Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Are you an artist, Chevstriss?

Posted: 12 November 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Quoting George:

. . . we seem to have very similar taste in music and movies.

I had noticed that, too, George.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 12 November 2011 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-11-11
George - 12 November 2011 05:45 AM

Are you an artist, Chevstriss?

meh, not really

Signature 

“It’s the same whether you’re a preacher, a lawyer, or a salesman. You start off with a person’s thought processes and then gradually sway him around to another way of thinking in a very short time.” - M. Gortner 1978

Posted: 12 November 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

No, the earworm phenomenon is something different; I don’t actually get those very often.

Unfortunately, I’m a bit prone to this one and it doesn’t help that the stuff which sticks is the elevator music played over the loudspeakers where I work.

I know the customers expect it and I understand the reasons for playing “popular” tunes but it’s still damned annoying and it’s the reason I try very hard to tune it out and play classical in my own home or car anytime I get the chance. It beats having to listen to some technoesoterica with the vocalists heaving and wheezing their way through the lyrics!

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 13 November 2011 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

I can’t stand it either, Curmudgeon. Our local radio station had a briliant idea how to solve the problem of restaurants playing loud and annoying music: on their website they list places to eat without having to be bombarded by decibels of stupidity. It’s been a great success!

Posted: 21 November 2011 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  1778
Joined  2007-10-22
George - 11 November 2011 09:26 AM

Have you ever liked a song so much that you will play it over and over until it completely exhaust you? I have been now watching this new commercial from the British Airways for about a week about a thousand times a day and I am tired. But I can’t stop. The same thing happened to me, for example, with Sagan’s opening monologue in Cosmos or Glass’s Metamorphosis. And there had been many more.

Do you have one like that?

Creating one of Dawkin’s memes is tough work at times. hmmm

Signature 

Gary the Human

All the Gods and all religions are created by humans, to meet human needs and accomplish human ends.

Posted: 22 November 2011 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  4865
Joined  2007-10-05

George, I do not understand why you would want to stop listening to Philip Glass.

Could be worse. You could have Highway to Hell* stuck in your head. I’m afraid the only cure for that is a guillotine.

* I apologize for linking to such a bad song. I was trying to make a point, but giving AC/DC further publicity, especially on a forum whose members are known for their exquisite musical taste, shows questionable judgment. I should have provided a link to the Chester Nimitz Oriental Garden Waltz instead. Get that one out of your head George. cheese

Signature 

You cannot have a rational conversation with someone who holds irrational beliefs.

Posted: 23 November 2011 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Joined  2006-08-29

Darron,

As I already said earlier, I seldom get earworms. (I do, however, cause them in other people, as I whistle a lot.)

And no, I don’t want to stop listening to Glass, except for that one time when I played his “Metamorphosis” for about two weeks straight.

(I am now on my iPhone and I’ll listen to the songs you have linked to when I get to my computer.)

Posted: 23 November 2011 06:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  6173
Joined  2009-02-26

I read somewhere that Dflat is the key of nature. Many animals sing in the key of Dflat. Paul Winter’s group “Consort” made a wonderful album with soprano sax improvisation on wolf (Wolf Eyes) and whale songs (Ocean Dream) He also did an album on the Grand Canyon.  All worthy of anyone’s library.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3JQF2NSlB0&feature=autoplay&list=AVGxdCwVVULXcZD31p4bjm09fkOR-5A1dL&lf=list_related&playnext=1

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 23 November 2011 06:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 13 November 2011 08:09 AM

I can’t stand it either, Curmudgeon. Our local radio station had a briliant idea how to solve the problem of restaurants playing loud and annoying music: on their website they list places to eat without having to be bombarded by decibels of stupidity. It’s been a great success!

More power to them. It’s a marketing trick to put loud music and bare floors/ceilings into restaurants. Patrons who can’t hear themselves talk will tend to eat and leave faster, turning tables over quicker.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 23 November 2011 11:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Of course there’s another factor.  I’m in five discussion groups, three that meet at restaurants weekly and two monthly and we make sure we never return to any place that too loud for us to hear each other easily.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 23 November 2011 10:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

More power to them. It’s a marketing trick to put loud music and bare floors/ceilings into restaurants. Patrons who can’t hear themselves talk will tend to eat and leave faster, turning tables over quicker.

I have a very effective way of dealing with that problem: I take my patronage somewhere else.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 24 November 2011 06:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15435
Joined  2006-02-14
Equal Opportunity Curmudgeon - 23 November 2011 10:10 PM

I have a very effective way of dealing with that problem: I take my patronage somewhere else.

Me too.  cheese

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 11 February 2012 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2012-02-11

While being placed on hold on a call to technical support the tune “Listen to the Music” by the Doobie Brothers played. Ever since then I’ve listening to it constantly through YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVgMzKMgNxw

Signature 

I’ll never die—I’ll just forget who I am.

2 of 2

‹‹ Andy Rooney      "MARJOE" documentary ››