New skeptically themed website/podcast
Posted: 06 December 2011 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-12-06

Hello everyone,

My name is Guy McCardle and I’ve been blogging for a while at Skeptoid’s blog.  I couple months ago I decided to start my own skeptically themed website/podcast.  I call it The Inconvenient Truth and you can find it at http://www.theinconvenienttruth.org.  The podcast is available from iTunes. 

My goal is to provide high quality, well researched content presented in an entertaining way.  I am trying to make my readers think about what they read and comments are welcomed and appreciated.  Please feel free to stop by and let me know what you think of the site.  Drop me a note and let me know what topics you’d like to hear more about in the future. 

Hope to see you there soon!

—Guy McCardle
<a href=“http://www.theinconvenienttruth.org”> The Inconvenient Truth

Posted: 06 December 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

Welcome and thanks. Just downloaded a couple of your podcasts on to my iPhone. I’ll take a listen on the way home tonight

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 06 December 2011 04:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-06

Thanks so much.  If you like them, please spread the word. If not, let me know what would make them better. 

—Guy

Posted: 06 December 2011 07:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2018
Joined  2007-04-26

Guy - I listened to your homeopathy and vaccine podcasts on the way home. Nice work. I listen to lots of podcasts every week, probably 10 hours or more. Mostly science and medicine. Makes the yard work and the commute a lot easier to get through. I thought you did a good job overall.  You have a good radio voice and took a very even handed approach to the subjects. That’s not easy to do especially when, as physicians we get frustrated with some of the misinformation and sloppy thinking thats surrounds these topics.

For what its worth, and this isn’t a criticism, I found the single person, monologue format a little “lonely”..for lack of a better word. Maybe its just me, but most of the podcasts Im used to listening to are done either in an interview format or with a group of speakers/hosts/whatever. I guess it depends on the audience you’re trying to reach and the material your trying to present. Sometimes just having a friend or a spouse there to feed you questions and to banter with gives the presentation more life. Anyway that’s my 2 cents. You did a much better job than i would have done on my first few efforts. Keep casting and I’ll keep you on my podcast subscription list.

Nice web site by the way.

Signature 

For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, obvious,.... and just plain wrong

Posted: 06 December 2011 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-06

Hi Mac, 

I appreciate the comments.  I listen to a good deal of podcasts myself and it’s totally different on the broadcasting end of things.  Probably my biggest challenge has been keeping my bulldogs quiet while I record. 

After listening to my podcast, you probably guessed that I listen to a lot of the Skeptoid podcasts (I’ve heard them all). I’ll have to make a conscientious effort to differentiate myself from them. I know what you mean about the “lonely” thing.  It is very difficult to keep the attention of an audience with just the sound of one voice and nothing else.  I’ve been thinking about adding musical intros and outros and having an announcer introduce each podcast.  That should break up the monotony a bit.  My goal right now is to put out a new podcast each Friday. 

Thanks again for the two cents.  smile

—Guy

Posted: 06 December 2011 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  4626
Joined  2007-10-05

Guy, I just subscribed to your podcast and listened to the first episode. I don’t mind monologue podcasts as long as they are short. I found your homeopathy podcast well done, and will add your podcasts to my regular rotation. I find listening to podcasts keeps me more patient in traffic, especially when the podcasts hold my attention. Keep up the good work.

I do have one suggestion. The recording makes your voice sound a bit tinny, as if you were recording in a room with little to no sound deadening. Placing some sound absorbing panels around your microphone and adding a touch of bass in post precessing should fix that.

Signature 

“In the beginning, God created the universe. This has made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.”
Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe