Citizens United: Supreme Court sells our government to highest bidder… enter the REDMAP project
Posted: 06 October 2011 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4400
Joined  2010-08-15

The best democracy money can buy.

While NPR’s “All Things Considered” news programming seems to continue to devolve into meaningless feel good drivel,
ignoring too many real issues out there in favor of not ruffling any political feathers.
Thanks be to providence, NPR still supports a few ballsy programs.  Le Show, Planet Money, even This America Life has some important attention getters, Science Friday is OK and there are some I’m not as familiar with like Talk of the Nation or On The Media.

And then there is the daily Fresh Air interview program lead by Terry Gross, who repeatedly astounds me with her interesting, informative programs that dare to cover issues most others ignore, and do so with finesse and investigative insights too rarely seen among other interviewers.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, America’s number one Investigative Interviewer.

This latest interview with Jane Mayer, New Yorker staff writer.
“The Multimillionaire Helping Republicans Win N.C.” is another eye popper.

Here’s a peek at how our neo Masters of the Universe operate, in this case focusing on a conservative North Carolina multimillionaire named Art Pope who managed to pretty much buy the State House.

“He and his family members have basically poured money into the state’s politics; $40 million is about what they’ve spent through their foundations,” says Mayer. “About $35 million of that has gone towards pushing a far-right political agenda in North Carolina. In the 2010 state races, where people don’t spend much money, he and the groups that he helped found — that were supposedly independent groups — spent $2.2 million. It doesn’t sound like a lot nationally, but it can make all the difference in the context of one state. So basically what you’re looking at is one very wealthy corporate captain who, when motivated enough, can exert enormous influence in a state.”

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 14 October 2011 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

We knew this was coming as soon as the SC issued the Citizens United ruling. Republicans keep screaming Obama is destroying America, when it is the Republicans doing the damage.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.