Dr. Oz and Swedenborg
Posted: 14 October 2011 08:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-10-09

A while ago I read that Dr. Oz (an Oprah created phenom for those unfamiliar with the good doctor) and his wife are recent converts to Swedenborgianism. I find this to be quite amusing. I guess I think of Swedenborgianism as a precognitive precursor to both Mormonism and Scientology. I used to live not far from the Swedenborgian Church in San Francisco (a national historic site, I believe) before I moved to a different neighborhoods that had a Theosophical meeting place. My neighborhood was absolutely a hotbed of malicious animal magnetism. That’s my city. Has anyone else heard of this strange occurrence ? If you are not familiar with the amazing Swedenborg, there is an interesting introduction at Wikipedia. I don’t know how infested the information is by Swedenborgians, but it still has plenty of information regarding his outlandish teachings. Of special interest are his beliefs pertaining to the inhabitants of the various planets. I wondered if the writers of Star Trek TNG had him in mind when they came up with the Borg. Isn’t it amazing what “intelligent” people can convince themselves to believe ? I do not know how his religious beliefs affect his medical outlook, but they are enough to raise a red flag.

Antiquity does not imply veracity.

Posted: 03 March 2012 10:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Sad, but true… LINK

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 06 March 2012 07:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2220
Joined  2007-04-26

This doesnt surprise me in the least. I have ranted about Oz’s lack of scientific rigor quite a bit in this forum. His show is nothing but a woo filled carnival sideshow. I personally think he is a disgrace to the medical profession.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 07 March 2012 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3205
Joined  2011-11-04
macgyver - 06 March 2012 07:58 PM

This doesnt surprise me in the least. I have ranted about Oz’s lack of scientific rigor quite a bit in this forum. His show is nothing but a woo filled carnival sideshow. I personally think he is a disgrace to the medical profession.

IMO, this goes double for personalities like Dr. Phil, and such who offer their “expertise” re: individual’s personal problems, for public entertainment value.  Apart from generally being bunk, it is simply unethical.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.