9 of 10
A question about humanism
Posted: 02 November 2012 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 121 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3028
Joined  2010-04-26

The “Golden Rule” also runs into problems when masochists are involved.  Talk about fertile ground for some hilarious faux pas. LOL

Signature 

“In the end nature is horrific and teaches us nothing.” -Mutual of Omicron

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 122 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Good point. smile

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 02 November 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 123 ]
Total Posts:  3052
Joined  2011-11-04
Occam. - 02 November 2012 09:54 AM

Quoting Write4U:

I like the golden rule, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”  as a general humanistic philosophy.

That version has always bothered me.  The slight change a famous Rabbi made seems much better to me.  First the problem with this.  I love Chinese food but German food is just OK.  You hate Chinese food but love German food.  I decide to take you to dinner.  Since I would be happy if you brought me to a Chinese restaurant, following the golden rule, I bring you to a Chinese restaurant and not a German one.

The better statement is:  Do unto others as they would have you do unto them.

Occam

A benefit of the original version would be that you get to have Chinese food and your guest gets an opportunity to desensitize to his aversion to Chinese food.

(I don’t have a problem with a little self interest being involved in relating to others.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 02 November 2012 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 124 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2012-10-26

“Treat others in the way they like to be treated.” This “rule” was initiated by Dr. Tony Alessandra
He maybe just translated the famous Rabbi? I prefer that one to the Golden too.
I neither like German not Chinese foods so would feel very sad if forced to eat any of that.

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 125 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

OK, Tim.  I love MSG so I bring him to a Chinese restaurant that uses it in everything and he’s allergic to it.  My self-interest might be tempered when he tries to eat the food and vomits on the table. sick LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 02 November 2012 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 126 ]
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26

What if they would have you kneel before them and worship them?

Sorry, Occam, I can’t buy into that one.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 02 November 2012 05:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 127 ]
Total Posts:  6012
Joined  2009-02-26
Dead Monky - 02 November 2012 09:58 AM

The “Golden Rule” also runs into problems when masochists are involved.  Talk about fertile ground for some hilarious faux pas. LOL

I don’t believe the golden rule is a literal concept which “forces” you to act the way you want someone to act toward you. It is intended to be a restrictive concept not an advocacy for action.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 02 November 2012 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 128 ]
Joined  2010-06-16
Write4U - 02 November 2012 04:55 PM

What if they would have you kneel before them and worship them?

Sorry, Occam, I can’t buy into that one.

While I was thinking of an answer to this, Write4U, I read your response to Dead Monky in the following post, and you answered yourself better than I could have.  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2012 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 129 ]
Joined  2010-04-26
Write4U - 02 November 2012 05:05 PM

I don’t believe the golden rule is a literal concept which “forces” you to act the way you want someone to act toward you. It is intended to be a restrictive concept not an advocacy for action.

I don’t believe what I wrote was a statement of literal seriousness.  More an exercise in facetiousness. wink

Signature 

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 130 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
Dead Monky - 04 November 2012 11:52 AM
Write4U - 02 November 2012 05:05 PM

I don’t believe what I wrote was a statement of literal seriousness.  More an exercise in facetiousness. wink

I bet that you have big facetiousness muscles.  (I notice that you exercise a lot.) (This is not a come on. I’m just exercising, too.)

Signature 

As a fabrication of our own consciousness, our assignations of meaning are no less “real”, but since humans and the fabrications of our consciousness are routinely fraught with error, it makes sense, to me, to, sometimes, question such fabrications.

Posted: 04 November 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 131 ]
Joined  2010-04-26

LOL You cheeky monkey, you. LOL

Signature 

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 132 ]
Total Posts:  946
Joined  2005-01-14

Or Confucius’ original version: “Do not treat others as you would not have them treat you.”  It doesn’t carry any obligation to go out of your way to do things, but simply not to treat others badly.

Posted: 07 November 2012 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 133 ]
Joined  2011-11-04
advocatus - 07 November 2012 11:34 AM

Or Confucius’ original version: “Do not treat others as you would not have them treat you.”  It doesn’t carry any obligation to go out of your way to do things, but simply not to treat others badly.

I think that I like that version the best.

Signature 

Posted: 08 November 2012 06:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 134 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  93
Joined  2012-10-26
advocatus - 07 November 2012 11:34 AM

I agree that it is good. Apart from that double negation looks incredibly logic to me smile
I am logically challenged so I prefer the more simple “treat others as they want to be treated”

I tested to google it. Put this in the search box for google. with exclamation marks

“treat others as they want to be treated”

Seems to be rather popular too. The good thing is that one start to listen to the other
in another way than if one start with ones own take on how I don’t want to be treated by them.
Or if I force my own preferences on them.

By using these words “treat others as they want to be treated” one get a hint
that one have to find out how they want to be treated before one even try
to act towards them based on ones own preferences on treatment.

Posted: 08 November 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 135 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

You’re right, Fred.  Empathy and understanding (knowledge about) the other person are essential.

Occam

Signature 

9 of 10