3 of 7
Telepathy Problem
Posted: 18 October 2011 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

The dentist who was on the POI podcast recently said there was nothing to that myth.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  6110
Joined  2006-12-20
FreeInKy - 18 October 2011 12:08 PM

The dentist who was on the POI podcast recently said there was nothing to that myth.

As if a dentist would know. grin

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 18 October 2011 11:58 AM

Well, I am not exactly the technical type, but I imagine there is more to a radio receiver than a tiny piece of metal. It would be like installing an athena in your car (without the radio) and expecting to hear music. I am not sure if you’re being serious here, traveler,...

I’m not messing with you George (I leave that to Greatest)  LOL

I believe it is a myth, but with a lot of technical people who think it might be true of fillings and techniques that were used decades ago. And WRT your antenna and car scenario, there really isn’t much to a basic radio. See figure 4 at the following LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 18 October 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I had no idea that crystal radios were that simple. My brother once built one when when we were kids, but I never saw any fun in it. Even that simple diagram of the crystal radio makes me actually dizzy.

Posted: 18 October 2011 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2011-10-18

It would be kind of neat to have a tooth that picked up a radio signal. Would save me some money on buying that iPod.

tongue laugh

Posted: 18 October 2011 01:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 18 October 2011 11:25 AM

An interesting side note here… If someone goes to a psychiatrist saying that they are hearing voices, the doctor will often recommend they see a dentist to make sure their fillings aren’t picking up a local station.

Well no, it’s rather the other way around. If you go to the dentist saying that your fillings are picking up the local station, your dentist will recommend you go to see a psychiatrist. Claiming to get radio messages through your fillings, like wearing tinfoil on your head to keep out the government thought-rays, is a typical sign of schizophrenia.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 18 October 2011 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
dougsmith - 18 October 2011 01:47 PM
traveler - 18 October 2011 11:25 AM

An interesting side note here… If someone goes to a psychiatrist saying that they are hearing voices, the doctor will often recommend they see a dentist to make sure their fillings aren’t picking up a local station.

Well no, it’s rather the other way around. If you go to the dentist saying that your fillings are picking up the local station, your dentist will recommend you go to see a psychiatrist. Claiming to get radio messages through your fillings, like wearing tinfoil on your head to keep out the government thought-rays, is a typical sign of schizophrenia.

That does make more sense. (My memories of Lucille Ball were clouding my better judgement.)  tongue rolleye

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I think you are missing the proper translation of the doctor’s statement, “Interesting, I suggest you have a dentist examine you to see if you are picking up radio transmissions”  really means, “I have to get this nut out of my office as quickly as possible.” 

And, earlier, George, your Alzheimer’s reference was just too subtle for me.  Well, there goes one of my green squares sinking into olive drab.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 October 2011 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 18 October 2011 05:20 PM

And, earlier, George, your Alzheimer’s reference was just too subtle for me.  Well, there goes one of my green squares sinking into olive drab.

Occam

don’t worry, I be sinking right there with you! LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 19 October 2011 12:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  6044
Joined  2009-02-26
George - 18 October 2011 12:38 PM

I had no idea that crystal radios were that simple. My brother once built one when when we were kids, but I never saw any fun in it. Even that simple diagram of the crystal radio makes me actually dizzy.

I built a “crystal radio” which actually had a piece of crystal in place of a diode. It was very tricky to move a very thin wire acros the surface of the crystal to “tune in” the “areas of resonance” of the crystal. I guess using a diode and wire coil is much more efficient.

[ Edited: 19 October 2011 12:15 AM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 19 October 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2011-10-09

mistake

[ Edited: 19 October 2011 11:24 AM by majid ]
 Signature 

Blog: telepathist.blog.com

Posted: 19 October 2011 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09
Organon - 13 October 2011 08:29 PM

Of course, if the music that you hear is original and fantastic then you should be writing it down or recording it. You could be another Bach or Brahms.

Skeptics? Yes, most probably.

My brain does not produce the music. I hear the popular musics.

Occam. - 17 October 2011 01:44 PM

I agree about the extreme unlikelihood of telephathy, but have a question about EOC’s comment:  Not because people who make the claim are crazy, but because I have good reason to believe that genuine telepaths would be driven crazy by the random, unsheilded, chaotic, often violent and uncontrolled thoughts of everybody around them.

I can not hear everything from everywhere. I can only receive controlled things. But I can not control it. Others control it. I don’t know how?

domokato - 17 October 2011 06:23 PM

majid said “schizophrenia and schizophrenia”, which means he forgot halfway through the sentence what two things he was trying to list and listed the same thing twice, which means he has Alzheimer’s.

It’s only a blunder. Alzheimer patients only forget the memoirs. I don’t believe there is any relationship between this sick and my problem.

FreeInKy - 18 October 2011 10:13 AM

Of course, the big difference here is that the mechanisms by which hearing and vision work, sound wave propagation through the air and electromagnetic energy in the form of light waves, are well known and we are able to detect both though means other than our senses. Even if we could not detect either, we would still know about them. (There are other ways of sensing the world that we don’t possess abilities for, such as detecting the earth’s magnetic field, as some animals are capable of doing.) I have yet to hear a plausible mechanism proposed for telepathy.

I hear the voices inside of my ears.  sound orientation is done by two ears . But I hear only from one of my ears, sometimes from my left ear and other times from my right ear. I can’t understand how is this possible?

I have many symptoms of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to tell the difference between real and unreal experiences. I accept there were many likenesses between my claim and the symptoms of schizophrenia. But I still believe not
suffering from this disease and I can distinguish between real and unreal easily.
what is really make difference between reality and imagination? I believe the statistics. The repetition rate, and clearance of corresponding feed-backs with my thoughts.

I hope that an interested skeptic find to have a test of telepathy
using voice and webcam. It’s only a test to check is telepathy possible via webcam in long distances or not? if this test was successful, I think we can participate in the James Randi match and won 1 million dollars.

[ Edited: 19 October 2011 01:28 PM by majid ]
 Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2011 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
majid - 19 October 2011 11:23 AM

what is really make difference between reality and imagination? I believe the statistics. The repetition rate, and clearance of corresponding feed-backs with my thoughts.

What do you mean?

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 19 October 2011 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-09
domokato - 19 October 2011 11:55 AM

What do you mean?

I mean how I can understand this paranormal event is real or I have schizophrenia. I think frequency of occurrence, diversity, clearance and resolution of these events. If I receive ten or one hundred feed-backs corresponding to my thoughts, I have right to doubt.  If it occurred more on everyday then I can believe its reality. These feed-backs occurred frequently in each day for me

Signature 

Posted: 19 October 2011 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Total Posts:  6044
Joined  2009-02-26
majid - 19 October 2011 01:31 PM
domokato - 19 October 2011 11:55 AM

What do you mean?

I mean how I can understand this paranormal event is real or I have schizophrenia. I think frequency of occurrence, diversity, clearance and resolution of these events. If I receive ten or one hundred feed-backs corresponding to my thoughts, I have right to doubt.  If it occurred more on everyday then I can believe its reality. These feed-backs occurred frequently in each day for me

I have very limited knowledge, but I know that brain function switches from on side of the brain to the other. As each side of the brain controls different thought processes, is it possible that you are internally observing this switching process, i.e. sounds alternating from left to right or vice versa?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

3 of 7