1 of 2
CSI Conference 2011 in New Orleans—Who is attending?
Posted: 11 October 2011 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  73
Joined  2007-04-17

I’m looking around the forums for a roll-call of who will be attending the CSI Con this month in New Orleans, but don’t seem to have found on. Mods, feel free to redirect me if I’m just a failure at searching.

I’m happy to say I will be attending on a press pass, so the more people I know beforehand, the better!

What are y’all wearing? wink

Edited to correct my CFI typo to CSI as it should have been.

[ Edited: 11 October 2011 10:56 AM by Dorion ]

Posted: 11 October 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5487
Joined  2010-06-16

Sorry, it’s a bit of a long haul from Southern California, especially for an 81 year old.

Doug may have more on how to get information about the Con, but they may want to maintain privacy about attendees.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 October 2011 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Of course, which is why I figured I’d ask here, out loud. I’m kind of surprised by how little conversation there is about it… is it really that scary?

Posted: 11 October 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 11 October 2011 10:14 AM

Doug may have more on how to get information about the Con, but they may want to maintain privacy about attendees.

No idea, unless it’s somewhere on the CSI Con website.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 October 2011 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Urgh, yes, I meant CSI… just had CFI on the brain here. smile

Posted: 11 October 2011 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15343
Joined  2006-02-14

No worries. It’s basically the same organization anyway.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 October 2011 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

I’m trying to get that sorted out, since it was someone specifically from CFI that approved my media credentials. Double blargh!

Posted: 11 October 2011 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I was also wondering who was attending. I have yet another airline voucher from work to use up and have always wanted to visit New Orleans…  Anyone else going? Looks like some great guest speakers.

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 11 October 2011 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7661
Joined  2008-04-11

I can’t go.. downer I wish I could.. sick

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 12 October 2011 06:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

I lived in NOLA for 9 years and volunteered after Katrina. I’d love to go but I’ve already budgeted for the Reason rally in DC.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 12 October 2011 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Then you are probably the person to recommend good side trips. I have been to New Orleans once, in 199-something. I’ll be staying at the Marriott where the conference is, in the French Quarter. What should I make sure to see while I’m there? smile Any good rodeos nearby?

Posted: 12 October 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Well, there are lots of little shops and museums in the French Quarter itself that are fun to peruse. Some Voodoo stuff, some really cool architecture, and be sure to have some beignets and coffee at the Cafe du Monde when you walk along the riverfront. The street artists, as well as the spectators, are often fun to watch.

Food is a big draw in NOLA. Ask the locals for the current recommendations. At night, you should walk down Bourbon Street just to get a flavor of the jazz and party spirit. While walking around, you will also be able to drop by Preservation Hall on St. Peter Street and listen to some of the old jazz masters. On the same street is Pat O’Brien’s so you could have a Hurricane while you’re at it, although they are too sweet for my tastes.

There are also some plantations that reveal some of the history of the area - the Destrehan Plantation is probably the closest. I’m not sure what condition they are in anymore. I used to enjoy lunches at the Elmwood Plantation. Of course I used to hang out at Fitzgerald’s Seafoods but that’s now history.

I loved the people of NOLA, but don’t trust the cops.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 12 October 2011 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-04-17

Excellent tips! Thanks.

Posted: 19 October 2011 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-10-19

Hi all! I was thinking about attending the conference too, although only for Saturday and Sunday because of my schedule. I was originally coming to New Orleans for the Jazz Half Marathon, but now my running buddy has dropped out and I am looking for someone else to hook up with. I had my eye on the Skeptical Inquirer Conference for quite a while and now it seems that it’s supposed to be.

Posted: 19 October 2011 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  2457
Joined  2008-06-03

I will be visiting the conference. If anyone else traveling solo would like to have coffee or an adult beverage, send me a private message on this site.

I will spend 99% of my time at the hotel as it seems the speakers are booked morning to night! Not much time for shenanigans or adventures! Although I did book the “swamp boat tour” (sounds too wacky/fun to pass up) and at some point I must see a historic cemetery. I’ve no idea when though! Whirlwind trip.

I’m excited for a little “me time” forget about work and stress. Time to lose the corporate life and get my nerd on. Booked my airport limos and I’m ready to go soon!

Signature 

Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it’s a simple adventure story. Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe.    - Lex Luthor

Posted: 20 October 2011 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-10-19

I sent you a pm. Would love to get together.
Jana

1 of 2