Damn, missed again!
Posted: 06 November 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2291
Joined  2007-07-05

Asteroid 2005 YU55 to Approach Earth on November 8, 2011

Near-Earth asteroid 2005 YU55 will pass within 0.85 lunar distances from the Earth on November 8, 2011. The upcoming close approach by this relatively large 400 meter-sized, C-type asteroid presents an excellent opportunity for synergistic ground-based observations including optical, near infrared and radar data. The attached animated illustration shows the Earth and moon flyby geometry for November 8th and 9th when the object will reach a visual brightness of 11th magnitude and should be easily visible to observers in the northern and southern hemispheres. The closest approach to Earth and the Moon will be respectively 0.00217 AU and 0.00160 AU on 2011 November 8 at 23:28 and November 9 at 07:13 UT.

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news171.html

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 06 November 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  5191
Joined  2010-06-16

Assuming it’s in the same plane as the earth and moon, my concern is that, since it will be crossing the moon’s orbit twice, that it might get there the same time as the moon does.  This could kick up a great deal of rubble that could shower down on the earth.  (I know, we could keep tabs on it by watching it through the rubble telescope.)

Occam

(So Domokato, is being a wise-ass nerd worse than being a plain nerd?]

[ Edited: 07 November 2011 11:28 AM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 06 November 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24

Sounds cool, I’m going to check it out.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 06 November 2011 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Joined  2007-07-05
mid atlantic - 06 November 2011 09:27 PM

Sounds cool, I’m going to check it out.

It’s cool as long as they miss.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 07 November 2011 10:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
Occam. - 06 November 2011 12:45 PM

Assuming it’s in the same plane as the earth and moon, my concern is that, since it will be crossing the moon’s orbit twice, that it might get there the same time as the moon does.  This could kick up a great deal of rubble that could shower down on the earth.  (I know, we could keep tabs on it by watching it through the rubble telescope.)

Occam

I choked when I read that!! tongue laugh

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 08 November 2011 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  2591
Joined  2011-04-24

I don’t have a telescope, so I didn’t see the damned thing. mad

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 09 November 2011 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10
Occam. - 06 November 2011 12:45 PM

Occam

it’s better, of course!

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 09 November 2011 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

jup0613-c.jpg height=350px style=border : inset 4px #aa0044; margin : 1em 1em 1em 3em; padding : 4px; background : #f8d8d8; float : right;

Heh heh heh You missed us!  You missed us!  Now you’ve got to kiss us!  LOL

I suppose if it had hit the Moon, some impact rubble could hit us, but despite that chance… damn do I want to see the Moon get nailed!  That would be great!  To hell with the Monster Truck rallies!  It’s not as though the Moon hasn’t been hit before.  No-one is living there, yet.  I wonder if we could schedule it for the fourth of July?  People got excited when Jupiter got nailed.

[ Edited: 09 November 2011 02:02 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 09 November 2011 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  7641
Joined  2008-04-11
jump_in_the_pit - 09 November 2011 01:53 PM

I suppose if it had hit the Moon, some impact rubble could hit us, but despite that chance… damn do I want to see the Moon get nailed!  That would be great!  To hell with the Monster Truck rallies!  It’s not as though the Moon hasn’t been hit before.  No-one is living there, yet.  I wonder if we could schedule it for the fourth of July?  People got excited when Jupiter got nailed.

I suppose a physicist could figure it out, but I wonder just how big a piece of debris would have to be to affect the orbit of the moon enough to affect us? Either by pushing it significantly further out, or bringing it significantly closer. I know the moon is moving away from us incrementally, but what if something hurried it along?

Signature 

Church; where sheep congregate to worship a zombie on a stick that turns into a cracker on Sundays…

Posted: 10 November 2011 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Well if the impact that formed our twin planet, the Moon, couldn’t significantly change our orbit around the Sun or our Grand FinalĂ© dance with the Moon, the dance where we pirouette as our twin Moon faces us while backing away, then a little asteroid won’t affect the orbit or rotation much either.  I mean compare our orbit and rotation to the other planets without twins, ours isn’t kooky compared to the others, so not even a force big enough to nearly split the Earth in two can change that.  The rotation and the orbit of Earth and Moon is not to worry.  smile

F = mv^2

So a change in the velocity matters more than a change in the mass, and velocity is easier to change than mass, for a collision.

Calculating orbits is more involved and not my field.

Play the orbit game (click and drag the vector for your planet and don’t hit the Sun!) grin  There are many physics java applets and interactive flash simulations (aka games!) on the WWW if you search for them.  That one is more playful than most.

[ Edited: 10 November 2011 09:18 AM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 10 November 2011 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

Crap!  Everytime I place my planet I either hit the sun or create an elliptical orbit that would fry everything on Earth. I’d make a lousy god! But I can see where this game could be used in an astronomy class. I’m passing along the site to out Earth Science teacher. big surprise

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 10 November 2011 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Young man!  You will not get any work from NASA until you can create a stable geosynchronous orbit with your planet, and I don’t want to hear anymore of your smart remarks, just do your homework!  LOL

Math class should have more play, more simulations, more video games.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 11 November 2011 11:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  2891
Joined  2011-08-15

I’m a failure at this! I’m tired of you teachers bullying me. I’m joining the Army! LOL

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 21 November 2011 03:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2005-07-20

Its not to early to give a hint for the orbit game is it?  [ You just click-and-drag a vector that is tangent to the orbit you want.  Imagine a good circular orbit, then make a tangent line to it with your planet.  The length of the vertor depends on how far the planet is from the Sun, mine was about this (—————) far from the Sun, and about this (——————-) long a vector.  smile ]  Good luck.

[ Edited: 21 November 2011 03:25 PM by jump_in_the_pit ]
 Signature 

Posted: 21 November 2011 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2007-07-05

A distance of 250 with a velocity of 24 seems to work.

A distance of 200 with a velocity of 27 seems to work.

A distance of 100 with a velocity of 38 seems to work.

A distance of 50 with a velocity of 54 seems to work.

psik

[ Edited: 22 November 2011 01:17 PM by psikeyhackr ]
 Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental