1 of 2
Words on Beauty from Richard Feynman
Posted: 09 October 2011 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

http://unreasonablefaith.com/2011/10/08/feynman-on-beauty/

This short piece of film may have already been on CFI but it is worth viewing again and again.

My husband worked with Dr. Feynman at Caltech and found him to be one of the most fascinating man in every way…..even down to playing the bongo drums.

Posted: 09 October 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Wow Feynman, famous physicist and professor.  Did you know him, what was he like in person?  Beautiful video, with an amazing picture as the camera descended the cliff!  How in the world did they do that?

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 09 October 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Thanks Sandy. Both videos were very well done. In fact, I like that whole site.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 09 October 2011 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

Yes, I met Feynman several times at Caltech.  My husband was a Nuclear Physics Professor and had worked with Feynman on several projects.  I remember him best as sitting in a bar with his bongo drum between his legs and managed to make it sing.  He had a very wacky sense of humor and was great fun.  My husband flew with him to Switzerland several times on a secret project which I believe was the Cern project.  My husband got his PhD at UCLA and continued to work for Berkeley, UCLA and Caltech.  We often had his students wandering around our home in Encino and they were some amazing characters.  My husband was Dr. O.R. Price and had a load of patents issued through Berkeley and UCLA. 

One day, he came home and told me he quit his professorship and was going to make money.  He was not a people person and should have stayed in the classroom.  The poor man may have been a genius with physics but lost his shirt in the business world.  He lost many jobs in his depression and he seldom came home with a smile.  He ended up spending his time in our guest house with orders to keep the kids away.  The kids and I used our home for lots of fund raising and I gave swimming lessons to the kids.  I loved being home doing this but my husband became a pain in the ass.  He finally found a job but got into some trouble with his new secretary and they both got fired.  She was pregnant and they moved to Wyoming.  The poor old fellow died a couple of years ago with wife number 5. 

When I had my bookstore on the central coast, Dr. Pauling stopped in to ask if he could have his mail delivered to my store as Highway One was closed up and I said yes.  He turned around and asked if I was Ray Price’s wife.  I nodded and he told me what a great student he was and it was shame he got out of science.  When my younger girl headed off to Berkeley she realized that just about every instrument in the labs had his name on them.  She had been ignored by this foolish man and she changed her name from Price to MacNab which was my maiden name.  The other kids were pretty much off on their own and it was J.J. who felt the loss. 

I don’t know much about Feynman’s home life but he was the life of the party wherever he went.  I was not that lucky.

Posted: 09 October 2011 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

Hmm, for some reason I didn’t like the videos that much. I am not sure why exactly, but I am suspecting that as beautiful as those images are, there are just too many of them and they are all over the place. It was hard for me to concentrate of what Feynman and Sagan were saying. I’ll give it another try some other day—maybe I am not in the right mood today. Nice try, though.

Posted: 09 October 2011 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

It is wonderful to realize that both Sagan and Feynman understood the world of beauty rather than just hard science.  I have a great love for classical music and I love meeting others who hear the beauty of opera or concert music.  Sagan who often narrated his own films made it clear how he felt (not a word often used by scientists) about the glory and beauty of nature. 

I did some cross polinating of some huge lilies and came up with colors of incredible beauty.  I never got my husband off his butt to come outside and see what I had done.  When he sold the house, I had moved the furniture into a cabin in Topanga and when I drove back he had bulldozed every damn thing in the side yard.  I never tried again as the Topanga property was for my new chickens that we hatched from eggs.  This was a project for the kids and it was wonderful.  Who needs flowers when we could watch and love some beautiful yellow chicks?

Posted: 09 October 2011 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 09 October 2011 10:44 AM

Hmm, for some reason I didn’t like the videos that much. I am not sure why exactly, but I am suspecting that as beautiful as those images are, there are just too many of them and they are all over the place. It was hard for me to concentrate of what Feynman and Sagan were saying. I’ll give it another try some other day—maybe I am not in the right mood today. Nice try, though.

That’s funny, I was mostly just listening to the videos while watching something else (The Bills game is on TV.)  LOL
I especially enjoyed Feynman’s words about the “God” answer being too simplistic and that not knowing is preferable to accepting a lame explanation.

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2011 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Don’t get me wrong, Sandy, I love Faynman and I could probably recite his monologue on beauty from memory, but somehow this version just didn’t do it for me.

BTW, did Feynman ever try to flirt with you? He seemed quite the ladies’ man. grin

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I thought I was replying to Sandy and now realize that it was traveler who said the words above. Jobs’s fault. The iPhone is too goddamn small to use for this kind of stuff.

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 09 October 2011 03:01 PM

I thought I was replying to Sandy and now realize that it was traveler who said the words above. Jobs’s fault. The iPhone is too goddamn small to use for this kind of stuff.

So now you have an excuse to get an iPad.

Signature 

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Indeed!  grin

Posted: 09 October 2011 03:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-08-24

No indeed, the good Doctor was a perfect gentleman.  My husband never left my side until we got home and then he prefered the Wall Street Journal.  This was during the 60s which was supposed to be a sexual revolution.  I missed it! I was busy with the kids and my lust for reading.  My dream was to finally live alone with the kids off on their own and house full of unread books.  When Ray left I had to go back to work and we settled into a small ancient cabin in Topanga Canyon.  The kids didn’t seem to miss the big house, the pool and the parties.  To take the ouch of this change for them, I sold my diamond ring and bought a young, white Arabian gelding that had been trained in the art of hunter jumper and my oldest girl began showing him in the competition around the area.  It was a nice diversion and they stayed in their private school and it meant two jobs for me.  My grandmother helped out with the tuition and we survived.  I have a lot of energy and used every bit of it in those years.  I began sewing and my background in Shakespeare was perfect when I was hired to do the costumes for a Shakespearean group run by Will Geer.  It led to a lot of designing and fitting of costumes that I was pretty good at doing.  My kids adored Shakespeare and often were given spear carrier parts; as extras are known to be called.  The kids kept their grades up and both ended up getting the best Universities to attend.  When I look back, I must have led the dullest life possible.  I put myself on hold until the girls were finished with school and able to support themselves. 

Then I broke loose and had the dream of a book store come to life.  The wait was worth it.

Posted: 09 October 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
traveler - 09 October 2011 03:21 PM

Ohhh, thanks! I’ve been looking for an excuse to get an iPad too!!  LOL

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 09 October 2011 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11

Sandy, thanks for sharing. smile

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 October 2011 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2008-04-07
asanta - 09 October 2011 09:27 PM
traveler - 09 October 2011 03:21 PM

Ohhh, thanks! I’ve been looking for an excuse to get an iPad too!!  LOL

So now the question is, do you wait for the iPad 3.

Signature 

Posted: 10 October 2011 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
traveler - 10 October 2011 10:03 AM

So now the question is, do you wait for the iPad 3.

That’s always the question with technology ... version n+1.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

1 of 2