1 of 3
So what’s with all the dinosaurs? (Creationist museum)
Posted: 13 November 2006 07:12 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,1946370,00.html

[quote:32be981664]The world’s first Creationist museum - dedicated to the idea that the creation of the world, as told in Genesis, is factually correct - will soon open. Stephen Bates is given a sneak preview and asks: was there really a tyrannosaurus in the Bible? [/quote:32be981664]

See also:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/museum/walkthrough/

Pretty scary stuff.

Sad that they can raise $25 million to produce this, and atheist organizations are struggling to raise even thousands of dollars.

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 13 November 2006 08:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15370
Joined  2006-02-14

Ugh. I have a feeling this could become the poster boy for creationist nonsense ...

Maybe we could get Dawkins to do a videotaped tour?

:wink:

I wouldn’t get too disillusioned with the money involved ... fortunately, there is still a lot of money going to proper museums that teach actual science in them. The American Museum of Natural History in NYC is one sterling example.

They are in the process right now of redoing their Hall of Human Evolution. I have high hopes for the re-opening and will definitely be there to take a look.

Their entire top floor is also made up of an enormous cladogram diagramming almost the entire history of life from the appearance of vertebrates through the dinosaurs to the present day.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 November 2006 01:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  81
Joined  2006-04-08

I prefer to call them Jesus Horses.

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  968
Joined  2005-01-14

Theological scholars may have noticed that there are, in fact, no dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible - and here lies the Creationists’ first problem.

Actually, some of them claim that the “behemoth” and the “leviathan”, mentioned in the Book of Job or in some of David’s psalms were dinosaurs.

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“advocatus”]Actually, some of them claim that the “behemoth” and the “leviathan”, mentioned in the Book of Job or in some of David’s psalms were dinosaurs.

rolleyes

And I suppose St. George killed a dinosaur?

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 15 November 2006 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

[quote author=“dougsmith”]And I suppose St. George killed a dinosaur?

Yes, with a laser! St. George was an extraterrestrial astronaut.LOL

Posted: 23 May 2007 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2006-12-19
advocatus - 15 November 2006 03:15 AM

Theological scholars may have noticed that there are, in fact, no dinosaurs mentioned in the Bible - and here lies the Creationists’ first problem.

Actually, some of them claim that the “behemoth” and the “leviathan”, mentioned in the Book of Job or in some of David’s psalms were dinosaurs.

Interesting…there are suggestions by archaeologists that some of the various monsters and spirits from North American Native oral histories refer to now-extinct megafauna (and other critters) dating to the late Pleistocene/early Holocene. That’s a bit more believable than dino’s alongside people, but rife with potential for misuse as well.

Signature 

the universe may be as grand as they say
but it wouldn’t be missed if it didn’t exist (ph)

Posted: 23 May 2007 11:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  7576
Joined  2007-03-02
dougsmith - 15 November 2006 03:33 AM

[quote author=“advocatus”]Actually, some of them claim that the “behemoth” and the “leviathan”, mentioned in the Book of Job or in some of David’s psalms were dinosaurs.

rolleyes

And I suppose St. George killed a dinosaur?

ROFLMBO!  1.gif

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 May 2007 02:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I can’t imagine why the creationists would even bother with trying to justify the existence of dinosaurs.  If I were a theist I could come up with an easier explanation.  God inserted all those bones in the earth to challenge the faith of humans.  If they use them as evidence for evolution rather than accepting the word of God without questioning, then they are sure to be damned.  tongue rolleye

Occam

Posted: 24 May 2007 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

There’s an article on what I assume is the same museum in the NYTimes today. (May require registration to view).

Adam and Eve in the Land of the Dinosaurs
By EDWARD ROTHSTEIN
Published: May 24, 2007

PETERSBURG, Ky.  The entrance gates here are topped with metallic Stegosauruses. The grounds include a giant tyrannosaur standing amid the trees, and a stone-lined lobby sports varied sauropods. It could be like any other natural history museum, luring families with the promise of immense fossils and dinosaur adventures.

But step a little farther into the entrance hall, and you come upon a pastoral scene undreamt of by any natural history museum.

Not a great article, IMO; not nearly critical enough of the mendacity behind these exhibits. But Edward Rothstein isn’t really the person to write such an article, as this sort of thing isn’t his specialty. He’s more of a cultural generalist writer than a science writer.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 24 May 2007 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
dougsmith - 24 May 2007 07:41 AM

Not a great article, IMO; not nearly critical enough of the mendacity behind these exhibits.

Yes. What is this?: “...human beings and these prefossilized thunder-lizards are usually thought to have been separated by millions of years”. Usually thought? Why “usually”? Why “thought”? How about “human beings and these prefossilized thunder-lizards have been separated by millions of years”?

Posted: 24 May 2007 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Adam and Eve in the Land of the Dinos?  Come on!  They would spend all their time avoiding getting ate and trying to stay alive, not worried about some supernatural anthropomorphic deity.  5.gif  Not even a brontosaurus could save their little tinkerbell hineys from Rex.  These creationists/I.D.ers need to get real.  Noah’s ark would have never gotten built either, much less all those wonderful pyrimids of the Egypt., because humans would not have time to settle down and build anything.

[ Edited: 24 May 2007 10:59 AM by Mriana ]
 Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 24 May 2007 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2006-11-22

I bet they have one these.

Duck_crocodile.jpg

Signature 

“Truth persists, whether you believe it or not.”

Posted: 24 May 2007 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22
Mriana - 24 May 2007 10:53 AM

Adam and Eve in the Land of the Dinos?  Come on!  They would spend all their time avoiding getting ate and trying to stay alive, not worried about some supernatural anthropomorphic deity.  5.gif  Not even a brontosaurus could save their little tinkerbell hineys from Rex.  These creationists/I.D.ers need to get real.  Noah’s ark would have never gotten built either, much less all those wonderful pyrimids of the Egypt., because humans would not have time to settle down and build anything.

Please, Mriana.  You’re cheating.  Don’t you know one is not allowed to use reason or logic when examining the beliefs of these theists?  tongue laugh

Occam

Posted: 24 May 2007 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-03-02

Oh gee!  *Mriana smacks her forehead*  I forgot.  Well, OK let their little humans get eaten in the dino age.  Then there will be no humans to take care of the planet and fight global warming.  rolleyes  The safest place MIGHT be on a Brontosaraus…  If they are Fred Flintstone.

Signature 

Mriana

Posted: 25 May 2007 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  53
Joined  2007-05-20

I just heard the museum owner interviewed on local public radio, and he said that they chose to use dinosaurs because they are popular with the kids.  OH BROTHER!

Should this museum be protested, or should we just ignore it?

1 of 3