6 of 6
Great Resources for Info on Evolution and Darwin (Merged)
Posted: 20 November 2012 07:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15

If you want to add a book on your list that can help convince theists that Darwin is right, I recommend Kenneth R. Miller’s book. He’s a cell biologist and molecular biologist at Brown university. Here’s a review highlighting his main arguments:

http://energion.com/books/reviews/finding_darwin.shtml

Posted: 30 November 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3167
Joined  2011-11-04
dansmith62 - 20 November 2012 07:19 AM

If you want to add a book on your list that can help convince theists that Darwin is right, I recommend Kenneth R. Miller’s book. He’s a cell biologist and molecular biologist at Brown university. Here’s a review highlighting his main arguments:

That book appears to be a nice attempt to convert young earth creationists to theistic evolutionists, by using scientific explanations. But it would probably work on only a small fraction of creationists.  Out of (what to me seems an incredible number) the existing creationists in the U.S., most of them probably hold the belief, not because they can’t understand the science of evolution.  Their chosen beliefs are based, rather, on cultural pressures that creationism is “good” and anything that undermines it is “evil”. 

Perhaps a more direct attempt to convince these believers would be more effective., i.e., a well presented proposal that belief in “God using evolution as a fundamental process in his creation of the universe” is not evil at all, but indicative of God’s good and Holy Wisdom.  (I know this may seem a bit disingenuous.  I’m just saying it might be more effective.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 30 November 2012 06:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

If God was behind evolution, then what would be natural selection doing? You can either paint like God, say, like Rembrandt, or you can paint like natural selection, like Pollock. Big difference.

Posted: 30 November 2012 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Total Posts:  3167
Joined  2011-11-04
George - 30 November 2012 06:11 PM

If God was behind evolution, then what would be natural selection doing? You can either paint like God, say, like Rembrandt, or you can paint like natural selection, like Pollock. Big difference.

I wasn’t suggesting being logical. I was suggesting a way to influence religious believers to move away from the most preposterous position of young earth creationism.  I don’t think logic or science will influence those who believe in young earth creationism, as long as they feel that it is evil to seriously consider the science of evolution.

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 07 December 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  123
Joined  2012-11-15
TimB - 30 November 2012 05:19 PM
dansmith62 - 20 November 2012 07:19 AM

That book appears to be a nice attempt to convert young earth creationists to theistic evolutionists, by using scientific explanations. But it would probably work on only a small fraction of creationists.  Out of (what to me seems an incredible number) the existing creationists in the U.S., most of them probably hold the belief, not because they can’t understand the science of evolution.  Their chosen beliefs are based, rather, on cultural pressures that creationism is “good” and anything that undermines it is “evil”. 

Perhaps a more direct attempt to convince these believers would be more effective., i.e., a well presented proposal that belief in “God using evolution as a fundamental process in his creation of the universe” is not evil at all, but indicative of God’s good and Holy Wisdom.  (I know this may seem a bit disingenuous.  I’m just saying it might be more effective.)

I agree. Convincing hardcore creationists is almost impossible. I tried dozens of times in various forums and haven’t succeed in a single case. Frustrating. But there’s this large group of believers and believers with doubts age 15 - 25 who are still searching, who are still asking questions. They haven’t made up their mind. They meet creationists and are not convinced by the creationists’ arguments without having good counterarguments. Miller’s book might help here.

Were you able to change a creationist’s mind by using your “God using evolution as a fundamental process in his creation of the universe” is not evil at all, but indicative of God’s good and Holy Wisdom?

I’ve also heard the slogan “Evolution is creation in progress”.

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Total Posts:  2602
Joined  2012-10-27
erasmusinfinity - 23 April 2008 09:53 AM

Great.  I figured that since, being atheists, we all worship Darwin… We are Darwinists, right?  LOL

Atheists don’t worship anyone or anything.  That’s the point!

We accept hard evidence and reject baseless explanations and we appreciate people who have devoted their lives to discovering the truth about our universe and humanity.  If you call that worship you have a very odd definition of it.  You sound like a theist in atheist clothing.

Posted: 07 December 2012 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Total Posts:  3032
Joined  2010-04-26

That post is 4 years old.  You’re lecturing a ghost.  Or a zombie.  Whichever.

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

6 of 6