and working class Americans who have lost their jobs and had their homes foreclosed on.
The protest is building momentum with solidarity marches that CREDO members, progressive organizations and labor have joined. However the very existence of Occupy Wall Street could be endangered by strongarm NYPD tactics aimed at intimidating protesters and ending their three week stand against the big Wall Street banks.
I told Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly to respect the Occupy Wall Street protesters’ constitutional right to peaceful assembly. You can, too, at the link below. http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/occupy_ws/?r_by=28382-4008502-xUZHeix&rc=paste1

Help protect @OccupyWallSt protesters’ constitutional right to peaceful assembly http://bit.ly/rcfaGl @CREDOmobile

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

1 of 3