3 of 3
Recreations
Posted: 17 October 2011 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
George - 17 October 2011 07:01 PM
domokato - 17 October 2011 06:20 PM

Kamikazing for one’s national honor I can support. Suicide bombing because (or partially because) one is deluded with promises of rewards in the afterlife, I cannot support.

But now you’re changing the subject.

Well, it seems you think I’m saying religion is the cause of suicide bombings. Rather, I’m just trying to decide whether to adopt Dawkins’ militant atheism or Dennett’s live-and-let-live atheism. In this context, the extent to which religion (and other factors) enable suicide bombings is relevant. To make the discussion relevant to everyone…I am not saying that religion is the only cause, but it does seem to be a significant contributing cause. Without it, you may not have enough reason to suicide bomb, so a substitute may be needed (e.g. national pride/honor, collectivism). Such a substitute may not always be available..

[ Edited: 17 October 2011 08:26 PM by domokato ]
 Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 18 October 2011 05:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Total Posts:  5502
Joined  2010-06-16
George - 17 October 2011 07:01 PM
domokato - 17 October 2011 06:20 PM

Kamikazing for one’s national honor I can support. Suicide bombing because (or partially because) one is deluded with promises of rewards in the afterlife, I cannot support.

But now you’re changing the subject.

Yeah, how dare he go back to the original focus of the thread?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 October 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

What was the original focus here? Our opinions instead of the facts? domokato supports national honour but doesn’t like the fact that religion plays an important part in some societies. So what? What does what we like have to do with anything?

3 of 3