1 of 3
Good and Bad Foods
Posted: 24 October 2011 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6020
Joined  2009-02-26

One thing is clear, there are plants (foods) which are bad for you.  My question is if there are foods that are bad for you, are there foods which are particularly good for you, better than just healthy foods?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 24 October 2011 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4076
Joined  2006-11-28

I’m splitting this topic off into a separate thread since it seems minimally related to the issue of Energy Medicine that is the focus of the parent thread.

There is a lot of confusion generated by the sloppy distinction between “food” and “medicine.” Plants can be foods, and they can be medicine, as can anything you eat, but the issues associated with investigating the health effects of these different uses of plants and other “foods” are very distinct.

In general, individual “foods” are neither good for you or bad for you. They provide nutrients and non-nutrient components which have effects on health status. Some of these effects are fairly short-term and dramatic (think Vit C deficiency=scurvy), and others are long-term and complicated by interaction with many other factors (think dietary fats of various types as risk factors in cardiovascular disease). Eating nothing but Big Macs is unlikley to be a diet which provides optimal nutrition or promotes long-term health. But if you are a protein-malnourished and calorie deficient peasant, Big Macs could very well improve your diet and provide valuable nutrients. Just like “toxins,” the benefits and harms of nutrients and other food components are about dose and interaction with individual constitution, and unfortunately we don’t know how to identify the optimal diet for any individual, or even for broad categories of individuals to the extent such a diet even exists. We’re pretty good at telling people how to avoid the deficiency diseases that ravaged humankind for most of our history. And we’re getting better at identifying patterns of dietary behavior that affect health on a long-term basis as well as identifying individual characteristics that affect the relative risk or benefit of particular dietary patterns, but we have a long way to go and a lot to learn.

The notion that particular foods are good or bad for you is really a myth, then, and it is sustained partly by the confusion between foods as food and foods as medicine. If you ingest a food because it has some chemical in it you think will affect your health (e.g. St. John’s Wort for depression, fatty fish for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease, etc), you are really treating these foods as medicines, as therapeutic or preventative treatments. Determining whether doing so is good or bad for you then requires investigating the proposed effects the same ay you would investigate any medical intervention: establishing plausibility and consistency with well-understood principles of basic science, in vitro and animal model research, clinical trials, etc).

The dietary supplement industry makes enormous profits in the nearly complete absence of any government regulation or oversight by deliberattely conflating the medicinal use of substances also eaten as foods. However, the reality is that the health effects of dietary behavior and nutrition, and the preventative and therapeutic effects of plant and animal components that happen to also be eaten as food, are really different subjects and have to be examined and studied in somewhat different ways.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 24 October 2011 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

The notion that particular foods are good or bad for you is really a myth….

Unfortunately, it’s an extremely effective means of making a sales pitch for any range of miracle diets which promise fantastic results for zero effort.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 21 June 2012 03:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-06-21
Write4U - 24 October 2011 05:11 PM

Are there foods which are particularly good for you, better than just healthy foods?

I don’t count that there are more healthy food than just healthy foods. I don’t get what you mean. But more healthy than fruits and veggies, water and whole grain I don’t know. It looks soemthing incredible and on the edge of fantasy. If you don’t mean organic food?

[ Edited: 18 July 2012 03:32 PM by mckenzievmd ]

Posted: 21 June 2012 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

Just because something is “organic” doesn’t necessarily make it better.
Harriet Hall (the SkepDoc) summed it up well in her Top Ten Things You Should Know About Alternative Medicine:

6 What to eat: Food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
Organic has become a meaningless buzzword; I flinch when I see it on a label: it inclines me not to buy that product. What we really want is sustainable agriculture that does minimal damage to the environment and produces food that is nutritious, tastes good, and has no unnecessary contaminants. Organic food as currently defined doesn’t necessarily achieve those goals. Produce may have been trucked long distances using up fossil fuels and making it less fresh than local produce; it may cost more and not look as pretty. It may not use land efficiently. Absent pesticides, plants may produce higher levels of natural pesticides for self-defense—could that be bad for us? Sometimes locally grown foods that are not technically “organic” are a better choice. We should ask questions rather than reflexively buy “organic.”

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 21 June 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2172
Joined  2007-04-26

Organic has become as much a buzzword as “natural” , but they are more than meaningless. They are intentionally misleading. Manufacturers use these terms to imply unproven benefits and reap increased profits. There is absolutely no proven benefit to things which are natural or organic ( as vague and undefined as those words are).

I would go a step further than her though. Her main complaint seems to be the vagueness of the definition. The fact is that no matter how you define these terms certain assumptions are being made which are not only unproven but may in fact be wrong. Even the concept of local grown food as being better for the environment is being challenged. I recently listened to a talk where they discussed a study looking at the carbon footprint of local grown food versus regional grown and distributed foods and it turned out for various reasons mostly having to do with inefficiencies and greater waste, that locally grown food resulted in a larger carbon footprint.

I think the take home message from these sorts of examples is that none of us should put too much confidence in our ability to make the best choices using simple common sense. Common sense often fails us and leads us down the wrong path simply because our understanding of the situation is too simplistic.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 21 June 2012 09:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
macgyver - 21 June 2012 08:57 AM

I think the take home message from these sorts of examples is that none of us should put too much confidence in our ability to make the best choices using simple common sense. Common sense often fails us and leads us down the wrong path simply because our understanding of the situation is too simplistic.

Yep. But it’s damn hard to get most people outside of skeptical and scientific communities to understand that fact.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 June 2012 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

There are some so-called “Organic” supermarkets I patronize, but mostly because the two which are in business around here…Fresh Market and Whole Foods…have outstanding meat sections, and very high health and sanitation standards which they abide by. (At least the stores I patronize do. Your results of course may vary.)

For just about anything else, particularly produce, you can find a lot of the same brands at a SuperWalmart, and for a much better price!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 21 June 2012 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  90
Joined  2012-04-24

I often find that locally grown organic food does taste better than what I find in my grocery store.  If you want to buy it for personal preference, more power to you.  But don’t think that it’s better for you just because it’s organic.

Signature 

Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Posted: 21 June 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
Austin Harper - 21 June 2012 11:00 AM

I often find that locally grown organic food does taste better than what I find in my grocery store.  If you want to buy it for personal preference, more power to you.  But don’t think that it’s better for you just because it’s organic.

Nor does it taste better because it’s organic. If it tastes better, it’s because it wasn’t picked long before it was ripe halfway around the world a month ago. Also because many of the varieties that are locally grown on a small scale were bred primarily for taste, while commercial varieties are mostly bred for disease and insect tolerance, appearance, storage capacity, etc.  wink

The best example of this is the tomato. Supermarket tomatoes bear almost no similarity to home-grown varieties. I won’t even buy them in the winter.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 21 June 2012 07:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2665
Joined  2011-04-24
FreeInKy - 21 June 2012 11:45 AM
Austin Harper - 21 June 2012 11:00 AM

Nor does it taste better because it’s organic. If it tastes better, it’s because it wasn’t picked long before it was ripe halfway around the world a month ago. Also because many of the varieties that are locally grown on a small scale were bred primarily for taste, while commercial varieties are mostly bred for disease and insect tolerance, appearance, storage capacity, etc.  wink

The best example of this is the tomato. Supermarket tomatoes bear almost no similarity to home-grown varieties. I won’t even buy them in the winter.

Yes, same with radishes and squash. Huge difference between home grown and supermarket types.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 21 June 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  7665
Joined  2008-04-11
mid atlantic - 21 June 2012 07:27 PM

]Yes, same with radishes and squash. Huge difference between home grown and supermarket types.

....and apricots. I HATE the mealy taste of apricots in the supermarket. I thought I hated apricots until I ate one fresh off a tree.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 14 July 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-07-14

There are a lot of healthy foods, particularly vegetables like spinach, carrots, kale, cabbage etc..  But always bear in mind that something that are too much is not good.  Avoid processed meat and foods with lots of preservatives. smile Generic online pharmacy

[ Edited: 01 August 2012 02:02 AM by magus ]
 Signature 

There’s no harm if we believe in Him.

Posted: 18 July 2012 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

I’ll eat anything so long as it tastes good and doesn’t make me immediately ill.  I don’t really care where it comes from or what it’s made of.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 18 July 2012 11:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Total Posts:  4767
Joined  2007-10-05
asanta - 21 June 2012 09:45 PM
mid atlantic - 21 June 2012 07:27 PM

]Yes, same with radishes and squash. Huge difference between home grown and supermarket types.

....and apricots. I HATE the mealy taste of apricots in the supermarket. I thought I hated apricots until I ate one fresh off a tree.

I’m with you. My grandparents had an apricot tree, and the fruit we got off it was wonderfully tart. They also had a pomegranate tree, and I loved picking the fresh fruit off that. A few years ago our local supermarket starting selling pomegranates. I tried one and was extremely disappointed.

At least I can get good peaches and strawberries at the store.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 19 July 2012 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

OTOH, the cucumbers from our garden this year taste just horrible. Not sure what happened; they are usually quite delicious. Last year they were an “A+,” this year we got a “C–.” Thanks Zeus (and Smith’s invisible hand) for the “B” cucumbers from the store all year round.

1 of 3