Fracking and Earthquakes
Posted: 07 November 2011 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6516
Joined  2010-08-15

I’m not a fan of fracking at all.  The thought of all those liquids and chemicals being injected to fracture massive rock formations seems to me something that will lead to no good end, so far as fresh ground water and even ground stability.
I bring it up because I just ran across a most interesting article that goes into refreshing depth and it’s worth the read for anyone interested in the subject.
It’s a sober sounding scientific assessment, that incidentally doesn’t support my worst fears oh oh, but that did explain more than I’ve seen in any other news article on the topic.

fyi

Experts: Okla. quakes too powerful to be man-made
By SETH BORENSTEIN and JONATHAN FAHEY, Associated Press – Mon Nov 7, 6:08 pm ET

WASHINGTON – Thousands of times every day, drilling deep underground causes the earth to tremble. But don’t blame the surprise flurry of earthquakes in Oklahoma on man’s thirst for oil and gas, experts say.

Signature 

We need each other, to keep ourselves honest

Posted: 08 November 2011 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Good article, CC. Thanks. We have to find a better way to do stuff. Fracking is questionable enough (with flammable water coming from spigots etc.) but the injection wells seem absurdly abusive to nature.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 08 November 2011 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  2797
Joined  2007-07-05

But can fracking RELEASE an earthquake.

If the fault is under stress and will break loose sooner or later can fracking provide a lubricant causing it to release sooner?  This was discussed as a method of controlling earthquakes many years ago.  Pump water out to lock faults at two locations and pump water down between the two locations to create a localized quake.

psik

Signature 

Physics is Phutile
Fiziks is Fundamental
Since 9/11 Physics has been History

Posted: 08 November 2011 07:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2011-09-02

I like fracking, I want all 640 acres fracked as soon as they get the frack machine operating there in Texas panhandle, Terry county. I want to frack Wolfcamp/Spraberry formations all the way to the bank.
Fracking! I like that word, one of those manly man words, just right for roughnecks, land men and potential oil millionaires. frack, fracking, fracked. gotta love it!

Posted: 08 November 2011 11:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

frack you

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
no, no
just kidding don’t mean it, it was just hanging out there, someone had to do it   sick

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2011 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
psikeyhackr - 08 November 2011 01:39 PM

But can fracking RELEASE an earthquake.

did you read that article?

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2011 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  2901
Joined  2007-04-26
citizenschallenge.pm - 08 November 2011 11:22 PM

frack you

lol.. you must be a battlestar galactica fan

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 09 November 2011 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1808
Joined  2005-07-20

Fracking 101

So can the movement of a few rocks cause a chain reaction, so that many other rocks move?  What? Are they just playing a game of Jenga, they keep moving blocks until the structure falls?  Sounds pretty dumb, at least with Jenga you start off with a good stable structure, Earth is not that stable it quakes often.

Scientists are concerned that the lake behind China’s tremendous Three Gorges Damn are heavy enough to cause earthquakes.

Signature 

bicycles: less mass, no fuel, lower speed, more beautiful, more quiet, lower cost, less wear-and-tear on the roads, more social because you can talk to people beside you, low-impact heart healthy exercise, easy parking… they are not perfect, but are they better than cars?.

Posted: 09 November 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2010-08-15
jump_in_the_pit - 09 November 2011 04:59 PM

Fracking 101

So can the movement of a few rocks cause a chain reaction, so that many other rocks move?  What? Are they just playing a game of Jenga, they keep moving blocks until the structure falls?  Sounds pretty dumb, at least with Jenga you start off with a good stable structure, Earth is not that stable it quakes often.

Scientists are concerned that the lake behind China’s tremendous Three Gorges Damn are heavy enough to cause earthquakes.

Good write up, thanks… now it’s on to Three Gorges Damn - earthquakes.

Signature 

Posted: 09 November 2011 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2010-08-15

Oh boy.  i keep getting reminded of that line in the song:
“Maybe we had too much too fast”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Disaster worries plague Three Gorges Dam
  Source: Global Times - [May 24 2011]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Chinese study reveals Three Gorges Dam triggered 3,000 earthquakes, numerous landslides

Published on Jun 3, 2011 - By: Probe International

June 1, 2011 - A study by seismologists at the China Earthquake Administration, a government agency, has confirmed that the massive Three Gorges dam on the Yangtze River has “significantly increased” seismic activity along the dam’s reservoir. The study, recently obtained by Toronto-based Probe International, supports Chinese press reports and anecdotal evidence from Chinese citizens living in the vicinity of the Three Gorges Dam, and helps to explain the numerous landslides that have caused havoc in the region, necessitating the evacuation of 300,000 people. Part of the study in Probe International’s possession had earlier been published in a Chinese journal.

Signature 

Posted: 10 November 2011 08:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  3594
Joined  2011-08-15

Back to “Murica” for a moment. Our gov. is behind fracking 100% and uses increased jobs as the hook. He encourages frackers to come into our State and have their way with Ohio. It seems that we produce a goodly amount of natural gas (Appalachian portion of the State) here and Kasich wants us open for business. More earthquakes for Ohio? More flaming spigots?

http://thenewpolitical.com/2011/10/03/economic-benefits-for-fracking-in-ohio/

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine