1 of 3
Recreations
Posted: 16 October 2011 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

It just occurred to me, since the old testament, or much of it, is used by all three Abrahamic religions, there seems to be the interpretation that copulation that doesn’t have the likelihood of pregnancy is prohibited, then sex in heaven, including the seventy-two virgins must not be allowed.  Think of all those salivating young suicide bombers who find out they’ve been lied to when they get there.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 16 October 2011 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 16 October 2011 02:33 PM

It just occurred to me, since the old testament, or much of it, is used by all three Abrahamic religions, there seems to be the interpretation that copulation that doesn’t have the likelihood of pregnancy is prohibited, then sex in heaven, including the seventy-two virgins must not be allowed.  Think of all those salivating young suicide bombers who find out they’ve been lied to when they get there.  LOL

chin.gif

Good point!

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 16 October 2011 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2008-11-10

That’s the fun thing about religion.  You don’t have to be consistent.

Posted: 16 October 2011 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  4860
Joined  2007-10-05

Mr. Deity had the last laugh. The 72 virgins are nuns.

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 16 October 2011 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-10-14

I read on another board that the 72 virgin was a mistranslation and it actually means prunes or some other fruit.

Signature 

I want for myself what I want for other women, absolute equality.
~ Agnes Macphail

Posted: 16 October 2011 10:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Wow, they must be really good salesmen to talk young guys into blowing themselves up for 72 prunes in the afterlife.  smile

I would guess that if that were the case, the 72 virgins story would have been more widely debunked.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-09-07

72 virgins doesn’t seem like much variety for eternity to me. Besides, I doubt that is all, or even the chief, motivation for the suicide bombers.

[ Edited: 16 October 2011 10:45 PM by Pambania ]
 Signature 

If you see God, tell Him I’m looking for Him.

Posted: 16 October 2011 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  6195
Joined  2006-12-20
Occam. - 16 October 2011 10:27 PM

Wow, they must be really good salesmen to talk young guys into blowing themselves up for 72 prunes in the afterlife.  smile

I would guess that if that were the case, the 72 virgins story would have been more widely debunked.

Occam

I don’t think it would be. Which sceptics have any interest in debunking this story?

The other story that potentially needs debunking is the very idea that they do it for reward in the afterlife. That seems damaging because it deflects our attention from understanding why they feel strongly enough about their cause to be prepared to die for it and to harm others for it.

Stephen

Posted: 16 October 2011 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I understand your comment Stephen, however, you are approaching it as a rational, reasonable person.  I believe that to purposely blow ones self up indicates a person who is far, far from rational.  They have been so thoroughly brain-washed that they cannot reason, only respond to the hatred fed into them, along with some promised rewards they will get.  Some may act solely because of the hatred, but I think some others do look forward to rewards in the afterlife.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 16 October 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  6162
Joined  2009-02-26

How does the exact number of virgins remain at 72?  Seems that the mortality rate of muslim men would far exceed the mortality rate of virgin women. So, the number of virgins must inevitably go down or at least “fluctuate”, i.e.  (72 give or take).
Or will virtous women become eternal virgins (servicing the men, forever) when they die? I’ve never heard such promise in scripture, but I wonder what a virtuous woman would think of becoming an eternal virgin, servicing the dead forever?????

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 October 2011 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

I see everybody is having fun here so I’ll keep it short to avoid sounding like a party pooper, but fundamental Muslims don’t blow themselves up to be with 72 virgins.

Posted: 17 October 2011 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Who likes virgins anyway? Not me.

Yeah, I heard they blow themselves up because they are promised their family would be taken care of, which is a pretty good incentive.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 17 October 2011 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01

It may or may not be heaven for the martyr but one thing is certain: it sure won’t be heaven for the poor virgins.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 17 October 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-14

Occam

True but it gave me a moment of amusement imaging their reaction smile

Signature 

~ Agnes Macphail

Posted: 17 October 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-10-14
StephenLawrence - 16 October 2011 10:45 PM

Occam

I don’t think it would be. Which sceptics have any interest in debunking this story?

The other story that potentially needs debunking is the very idea that they do it for reward in the afterlife. That seems damaging because it deflects our attention from understanding why they feel strongly enough about their cause to be prepared to die for it and to harm others for it.

Stephen

Theres a very good TED talk on this, an insight into the way young boys are indoctrinated. Ill try to find it and post it here.
Found it http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/sharmeen_obaid_chinoy_inside_a_school_for_suicide_bombers.html

[ Edited: 17 October 2011 11:02 AM by Blythe ]
 Signature 

~ Agnes Macphail

Posted: 17 October 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
FreeInKy - 17 October 2011 09:44 AM

It may or may not be heaven for the martyr but one thing is certain: it sure won’t be heaven for the poor virgins.

Why not? Those guys blew off their private parts. Nothing for the virgins to fear.  wink

BTW, I have heard that the translation is better given as “many,” not a specific number. It’s like when we say a million, but just mean a bunch.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

1 of 3