4 of 4
Christian Youth Question
Posted: 17 November 2006 08:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-11-03

please insert “strongly believes in people” in the appropriate spot in above post

Signature 

"I’m probably wrong."

Posted: 18 November 2006 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14

Yes, Turkey has a very strong secular component, which began with the rule of Atat?rk after WWI. He also forced the country to use the western alphabet rather than Arabic. He believed that Western secularism was responsible for the advances that we’ve seen here, and wanted to see them as well in his country.

Turkey is an odd country in this regard—the army is actually the defender of secularism there; the idea being that they are empowered to topple the government if it becomes too theocratic.

I am very much of two minds about this system, but so far it appears to have worked relatively well for them.

Peter the Great did something roughly similar in Russia, fighting against the rule of the ultra-conservative Orthodox church.

BTW, if you want to edit your former posts, you can click the “Edit” box in the upper right hand corner.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 November 2006 03:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  983
Joined  2005-01-14

I wonder if “forthetruth” is ever going to come back and continue the discussion.  I hope he wasn’t too discouraged by his posting problems.

Posted: 30 November 2006 01:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

He may have been discouraged because the members here didn’t seem too amenable to conversion to his faith.  LOL

Occam

Posted: 30 November 2006 04:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15433
Joined  2006-02-14
[quote author=“Occam”]He may have been discouraged because the members here didn’t seem too amenable to conversion to his faith.  LOL

I was thinking he might de-convert!

:shock:

LOL  LOL

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 02 December 2006 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2006-11-03

“forethetruth” may simply be out in his driveway scraping the jesus fish off his car.  I’m sure he’ll be back.

Signature 

"I’m probably wrong."

Posted: 03 December 2006 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-11-10

I hope he dose com back!  I been reading Richard Dawkins The God Delusion, Great read

Signature 

"Let me get this strait what U are saying is that my parents are going to burn in hell, even though their jobs involve them saving lives every day, just because they chose not to follow your god? I dont blame them!!! Your god sounds like a real PRICK"

4 of 4