Freethinkers are the underground at so called religious colleges
Posted: 05 November 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  235
Joined  2011-09-13

It is a shame that many schools won’t recognize any organization they don’t agree with.  One thing for certain, just because a college receives money from a church in no way makes it “religious”.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/at-religious-campuses-atheist-groups-operate-underground/2011/11/04/gIQA6YUtmM_story.html

Posted: 05 November 2011 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

Interesting article. I transferred to a Catholic university this fall and have given some thought to getting with the Secular Students Alliance and forming a chapter on campus. This give me more incentive.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 05 November 2011 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  582
Joined  2010-04-19

Are secular universities that few that non-theist students feel forced to attend religious colleges in order to study in their preferred field?

Signature 

Don’t get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

- Bruce Lee -

Posted: 06 November 2011 03:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2589
Joined  2011-04-24

Holy s***! I was not aware of that problem.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 November 2011 05:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

Secular universities are not that rare. I enrolled in a Catholic university because of its excellent academic reputation and because if offers the program I want where I need it. I am not a traditional college student. My wife and I own a house, she has an excellent job, and we do not want to uproot all that and move for a few years while I finish my degree. We’ll consider moving after I finish college.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 09 November 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-09-10
Cloak - 05 November 2011 08:47 PM

Are secular universities that few that non-theist students feel forced to attend religious colleges in order to study in their preferred field?

There’s a certain number of people wo loose their faith in religion while in school, as well as others who are put into schools due to religious parents.