7 of 29
Homosexuality
Posted: 17 July 2012 07:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 91 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2012-07-14
Write4U - 14 July 2012 03:31 PM
magus - 14 July 2012 08:17 AM

Homosexual people are mostly smart or talented. This is probably because they are those who really express what they really feel. smile

Not all homosexuals are out of the closet and none would be the wiser. Therefore I suggest that your statement be modified to include “Self declared homosexuals…..............

And in general, I can agree with that. The homosexuals I have had the pleasure of meeting, were for the most part smart and artistic, with a few exceptions.

I’m straight…. I agree with you, not all of them are smart, but mostly they’re artistic and fun to be with. smile.

Signature 

There’s no harm if we believe in Him.

Posted: 17 July 2012 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 92 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29
magus - 17 July 2012 07:40 AM

Homosexual people are mostly smart or talented. This is probably because they are those who really express what they really feel. smile

Not all homosexuals are out of the closet and none would be the wiser. Therefore I suggest that your statement be modified to include “Self declared homosexuals…..............

And in general, I can agree with that. The homosexuals I have had the pleasure of meeting, were for the most part smart and artistic, with a few exceptions.

I’m straight…. I agree with you, not all of them are smart, but mostly they’re artistic and fun to be with. smile.

You have to be careful here. You may be correct to say that a significant portion of male artists are gay, but it is surely wrong to assume that most gays are artists. Nothing wrong with stereotyping…as long as you get it right.

Posted: 17 July 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 93 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Agreed.  It appeared to me that there was a higher percentage of homosexuality among chemists than among the population in general, however, on thinking about it, I realized that a) I got to know more about other chemists I worked with than I did people in general, and b) one of my labs was in the San Francisco area which tended to attract gays from other parts of the country. 

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 17 July 2012 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 94 ]
Total Posts:  6109
Joined  2009-02-26
Occam. - 17 July 2012 11:46 AM

Agreed.  It appeared to me that there was a higher percentage of homosexuality among chemists than among the population in general, however, on thinking about it, I realized that a) I got to know more about other chemists I worked with than I did people in general, and b) one of my labs was in the San Francisco area which tended to attract gays from other parts of the country. 

Occam

But that would make them fall into the category of being smart, no?

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 July 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 95 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

I don’t know.  I’ve met some pretty stupid chemists. LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 July 2012 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 96 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
Axegrrl - 28 January 2012 02:34 PM

the only (potential) difference between the biological kids of hetero people and the biological kids of gay people is that the latter never involves any ‘accidents’ smile

`

Not so, I know plenty of (now) out of the closet gay and lesbians with children produced under many different circumstances while they tried to prove to themselves and everyone around them that they were straight. Most of these (that I know of) ended badly for all concerned, and the men for the most part, are not a part of their children’s lives. That was a past era, I do believe things have changed for the better since then..

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 July 2012 07:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 97 ]
Total Posts:  3191
Joined  2011-11-04

It would surprise me to learn that homosexuals are any smarter or more creative in general than heteros.  I expect that they would have a normal distribution of those qualities just as the larger population.  However, I suppose that among some artists who have become artists as a way of sublimating difficult emotions, might well be persons who have had difficult life experiences related to being homosexual in an unsupportive society.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 July 2012 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 98 ]
Total Posts:  7684
Joined  2008-04-11
TimB - 30 July 2012 07:52 PM

It would surprise me to learn that homosexuals are any smarter or more creative in general than heteros.  I expect that they would have a normal distribution of those qualities just as the larger population.  However, I suppose that among some artists who have become artists as a way of sublimating difficult emotions, might well be persons who have had difficult life experiences related to being homosexual in an unsupportive society.

Agreed. I’ve known some pretty unintelligent gays, there is no reason at all that the distribution curve would be any different.

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 30 July 2012 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 99 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 17 July 2012 09:24 AM
magus - 17 July 2012 07:40 AM

You have to be careful here. You may be correct to say that a significant portion of male artists are gay, but it is surely wrong to assume that most gays are artists. Nothing wrong with stereotyping…as long as you get it right.

Here we may have some level of agreement, George.  It is clear to me that discrimination is not a problem that we humans have, it is the lack of ability to discriminate well that is the problem.  For example, if we were able to effectively discriminate amongst others by the content of their character rather than by the color of their skin, or by their sexual orientation, or other superficialities, we would be much better off.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 31 July 2012 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 100 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
TimB - 30 July 2012 08:47 PM

Here we may have some level of agreement, George.  It is clear to me that discrimination is not a problem that we humans have, it is the lack of ability to discriminate well that is the problem.  For example, if we were able to effectively discriminate amongst others by the content of their character rather than by the color of their skin, or by their sexual orientation, or other superficialities, we would be much better off.

I’ve never really thought about it that way but you make a lot of sense. The other key I guess would be to ensure that we are discriminating on an individual basis and not on a group basis.

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 09 August 2012 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 101 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
FreeInKy - 31 July 2012 11:34 AM
TimB - 30 July 2012 08:47 PM

I’ve never really thought about it that way but you make a lot of sense. The other key I guess would be to ensure that we are discriminating on an individual basis and not on a group basis.

Indeed.  Discrimination on a group basis, is not a very fine discrimination at all.

Signature 

Posted: 10 August 2012 12:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 102 ]
Total Posts:  698
Joined  2007-10-14
asanta - 18 July 2012 01:30 AM
Axegrrl - 28 January 2012 02:34 PM

the only (potential) difference between the biological kids of hetero people and the biological kids of gay people is that the latter never involves any ‘accidents’ :)
`

Not so, I know plenty of (now) out of the closet gay and lesbians with children produced under many different circumstances while they tried to prove to themselves and everyone around them that they were straight.

`
But that’s involving those ookie gay/straight relationships ;)  not a same-sex relationship (which I should have been more clear in specifying)

And for those, that “gay people don’t have abortions. Support same sex marriage…for the children” bumper sticker holds true :)

`

Signature 

‘we are so fundamentally constituted of desire that we go on hearing music…...even though we know the band is gone and the stage is silent’

Posted: 18 August 2012 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 103 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21

I think everyone is born non-oriented sexually, contrary to those who may claim that they are “born” that way. Everyone would be open to most options given the chance to be themselves under varying conditions. The major contributors to choosing a lifestyle can be partially determined by genetic predispositions such as build, physical appeal, and hormones but how you are treated (& react) in your cultural environment goes a long way to determining how you will outwardly behave sexually. One of the biggest factors for me in allowing myself to be more open is due to the fear of losing what I prefer, namely women, in my case. I find that most of even the most liberal women do not like competition for their own status. They can have a great gay friend, but if you want a bi-sexual open relationship with her, she’d laugh at you. In ours, and most societies, the girl is still considered one to be taken care of while the man provides. If you’re in a relationship with a girl and another man enters into the picture too, this threatens her means of social, and most times, financial, survival. It is less taboo if another women enters the picture because it just says to the other women that this man can provide even that much better.

I saw a 20/20 episode yesterday all about lottery winners. There was this Spanish town (I think it was Spanish) where everybody in the whole town won some billion and up dollars except for one guy. I’m wondering since they are all millionaires now, does there sexual lifestyle open up considering they have no fears of losing anything to one another?

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

Posted: 18 August 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 104 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Scott Mayers - 18 August 2012 11:45 AM

I think everyone is born non-oriented sexually, contrary to those who may claim that they are “born” that way. Everyone would be open to most options given the chance to be themselves under varying conditions. The major contributors to choosing a lifestyle can be partially determined by genetic predispositions such as build, physical appeal, and hormones but how you are treated (& react) in your cultural environment goes a long way to determining how you will outwardly behave sexually. One of the biggest factors for me in allowing myself to be more open is due to the fear of losing what I prefer, namely women, in my case. I find that most of even the most liberal women do not like competition for their own status. They can have a great gay friend, but if you want a bi-sexual open relationship with her, she’d laugh at you. In ours, and most societies, the girl is still considered one to be taken care of while the man provides. If you’re in a relationship with a girl and another man enters into the picture too, this threatens her means of social, and most times, financial, survival. It is less taboo if another women enters the picture because it just says to the other women that this man can provide even that much better.

I saw a 20/20 episode yesterday all about lottery winners. There was this Spanish town (I think it was Spanish) where everybody in the whole town won some billion and up dollars except for one guy. I’m wondering since they are all millionaires now, does there sexual lifestyle open up considering they have no fears of losing anything to one another?

My guess is that if there were less social and cultural factors limiting homosexual, bisexual and heterosexual behavior, that there would be more of each and more individuals who partook in each.  But I do think there are biological factors that primarily predispose most people to either heterosexual or homosexual preference.

I think that it is possible that developmental experiences may shape some into preferences other than what they are biologically predisposed to, but my guess on this is that it is more of the exception rather than the rule.

Signature 

Posted: 18 August 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 105 ]
Total Posts:  514
Joined  2010-11-21
TimB - 18 August 2012 03:00 PM

I think that it is possible that developmental experiences may shape some into preferences other than what they are biologically predisposed to, but my guess on this is that it is more of the exception rather than the rule.

Genetic sexual preference, a condition that you are ‘born’ with, seems like claiming that someone can born with a genetic preference for someone with red hair, green eyes, and an income of $110,000.00/yr. It’s too complex a thought. Yeah, some birds and fish have simple genetic forms that innately make them to react to a shade of red. But to assert genetic inheritance of sexual orientation is not only unjustified scientifically, it is seriously detrimental to those people who have physiological aptitudes that fit a genetic prototype that others think they should be that they in fact do not. Maybe some flamboyant effeminate man may credit his preference for a strict gay lifestyle empowers him, but what about a man with the same characteristics who can’t get a date with a woman because he’s automatically assumed that he must be gay! He or she either gets with the program and acts according to social expectations or becomes silent and alone with the contradiction.

Also, is it true that if you are heterosexual, does that mean if you are male, that you are indifferent to which female in half the population of the world that you would care to be with? The so-called sexual orientation or preference is actually more of a description of what you do not prefer. Heterosexuals would better be described as those who do not prefer or eliminate sexual relations with the same sex, While strict homosexuals are those who do not like opposing sexual relations.

Signature 

I eat without fear of certain Death from The Tree of Knowledge because with wisdom, we may one day break free from its mortal curse.

7 of 29