Wow, Now I Know How the Quackometer Feels!
Posted: 29 November 2011 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4095
Joined  2006-11-28

I recently started a thread about the Burzynski Cancer Clinic, and how a supporter of the clinic attacked the author of the skeptical blog the Quackometer in response, fighting facts, evidence, and substantive criticism with vacuous personal attacks and threats. As many of you know, I have my own skeptical blog challenging unproven or bogus claims about alternative veterinary medicine. I have received plenty of hate mail for this in the past, and even some oblique threats about litigation, but today I hit the jackpot in terms of vacuous personal attacks from supporters of an alternative practitioner I had the nerve to criticize.

The full details are in my most recent post, but I’ll give just a brief taste here for those interested in such things.

In early 2010, I wrote a post listing warning signs of quack therapies, and in this post I made brief reference to Dr. Andrew Jones, who has created a successful business marketing books, DVDs, newsletters and other sources of “secret” wisdom about animal health that less enlightened veterinarians don’t want clients to know about. Then in November of last year, I reported that Dr. Jones had been repeatedly sanctioned and fined by the veterinary licensing authorities in British Colombia for unethical and illegal marketing activities. On several occasions he acknowledged these violations in writing and vowed to comply with the authorities’ guidelines, but he repeatedly violated these promises. Eventually, Dr. Jones gave up his veterinary license so that he could continue his aggressive marketing business without being restricted by the rules other veterinarians must follow.

Dr. Jones recently Googled himself and found my article, and while none of the information can possibly be a surprise to him, it apparently hit a nerve.

His response was pretty free of any meaningful content, but his followers have since really gone to town, posting my name and home address on his web site and making comments like the following:

This idiot must not have much to do, or the jam to say who he is. That makes him a weak minded, useless piece of dog poop!

What a spineless excuse for a human being. This person thinks people will believe these lies about you.
This sceptivet sounds suspiciously like another site run by an individual calling themselves ‘scepticat’ or ‘sceptikat’- a highly volatile dictatorial site run by a wannabe megalomaniac. A truly disturbed person with a anger management issue venting via their little site to their own personal herd of sycophants. I would dismiss them like a fly on your arm. Just troubled souls with no purpose.

Just another stooge for corporate interests such as big pharma

Jehovah created all of the real foods & spices for treating specific diseases. It is admirable that some vets as well as medical doctors are returning to the idea that real foods & spices are an alternative to the poisons that big pharmaceuticals invented to increase their profits and destroy their customers.
You are a lying scumbag…… eat dog shit and die !!!! you evil money monger !!!!

I’m not sure I could find better proof that much of alternative medicine is far more like an extreme religious faith than like scientific medicine.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 29 November 2011 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  4840
Joined  2007-10-05

Does this mean you have hit the big time?

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted: 29 November 2011 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I suspect this is a pretty small-time group of zealots. They probably can’t compete with, say the British Chiropractic Association or the anti-vaccine lobby in terms of real intimidation. But I guess at least I know somebody is reading my stuff. Sheesh!

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place. 
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 29 November 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2210
Joined  2007-04-26

Its incredible isnt it. All you can do is shake your head. I dont suppose there is any way to reach those sorts of people but we need to continue to be the voice of reason so that people who re on the fence will have somewhere to turn. Most people know in their gut that this stuff isn’t right but they are becoming confused because of the increasing public acceptance of all this medical quackery.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 29 November 2011 04:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15395
Joined  2006-02-14

That’s really terrible, Brennen. But Darron is right—if you’re getting that kind of response it means you must be making an impact.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 29 November 2011 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

He at least has them worried. The grade-school writing skills and lack of substance tells what intelligence level MacKenzie is dealing with here. Somewhere south of average, I’m betting.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Posted: 29 November 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

This is a bit off topic Brennan but my own web site is in sad need of a major overhall. I created it more than ten years ago using Microsoft FrontPage and although its gone through some updates and additions its time for a major re-do. I would also like to include a blog so I’ll have a place to put my rants in case my patients don’t get enough of them in the office ( tongue in cheek). Ive been considering adding an Alt med area to my site for a while but wanted to wait until I remodeled the site first.

Anyway I was impressed with yours. Very clean and readable. I was wondering if you use a premade template that your web hosting service provides or did you use something to create it form scratch? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 29 November 2011 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

I just used the templates provided by my host, justhost.com, for the archive site (skeptvet.com), and I use wordpress for the blog. I am a total tech neophyte, and I’m sure I could do a lot fancier stuff with both sites, but I’ve found the “plug-and-play” stuff from my host easy to use and adequate for my needs. I have seen a few others try to set up sites and blogs using different tools that were far less convenient, so I guess it’s just luck of the draw. Other folks here probably could give you much more specific advice about the technical side of things.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
Johnathan Swift

Posted: 30 November 2011 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2007-04-26

Thanks for the info. Its one of those jobs I’ve been putting off.. like cleaning out the garage.

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2011 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Joined  2007-10-05

Since we’re off topic: My wife and I recently switched hosting companies after getting fed up with just host.com. Their tech support reps weren’t aware that the server hosting our web sites had crashed and kept sending us e-mails with instructions on how to configure our e-mail clients. Of course we never got the e-mails, and they would not have helped seeing as how the server was down. After a few minutes of research I found a discussion forum where other just host.com customers were experiencing the same problem. Our e-mail was down for three days, and it wasn’t until late on day two that I found a rep who knew what was going on, and even then I had to inform two other reps about the server problem. Just something to keep in mind when looking for a hosting company.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Signature 

Posted: 30 November 2011 10:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  1191
Joined  2011-08-01
mckenzievmd - 29 November 2011 03:34 PM

eat dog shit and die !!!! you evil money monger !!!!

So I guess my questions would be… is dog shit a food or a spice? And did you follow his Rx?  LOL

Signature 

Free in Kentucky
—Humanist
“I am patient with stupidity but not with those who are proud of it.”—Edith Sitwell

Posted: 30 November 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2006-11-28

Since I’m such a closed-minded skeptic, I ignored both halves of the Rx.

Signature 

The SkeptVet Blog
Johnathan Swift