2 of 7
Telepathy Problem
Posted: 17 October 2011 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
George - 09 October 2011 09:06 PM
majid - 09 October 2011 04:30 AM

Many people claimed such as this phenomenon that really has a mental disease such as schizophrenia and schizophrenia.

Or Alzheimer’s.  cheese

No, not Alzheimer’s. It would be extremely unusual to see an Alzheimer patient who thought they were telepathic, unless they thought they were telepathic before the dementia set in.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 17 October 2011 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

That was a joke, Asanta. Read what I was replying to.

Posted: 17 October 2011 05:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 17 October 2011 04:33 PM

That was a joke, Asanta. Read what I was replying to.

That was great.. LOL

Asanta, think it through….. rolleyes

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 October 2011 05:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  5176
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m thinking, I’m thinking.  I don’t get it either, even though you forced me to go back and read what George was replying to (that to which George was replying).  Especially since he said he was 31 and Alzheimer’s almost never hits before the late forties.  I guess you’ll just have to explain it to Asanta and me, George.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 October 2011 06:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

majid said “schizophrenia and schizophrenia”, which means he forgot halfway through the sentence what two things he was trying to list and listed the same thing twice, which means he has Alzheimer’s.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 17 October 2011 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
domokato - 17 October 2011 06:23 PM

majid said “schizophrenia and schizophrenia”, which means he forgot halfway through the sentence what two things he was trying to list and listed the same thing twice, which means he has Alzheimer’s.

I saw that, but dismissed it. George, your response makes sense now!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 18 October 2011 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Good. Maybe it’s time for me and Herman Cain to stop trying to sound funny.  grin

Posted: 18 October 2011 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

By that reasoning, radios and television sets couldn’t work because they would be loaded with all sorts of signals flowing in from every direction.  I would guess that an effective telepath would have some sort of tuning mechanism in her brain.  (More likely to be female because of superior empathy.)

Maybe, maybe not.

Since nobody has been able to verify that telepathy even exists, I can only speculate. In the spirit of going along with your line of reasoning, I would expect even an effective telepath would be in difficulty if s/he could not learn to filter out the chaotic thoughts of a person s/he is in tune with.

I would likewise expect that an ineffective telepath, unaware of what s/he has, without any sort of dicipline or training, and constantly being bombarded with the unshielded thoughts of millions, would be a twitchy quivering mess!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 18 October 2011 09:33 AM

By that reasoning, radios and television sets couldn’t work because they would be loaded with all sorts of signals flowing in from every direction.  I would guess that an effective telepath would have some sort of tuning mechanism in her brain.  (More likely to be female because of superior empathy.)

Maybe, maybe not.

Since nobody has been able to verify that telepathy even exists, I can only speculate. In the spirit of going along with your line of reasoning, I would expect even an effective telepath would be in difficulty if s/he could not learn to filter out the chaotic thoughts of a person s/he is in tune with.

I would likewise expect that an ineffective telepath, unaware of what s/he has, without any sort of dicipline or training, and constantly being bombarded with the unshielded thoughts of millions, would be a twitchy quivering mess!

Although like 99% of the folks here I reject telepathy, this is kind of an interesting twist to the discussion. Let’s play along for a moment, and assume that humanity is in the early stages of evolving a sense of telepathy. With regard to our more developed senses, particularly hearing and vision, our brains have developed very effective filters for dealing with all the data bombarding them. We have the capability to zone in on both auditory and visual stimulus that the brain deems important while ignoring the rest of the data to the point where our conscious minds are sometimes completely unaware of what’s being filtered out. I could see how the telepathic sense might work similarly.

Of course, the big difference here is that the mechanisms by which hearing and vision work, sound wave propagation through the air and electromagnetic energy in the form of light waves, are well known and we are able to detect both though means other than our senses. Even if we could not detect either, we would still know about them. (There are other ways of sensing the world that we don’t possess abilities for, such as detecting the earth’s magnetic field, as some animals are capable of doing.) I have yet to hear a plausible mechanism proposed for telepathy.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 18 October 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

With regard to our more developed senses, particularly hearing and vision, our brains have developed very effective filters for dealing with all the data bombarding them. We have the capability to zone in on both auditory and visual stimulus that the brain deems important while ignoring the rest of the data to the point where our conscious minds are sometimes completely unaware of what’s being filtered out. I could see how the telepathic sense might work similarly.

I could see how it would work that way for the survivors.

Like anything else with evolution, whatever traits would be advantageous for an organism would be whatever tends to promote reproductive success. I can’t see anybody wanting to risk mixing their DNA with somebody who had been driven stark raving looney tunes by an avalanch of information they haven’t been able to filter out.

Actually, I can’t see how such a person wouldn’t ultimately be driven to simply self-destruct.

Of course, this is purely academic since there is not one single demonsterable example of a living telepath to be found anywhere past or present.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 18 October 2011 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Speculations on the evolutionary advantages of telepathy aside ( hmmm ), I heard an interesting theory on the adaptation of schizophrenia. Some scientists suspect that shamans and other high priests from our past were most likely schizophrenics, with the ability to “hear voices” and interpret these as messages from the gods. According to anthropology studies, the shamans’ fitness had been on average much larger than that of the rest of the people within a given tribe.

Posted: 18 October 2011 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

An interesting side note here… If someone goes to a psychiatrist saying that they are hearing voices, the doctor will often recommend they see a dentist to make sure their fillings aren’t picking up a local station.

Certainly the brain gives off all sorts of waves. I’m open to telepathy. If there were only some actual reason to believe it exists, I’d be excited. But. There. Is. Not.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 18 October 2011 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
traveler - 18 October 2011 11:25 AM

An interesting side note here… If someone goes to a psychiatrist saying that they are hearing voices, the doctor will often recommend they see a dentist to make sure their fillings aren’t picking up a local station.

LOL

Posted: 18 October 2011 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 18 October 2011 11:36 AM
traveler - 18 October 2011 11:25 AM

LOL

FYI, I think it’s a myth (mythbusters had an episode) but there is still a lot of speculation that it might just be possible.  smile

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 18 October 2011 11:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, I am not exactly the technical type, but I imagine there is more to a radio receiver than a tiny piece of metal. It would be like installing an athena in your car (without the radio) and expecting to hear music. I am not sure if you’re being serious here, traveler,...

2 of 7