5 of 13
Homosexuality
Posted: 21 January 2012 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5484
Joined  2010-06-16

Hmmm, I’m left handed, but thinking back, I’m sure none of my homosexual friends were left handed.  What can I make of that?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 21 January 2012 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Total Posts:  9292
Joined  2006-08-29

I am ambidextrous. Are there as many people who are ambidextrous as there are bisexuals?  grin

Posted: 21 January 2012 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

I’m sure there is something that could be made of that, but I’m not going to touch it with either hand.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 21 January 2012 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Joined  2006-08-29
Occam. - 21 January 2012 09:17 PM

I’m sure there is something that could be made of that, but I’m not going to touch it with either hand.  LOL

Occam

LOL

Posted: 22 January 2012 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Total Posts:  4442
Joined  2007-08-31
George - 21 January 2012 11:55 AM

Evolutionary explanation for what? For homosexuality?

No. for this:

Each side has its own amendment to the theory of evolution. Those on the right have ID and the left has its “flexible brain.”

cool mad

Signature 

GdB

“The light is on, but there is nobody at home”

Posted: 22 January 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

No, I don’t have an explanation for that. But maybe Jonathan Haidt will in his new book, “The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion.”

Posted: 22 January 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07
George - 22 January 2012 10:34 AM

No, I don’t have an explanation for that. But maybe Jonathan Haidt will in his new book, “The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion.”

LINK

Edit to add: Why can’t we have the cool cover???  LOL COVER LINK

[ Edited: 22 January 2012 11:11 AM by traveler ]
 Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 22 January 2012 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
Occam. - 21 January 2012 09:04 PM

Hmmm, I’m left handed, but thinking back, I’m sure none of my homosexual friends were left handed.  What can I make of that? 

`
The only thing I could make of that is…...neither you nor your homosexual friends are left-handed ;)

If only between 3-15% of the population is left-handed (number found just thru a few google searches), and if the percentage of homosexuals is roughly the same, that would mean the percentage of people who are left-handed and gay is probably pretty low :)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 22 January 2012 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14

`
Good lord, I had no idea how much stuff on sexual orientation and the left/right handedness thing is out there…...here’s just one i stumbled upon:

Handedness Findings Point To Biological Cause For Sexual Orientation

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 26 January 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

It it the opinion of this forum that homosexuality is somekind of disease that needs to be cured?  Must we trace the genes or brain function to come up with a cure? 

In my world, in every classification of art, music and theater there is a larger proportion of gays found.  Are they simply more talented because they are gay or did their gayness push them into areas where the arts are appreciated?  Personally I don’t care because my world is found in Shakespeare and Grand Opera.  I spent many years promoting chamber music groups and where or with whom my musicians slept was unimportant.

I grew up spending my Sundays on a hilltop in Tarzana where a wealthy dignified actor allowed the use of his special music room to bring in musicians for a performance called a classical salon.  He was a well known comic but his soul came from the music he promoted.  I learned that he was a closet homosexual and never marrying, spent his income on music lessons for his musicians.  When the County approved the Freeway through the Valley, they waited until his death before condeming his property in a show of respect.  If you are driving east on the Ventura Freeway, look for the enormous American Flag and that is where this marvelous man lived.  The street above the freeway still carries his name.  All that is left of his home, is his guest house that was moved to Calabasas.  It was restored in the same way it was when it sat on that hilltop.

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

No, Sandy, I don’t think that’s the opinion of most of the forum members.  It seems that the very early chemical and physical environment and maybe a bit of genetics are the most important factors in determining who we’ll be attracted to. 

And I recognize who you’re talking about.  I enjoyed the roles he played in movies.  As I recall, his initials were E.E.H.  smile

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Well, I wouldn’t call it a disease per se, but as I said earlier, the pathogenic theory of homosexuality sounds very plausible to me. Saying that, I would obviously never think that it needs to be “cured.”

Posted: 26 January 2012 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Total Posts:  419
Joined  2007-08-24

Bingo!  We got to know him at Hollywood Park where he often sat in my Grandmother’s box.  My mother had been a studio musician and accompanied many singers at his home.

I lived in Calabasas for over 20 years and one morning I saw this building being moved up Old Topanga Canyon Rd.  It turned onto Bluebird Rd. and around the mountain landing on Blackbird Way where we lived.  I recognized the building as being the old guest house.and then realized it had been saved from the demolition.  It is still there but surrounded by many tract homes.  It stands out like a jewel in the neighborhood.  The neighborhood had been part of Park Modern and used for years as movie sets.  My house was built to hold props and it was great fun to see our trees as smaller parts of the original land.  Back in the 20’s our land was seen in the old silent films.  Buster Keaton retired at the Calabasas Motion Picture Hospital and told my kids and me all about the land around our home.  We often visited the old actors and crew at the hospital and they shared some wonderful stories about the area.  My Dad has produced some of the early films and had worked with Howard Hawks. 

My son now has his own studio doing special effects for many movies.  He now lives on Blackbird Way across from my old home.

Posted: 26 January 2012 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Total Posts:  2631
Joined  2011-04-24

http://www.amazon.com/Price-Greatness-Resolving-Creativity-Controversy/dp/0898628393/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1327639960&sr=1-1  An interesting book.  Gay people are more numerous in the arts than straights; there is a fairly strong correlation between so called “non - reproductive sexualities” and creativity,innovation, artistic genius.  A stronger correlation between creativity and mental illness has also been established.  Perhaps genius is rare in everyone,but less rare in gays?  Maybe the arts are just a place where gays feel free to be themselves, so that’s why they end up there?

[ Edited: 26 January 2012 09:59 PM by mid atlantic ]
 Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 27 January 2012 01:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
Total Posts:  5995
Joined  2009-02-26
Axegrrl - 22 January 2012 04:52 PM

`
Good lord, I had no idea how much stuff on sexual orientation and the left/right handedness thing is out there…...here’s just one i stumbled upon:

Handedness Findings Point To Biological Cause For Sexual Orientation

`

I wonder if these findings could be extended to left or right brain orientaion. As I understand it men, in general, tend to be left brained whereas women tend to be more right brain oriented. As the right brain controls the left side of the body, perhaps gay men may be more right brain oriented which would explain a certain “sensitivy” to the arts, but also might express itself in the left hand orientation.

This is purely speculative on my part, but….......any thoughts on this??

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

5 of 13