Captain Beefheart
Posted: 02 December 2011 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  220
Joined  2011-10-01

Recently I’ve been really getting into the music of Captain Beefheart. Now, I first listened to his Trout Mask Replica (supposedly his masterpiece) many years ago, but I just didn’t enjoy listening to it and I pretty much wrote him off. This was a big mistake, though, and I’ve now found that some of his other albums are really great. I’m thinking in particular of Clear Spot, the Spotlight Kid, Safe as Milk, and Ice cream for Crow. I have to admit that I also enjoy listening to the cheesy Bluejeans and Moonbeams. And yes, I was also wrong about Trout Mask Replica!       

Is anyone else here familiar with his music?

Signature 

“Life is shit, but the graphics is good”

Posted: 02 December 2011 07:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2587
Joined  2011-04-24

In my late teens, I was in a band with some friends, the drummer had a taste for obscure music and thats how I was introduced to Beefheart; I was a little suprised by that music when I first heard it, but I liked the weirdness of it. Well, about half of “Trout Mask Replica” I could do without, about half of “Clear Spot” also!  He’s not one of my favorites, but I do like him.  MY SMILE IS STUCK,I CANNOT GO BACK TO YOUR FROWNLAND…

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 02 December 2011 08:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4618
Joined  2007-10-05

Captain Beefheart has long been one of my favorites. His music is an acquired taste for most people, but once you get it you’ll find many grunge bands based their careers on Beefheart licks. Safe as Milk is one of the great songs of all time.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

‹‹ Barefoot Girl      V for Vendetta ››