Definition of Atheism
Posted: 02 December 2011 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-12-02

I know this idiot’s definition of atheism is wrong but I don’t know how to counter his argument because he tries to use the root meaning of the word in Greek and I don’t know any Greek. A little help? I am I wrong on my intuition here?

His article is here: http://bit.ly/tsrIag

Posted: 02 December 2011 06:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

There seem to be plenty of well reasoned answers in the blog’s comment section expelling why the author of that post is wrong. But my guess is that he already made up his mind. If I were you I wouldn’t try to prove him wrong. It’ll be a complete waste of your time.

[ Edited: 02 December 2011 07:42 PM by George ]

Posted: 02 December 2011 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

I can’t speak to the overarching point this blogger is making, but his definition of atheism is quite right. An atheist claims to believe that God does not exist. An agnostic claims not to know whether or not God exists.

We’ve had quite a long thread about this on the forum ...

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 03 December 2011 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2011-11-30

Let’s assume that he’s correct about the ancient Greek, as I do not know. Who cares? It is incorrect to say that words “mean” the literal definition of the words’ component parts as defined 2500 years ago. A hippopotamus is not a river horse.  A philosopher is not someone in love with the goddess Sophia.

And also this guy is, forgive me, a Tool. “A true Atheist however is not someone that is open to the possibility of God’s existence.” This is a Christian view of atheists as people who know there is a God, but just refuse to admit it.  I don’t know a single atheist who would maintain disbelief after being shown proof of a being’s existence.

And I will eat my hat if Toolio can give a falsifiable definition of God. Sorry for the language, but this ticked my tock.

Signature 

I would like to thank everyone at CFI for their hard work and all the forum participants for their thoughtfulness and good manners.

Posted: 03 December 2011 02:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  2680
Joined  2011-04-24
Charles Collom - 03 December 2011 01:28 AM

Let’s assume that he’s correct about the ancient Greek, as I do not know. Who cares? It is incorrect to say that words “mean” the literal definition of the words’ component parts as defined 2500 years ago. A hippopotamus is not a river horse.  A philosopher is not someone in love with the goddess Sophia.

And also this guy is, forgive me, a Tool. “A true Atheist however is not someone that is open to the possibility of God’s existence.” This is a Christian view of atheists as people who know there is a God, but just refuse to admit it.  I don’t know a single atheist who would maintain disbelief after being shown proof of a being’s existence.

And I will eat my hat if Toolio can give a falsifiable definition of God. Sorry for the language, but this ticked my tock.

Yeah, this person seems like a jerk off, but he would say the same about us. Completly wrong, he is.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.