2 of 2
11-11-11
Posted: 11 November 2011 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5178
Joined  2010-06-16

No, because the first thing I did was translate 2011 to its duodecimal equivalent:  1βα7.  The last two numbers of the year wouldn’t be 11 but rather α7.  The eleventh day of the month would be β and the eleventh month would be β.  Remember, “centuries” or rather, “duocenturies?” would be, in our number system, 144 years.  α7 is the last two digits of the year, similar to our 11 from 2011, and it would stand for 107 in our system.

Geez, I keep worrying about posting this stuff for fear of being called a nerd.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 11 November 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

Don’t let my comment get to you, Occam! It was a joke. Obviously, we’re all nerds here, as I will demonstrate…

Jump is right. a7 is 127, not 107. The reason you cannot just replace a with 10 (or 10 * 10) and add 7 to get 107 is because a is not in the “tens” place - it is in the 12s place! So it has to be multiplied by 12 before being added, like so:

a7 a*12 7*1

120 7

Besides, 2011 is actually 11b7 in duodecimal. (I cheated this time: http://www.cut-the-knot.org/binary.shtml ). So it would be b7/11/11.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 11 November 2011 09:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Total Posts:  1805
Joined  2005-07-20

Silly me starting my count at 2000 before converting to duodecimal.  When the world converts to duodecimal (or something better than decimal), I suppose that the centuries (10*10 = 100) won’t seem as special, but the duocentries (12*12 = 144), the duomillenia (12*12*12 = 1728) will be special along with the quadtries (4*4 = 16), the tritries (3*3 = 9) because 16*9 = 144 so we can have more partys.  smile  (4*4*4 = 64, 3*3*3 = 27, 64*27 = 1728)  We can change people. 

PlanetMath; duodecimal

Signature 

I saw a happy rainbow recently.

Posted: 11 November 2011 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-11-10
George - 11 November 2011 01:56 PM

I am not naïve enough to be a pacifist and I would probably even fight if I really had to, but I would also eat another human being if I really had to (and I am a vegetarian grin ). But just like I see no reason why I would feel the need to celebrate my cannibalism I am equally puzzled (and disgusted) by the honoring of those who would be just as fine with “a spinal cord instead of a brain.” I doubt you really believe that the presently serving U.S. soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan (and God knows where else) have a good reason to be fighting. Why celebrate them, then?

No - you’re just utterly naive - period. The text that follows your weak excuse for your prior post demonstrates as much. Additionally, it demonstrates an absolute ignorance of the culture of the best thinkers in our military. The best - do not want war. The best also understand that at times, it is utterly necessary to either stem bloodbaths or to preserve our very land and ideals. Other times - such as Iraq and Afghanistan, the wars were poorly chosen - as in unnecessary, and even worse - horribly executed.

War is ugly, war is horrible and those alone are reasons more to nod the hat to those who served. Ugly work that someone must do when, in particular, it really needs to be done.

As for those who are serving in conflicts you don’t agree with, I have to ask you - how did we get into those wars? Maybe its because people like you didn’t work hard enough to prevent them. Maybe you sat on your butt and voted for people who are mindless enough to play cowboy - or - you didn’t go out and knock enough heads (figuratively speaking) and talk enough out loud in public to deter the thinking that was so pervasive among the less thinking majority of our population. I’m a veteran and I narrowly avoided getting punched and thrown out of several retail establishments as the Iraq war loomed on the horizon. Why? Because whenever I overhear someone making some really ignorant statement regarding subjects of great weight - I open my mouth. I express my views and - being a pretty good debater - I tend to shut them up by embarrassing their thinking with concrete logic. Grocery Store, retail Store, Bank lines - anywhere and everywhere I hear stupidity that is obviously based on incorrect information - I open my mouth and let the moron know that he/she could end up embarrassed again, in public. I’m sure they didn’t think the guy behind them was going to pound them into the ground verbally before they got off on their little diatribes…

Sure - it would have taken the anger of millions on display to have prevented the war, but - did you even write any congresscritters with your concerns? Were you not persuasive enough to get your friends to get their friends and so on down the line to help form those millions?

This country (the US) was born with original sin, no doubt - nasty behavior towards the indigenous peoples and then slavery, limited rights for women, etc… But the goal is toward an ever more perfect union (hard to believe, I know) and in many ways - we have gone far in that direction. I could list a million ways in which we have not gone nearly far enough and would submit that for a good thirty years now we have, in several areas, been slipping backwards.

Hmmm, while the corporate corruption of Washington and the gutless nature of many of our pol.s has led to far greater investments in military goals than is clearly necessary… do you think for a minute that this country would long survive in the absence of a military? If you want to change the ugly aspects - then I guess you need to encourage more to do the same - but you don’t do it while urinating on those who did take time out to serve until such time as all arms can be safely set aside.

Your snide attitude - betrayed by your gutless ignorant little comment, “a spinal cord instead of a brain.”, suggests to me that - since you do not want to accept that the consequences of your (and my efforts) not being able to convince millions of others that war is a bad idea - you don’t really want to live in the United States, in fact, you shouldn’t. You do not want to accept the way a representative democracy works.

Tell me, how many times have you contacted a congresscritter about anything? No silver bullet mind you - but history has shown, even in fairly recent examples, that when enough people throw a fit - things change. I call, I write, often. I have additionally supported the OWS movements physically and financially.

By the way - our military swears to the Constitution, not to officials, therefore - in all probability, the military would actually protect you from an over-reaching government, especially since, for the most part - those in uniform today are decidedly brighter than a similar proportion in the past. In more instances than you probably would like to believe, an order to shoot live ammo into a crowd of American citizens would result in either a dead or arrested issuing officer.

To belittle those who served with your remarks is reprehensible. Now that I know you have established yourself as a self-serving pig… not just a naive commenter. Hey - watch out - your butt is about to engulf your head—- oh - - I’m too late.

Maybe someday you’ll even find a spine for yourself.

Posted: 11 November 2011 10:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  1995
Joined  2008-09-18

Me, I’m waiting until 11:11 PM tonight to really go wild.

Posted: 12 November 2011 04:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  4619
Joined  2007-10-05
Chris Crawford - 11 November 2011 10:28 PM

Me, I’m waiting until 11:11 PM tonight to really go wild.

Ha! Beat you to it. I started at 11:11 a.m.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 12 November 2011 07:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Total Posts:  9283
Joined  2006-08-29

A long post, LordNo. I am not sure if you’re expecting me to answer but seeing how differently we see things, it’s probably better if we let it be. To you killing people is “work” where I see it as murder. Perhaps a necessary murder at times, but hardly worth of celebrating.

Posted: 12 November 2011 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Total Posts:  5178
Joined  2010-06-16

I agree with you, George.  We can’t help getting low IQ psychotics on the forum from time to time, and it’s best to just let them babble for a while, get bored and go away. 

For JITP and Domokato:  Damn, you’re correct.  It serves me right for trying to convert from base ten to base twelve in my head after my evening glass of wine.

Occam

[ Edited: 12 November 2011 06:31 PM by Occam. ]
 Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 November 2011 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Total Posts:  2886
Joined  2011-08-15

Just for the record Lordno, and he didn’t point it out uh, George is Canadian.
Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 13 November 2011 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26

I always wondered why we send off our young men and women to die with a festive atmosphere, Souza marches, people cheering, flags waiving, just like a football game.
To me (growing up in Holland during WWII) war is a solemn enterprise, accompanied with much pain and misery.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 13 November 2011 05:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Total Posts:  5976
Joined  2009-02-26
thevillageathiest - 13 November 2011 06:40 AM

Just for the record Lordno, and he didn’t point it out uh, George is Canadian.
Cap’t Jack

A little example of going to (intellectual) war without knowing all the facts?

Lordno, no one here blames the troops in the field who just try to do the “job” they are assigned to do. The main thrust of the discussion, IMO, is that war should never be “glorified” for any reason. War is the devil’s playground.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

2 of 2