Christian Forums?
Posted: 13 November 2006 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2006-09-19

I’m very happy to be discussing many of these topics with you guys, but I want to find the Christian version of this forum. I did some searches and I have still yet to find an active Christian forum that is well formatted.

Have any of you seen/found a good forum to spread our message?

Posted: 13 November 2006 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15396
Joined  2006-02-14

Re: Christian Forums?

[quote author=“Jaik”]I’m very happy to be discussing many of these topics with you guys, but I want to find the Christian version of this forum. I did some searches and I have still yet to find an active Christian forum that is well formatted.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for, Jaik. The CFI is not a Christian organization, so there is no “Christian version” of this forum.

If you mean to ask whether there is some forum where Christians debate atheism, that is an interesting issue, but I doubt that believers will dare spend much time even contemplating that they are not correct!

LOL

After all, the point of much serious Christian theology is the support of faith, and faith is anathema to reason: all the more ‘reason’ not to delve too deeply into these matters.

:wink:

Of course, there are a number of good professional philosopher/theologians who try to support Christian theology from a non-faith-based perspective: people like Oxford’s Richard Swinburne (Dawkins cited him in his book) or Notre Dame’s Alvin Plantinga. But they are very much in the minority.

If you find anything let us know.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 November 2006 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  241
Joined  2006-07-17

This one is okay, at least you can post as an atheist.

http://www.theologyonline.com/

Signature 

http://www.rationalrevolution.net

Posted: 13 November 2006 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-19

[quote author=“dougsmith”][quote author=“Jaik”]I’m very happy to be discussing many of these topics with you guys, but I want to find the Christian version of this forum. I did some searches and I have still yet to find an active Christian forum that is well formatted.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for, Jaik. The CFI is not a Christian organization, so there is no “Christian version” of this forum.

If you mean to ask whether there is some forum where Christians debate atheism, that is an interesting issue, but I doubt that believers will dare spend much time even contemplating that they are not correct!

LOL

After all, the point of much serious Christian theology is the support of faith, and faith is anathema to reason: all the more ‘reason’ not to delve too deeply into these matters.

Of course, there are a number of good professional philosopher/theologians who try to support Christian theology from a non-faith-based perspective: people like Oxford’s Richard Swinburne (Dawkins cited him in his book) or Notre Dame’s Alvin Plantinga. But they are very much in the minority.

If you find anything let us know.

Yeah, i didnt mean the Christian version literally…just something similar where theology is discoussed. I’m going to explore Theologyonline and see what I find.

I want to discuss the same topics that are discussed here, but I hope to do so in a bit more hostile atmosphere :wink:

Posted: 13 November 2006 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

[quote author=“Jaik”]I want to discuss the same topics that are discussed here, but I hope to do so in a bit more hostile atmosphere :wink:

Best of luck to you!

:D

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 29 November 2006 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  973
Joined  2005-01-14

I hope you find a Christian forum to participate in, Jaik, because they spend a lot of time “preaching to the choir”, and they could really use a different perspective.  Most Christians tend to think that atheists don’t really exist!  They think that people like us just pretend we don’t believe in God because we hate him and we want to hurt his feelings or something!

I spend time at one called “Planet Wisdom”.  There was some resistance at first.  A few people were angry at their own administrators for even allowing an atheist in their forum (and at least one left the forum because of it), but by and large I get on pretty well with most of them.  The thing is, you don’t want to come across as disrespectful to their beliefs, or act as if you are trying to “convert” them.

Posted: 29 November 2006 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-19

Yah, I still haven’t found one i enjoy yet. I tried a few, but the formatting wasn’t as easy to read, and thus I became frustrated. It’s interesting you mention preaching to the choir, because I feel that this forum kind of suffers from that. Dont get me wrong - this forum is the single best source of discussion I’ve found yet concerning atheism, but I really savor a hearty debate with people like forthetruth.

I am sitting on a religious discussion panel tomorrow night, and I want to find some warm-up threads to get my mind working. Perhaps I will try Planet Wisdom…what is your screen name there?

Posted: 01 December 2006 02:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2006-11-30

I want to discuss the same topics that are discussed here, but I hope to do so in a bit more hostile atmosphere

For pure hostility, you can’t beat Usenet newsgroups.  If you want to argue with theists in a forum where most of the onlookers will be atheists, try alt.atheism or talk.origins.  If you prefer most of the peanut gallery to be Christians, try alt.religion.christianity or any of the other alt.religion newsgroups, each of which addresses a specific religion or sect.

Keep in mind that not all newsgroups welcome debate; some really do want nothing more than to “preach to the choir”, and just because you can barge in and fight if you want doesn’t mean it’s not rude.

Posted: 01 December 2006 02:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

I would echo LA Raymond here ... although clearly I am not opposed to blasphemy and rudeness in principle, it must be done judiciously. Better to be dispassionate and reasonable, or at least passionate and reasonable!

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 01 December 2006 03:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

[quote author=“Jaik”]It’s interesting you mention preaching to the choir, because I feel that this forum kind of suffers from that. Dont get me wrong - this forum is the single best source of discussion I’ve found yet concerning atheism, but I really savor a hearty debate with people like forthetruth.

That’s very true.  I’ve tried out a couple of atheist forums, and found that people tend to get really abusive of religion when they know nobody is going to argue with them.  We need a non-atheist around to keep us honest.

Perhaps I will try Planet Wisdom…what is your screen name there?

Over there I call myself “Odysseus”.

Posted: 01 December 2006 05:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-09-19

[quote author=“L Raymond”]

I want to discuss the same topics that are discussed here, but I hope to do so in a bit more hostile atmosphere

For pure hostility, you can’t beat Usenet newsgroups.  If you want to argue with theists in a forum where most of the onlookers will be atheists, try alt.atheism or talk.origins.  If you prefer most of the peanut gallery to be Christians, try alt.religion.christianity or any of the other alt.religion newsgroups, each of which addresses a specific religion or sect.

Keep in mind that not all newsgroups welcome debate; some really do want nothing more than to “preach to the choir”, and just because you can barge in and fight if you want doesn’t mean it’s not rude.

Yah, but pure hostility isn’t fun because the sheer irrationalism of most people who won’t listen is like debating with a brick wall.

Planet Wisdom is pretty interesting so far, many young adults from what I’ve seen. I’ll keep you posted.

Posted: 04 December 2006 02:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

[quote author=“Jaik”]Planet Wisdom is pretty interesting so far, many young adults from what I’ve seen. I’ll keep you posted.

I had no idea you were going to show up there so soon.  I didn’t notice until I had posted a few times that it billed itself as a Ministry for Teens.  Fortunately, most of the really young kids (down to 10 or 11) tend to stay in the frivilous threads about TV shows and musical groups and whatnot.  There are enough older people (some college students and youth pastors) for the more serious threads in the “Bible Questions” and “Apologetics” sections, which is where I tend to spend most of my time.

Still, I find myself biting my tongue most of the time, knowing that some little kid may be reading.  I try to say just enough to get them thinking.  As I indicated, I see my main purpose there as reminding them that atheists do in fact exist and that we really don’t believe in god.

If you find yourself in need of amusement, check out the threads on “Predestination” and “Free Will”.  For some reason, there are half a dozen people over there who LOVE to argue about these things.  Unless you’ve studied philosophy, however, you may find it hard to keep track of the twists and turns in their logic.  I know I gave up trying a long time ago!  wink

Posted: 11 December 2006 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2005-01-14

This might be crashingly obvious to some, but you shouldn’t overlook “neutral” forums, either.  Let me tell you my success story.  I first got on the Internet back in the year 2001, mainly because writing letters to the editor to my conservative local newspaper, the Augusta (Georgia) Chronicle, was very frustrating.  My letters (defending Evolution, usually) were always editted for space, and somehow my best points always seemed to get snipped.  The newspaper’s policy was to allow only one letter per month, and yet when I did patiently wait for 30 days to write a reply, the editor felt the public was suddenly “tired” of this controversy.  Curiously, my Creationist opponents always got in the last word, even so.

Then I discovered that the Chronicle ran an Internet forum, where none of these rules applied.  You could write as much as you wanted and reply as often as you needed to get your point across.  And you could ask questions, to clarify what your opponent meant.  This was wasn’t just sniping at one another; this was dialogue!  This was great!  The first thread I started was “Why do Christians seem to hate Atheists so much?”, which drew a LOT of replies.  Then I started threads on school prayer, on Church/State separation, on Creationism, and other matters which touched on religion.  Soon we had so many threads going on, the newspaper added a separate Religion section to the forum.

In the beginning, I was the only atheist contending with a dozen or so Christians.  I had to send an e-mail to the Atlanta Freethought Society’s newsgroup and ask for one or two allies to help me argue some Church/State separation points which I wasn’t sure how to respond to.  But before long, there were several agnostics and atheists coming out of the woodwork from the Augusta area.  One guy started as a church-going Christian and eventually admitted (thanks in part to our arguments) that he was sort of a borderline agnostic.  Finally, he came out and declared himself an atheist!  Nowadays there are so many of us, the Christians have been known to complain about being outnumbered!  Actually however, our numbers ( in terms of regular contributors) are about equal.  I guess they’re just so used to being in the majority, equity is scary for them.

But regardless of whether I won a single argument or not, time and time again these new atheists and agnostics will say that all their lives they had kept their mouths shut about what they believed, because they felt so alone.  Thanks to my encouragement, they were finally able to speak their minds.  It made me feel that, if I accomplished nothing else in my life, I had at least done something worthwhile.  You’re welcome to drop by augustachronicle.com/forums and peek in at the Religion section.  Then see if your own local newspaper has an online forum, and start your own success story!

Posted: 11 December 2006 03:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14

Those are superb ideas and great stories, advocatus. Shows what a difference one individual can make.

Signature 

Doug