2 of 2
Food, Human, and Evolution
Posted: 08 November 2011 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9284
Joined  2006-08-29

One more thing:

domokato - 08 November 2011 10:47 AM

Yes, and I was just asking where you got that from. “Classical fitness”, you say? So I guess Darwin? That’s all I wanted to know. But why use classical definitions when there are more accurate modern ones available? After all, you’re criticizing the OP for inaccuracy.

Once again, I use Darwinian fitness because I was responding to Normnature’s definition of “Darwinian fitness.” There are dozens of theories and formulas on how to best calculate fitness—all of which I am sure you’re aware, since you have studied it—but in the end it comes down to the numbers and not the “physical fitness” as per Normnature’s post.

But keep nitpicking if you must…

Posted: 04 March 2012 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
armani01 - 04 March 2012 10:35 PM

Cooking also allows humans to eat meat. A dog can eat food right out of the garbage can because dogs and wolves have the most acidic stomachs of all mammals and their stomach acids kill most germs. If you ate spoiled meat, you would probably get an infection and die. Cooking kills most of the parasites and bacteria that flourish in meat and can be deadly to humans.

Hi troll, you do not know what the heck you are talking about. The acid formed in a dog’s stomach is no more acidic than that produced by humans. There are in fact cultures that eat meat as delicacies which I would regard as spoiled. We also have dishes where we do eat raw meat such as delicious beef carpaccio, and sushi. Humans, dogs and wolves, are all omnivores.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 05 March 2012 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
asanta - 04 March 2012 11:34 PM

Cooking also allows humans to eat meat. A dog can eat food right out of the garbage can because dogs and wolves have the most acidic stomachs of all mammals and their stomach acids kill most germs. If you ate spoiled meat, you would probably get an infection and die. Cooking kills most of the parasites and bacteria that flourish in meat and can be deadly to humans.

Hi troll, you do not know what the heck you are talking about. The acid formed in a dog’s stomach is no more acidic than that produced by humans. There are in fact cultures that eat meat as delicacies which I would regard as spoiled. We also have dishes where we do eat raw meat such as delicious beef carpaccio, and sushi. Humans, dogs and wolves, are all omnivores.

Not troll ... spammer. wink

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 05 March 2012 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
dougsmith - 05 March 2012 04:48 AM
asanta - 04 March 2012 11:34 PM

Not troll ... spammer. wink

Oops! He was a busy one too!!

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 06 March 2012 12:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  2799
Joined  2011-11-04
domokato - 02 November 2011 04:35 PM
George - 02 November 2011 01:59 PM

The “survival of the fittest” refers to the number of offspring. It has nothing to do with “physical fitness” (at least not in the way you’re describing here).

I’m not sure where you’re getting this from. You’re right that it doesn’t necessarily have to do with physical fitness, but according to wikipedia Darwin used it as a synonym for natural selection (after it was coined by Herbert Spencer). And natural selection concerns both survival and reproduction, not just reproduction. Sexual selection is closer to what you describe, although it also takes into account other factors than just number of offspring.

Genes are passed on only if an individual survives to reproduction.  Though I would go beyond George’s assertion about fitness, in regards to human evolution.  I would suggest that for humans, evolutionary fitness would include surviving beyond reproduction in order to promote the survival of the offspring (so that it can also, eventually reproduce, etc.).

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 06 March 2012 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

There are many other animals who take care of their young ones. The reproductive success of any life is measured by the time it reaches the end of its reproductive period.

Posted: 06 March 2012 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 06 March 2012 01:01 PM

There are many other animals who take care of their young ones. The reproductive success of any life is measured by the time it reaches the end of its reproductive period.

In terms of evolution, most altricial species would soon lose out in “survival of the fittest”, if suddenly, none of the offspring had help in surviving the earliest stages of development.

Signature 

“Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb… We are bound to others, past and present… And by each crime and every kindness… We birth our future.”  Sonmi, 2144.

Posted: 06 March 2012 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Did you just write that so that you can use the word “altricial”?  grin Other than that, I have no idea what you’re up to.

Posted: 06 March 2012 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  5187
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting TimB: 

In terms of evolution, most altricial species would soon lose out in “survival of the fittest”, if suddenly, none of the offspring had help in surviving the earliest stages of development.

But so would precocial ones since we’re talking about avian species in both cases.  So what does that prove?

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 07 March 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Joined  2011-11-04

My point is that in calculating an individual’s evolutionary fitness, one should factor in, not only survival to reproduction, but also, survival beyond the reproduction of their offspring, if their survival then cntributes to a greater likelihood that the off spring will survive to reproduction, and so on, and so on.

Signature 

2 of 2