Poll
Title of my book is Post Script to a Christian Nation. Without knowing anymore about the book, is your reaction necessarily negative since I’m not S
I hate it. Only Sam Harris has a right to use this title. 0
I wouldn’t buy it once I knew that it wasn’t Sam Harris" 0
I would keep an open mind until I knew more about the book. 4
I would actively seek to learn about the book. 0
Total Votes: 4
You must be a logged-in member to vote
New member (writer) wants your reaction to a book title
Posted: 09 December 2011 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-10-27

Hello everyone,

This looks like a better forum than I’ve found before.  The working title of my book is Post Script to a Christian Nation.  I know that could cause some emotionaly charged reactions.  Without knowing anymore about the book, is your reaction necessarily negative since I’m not Sam Harris?

I don’t know if this reference will make it through forum regs, but if it does, you can see more about the book at secularholyman.com. 

A lot of my subject matter deals with the likely path of religion’s origin earlier in our evolution.  Much of the more recent path is getting a little heavily trodden.  I think I’ve brought some new scenarios and possibilities to this enlarged/enhanced story.  Another treatment of the the subject seems warranted to me as there are a number of us nonbeliever’s rock star scientists seem opposed to the idea that there’s much in the way of heritable genetics to the story of religion.

Another aspect of the book which may be even more controversial is a spiritual aspect.  Not a supernatural realm, but what we have inside or what we feel becuase of what we’ve inherited.  We may be just as spiritual as beleivers, but only we know there’s not a correspondent “worlkd beyond” so our fulfillment needs to come from another source. 

Any writers out there who like to swap ideas?

I see the poll has cut off some text and I’m not finding a way to modify it.  It ends with the phrase “since I’m not Sam Harris.”

[ Edited: 09 December 2011 08:32 AM by Secular Holy Man ]

Posted: 09 December 2011 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Welcome. We’re open to almost any discussion. Many of us react with a sour puss to words like spiritual. Look forward to seeing you around and I’ll check out your link.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 14 December 2011 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2011-09-13
Secular Holy Man - 09 December 2011 08:18 AM

Hello everyone,

This looks like a better forum than I’ve found before.  The working title of my book is Post Script to a Christian Nation.  I know that could cause some emotionaly charged reactions.  Without knowing anymore about the book, is your reaction necessarily negative since I’m not Sam Harris?

I don’t know if this reference will make it through forum regs, but if it does, you can see more about the book at secularholyman.com. 

A lot of my subject matter deals with the likely path of religion’s origin earlier in our evolution.  Much of the more recent path is getting a little heavily trodden.  I think I’ve brought some new scenarios and possibilities to this enlarged/enhanced story.  Another treatment of the the subject seems warranted to me as there are a number of us nonbeliever’s rock star scientists seem opposed to the idea that there’s much in the way of heritable genetics to the story of religion.

Another aspect of the book which may be even more controversial is a spiritual aspect.  Not a supernatural realm, but what we have inside or what we feel becuase of what we’ve inherited.  We may be just as spiritual as beleivers, but only we know there’s not a correspondent “worlkd beyond” so our fulfillment needs to come from another source. 

Any writers out there who like to swap ideas?

I see the poll has cut off some text and I’m not finding a way to modify it.  It ends with the phrase “since I’m not Sam Harris.”

Welcome.  I’m not sure what the make up of a secular holey man would be but its an interesting thought.

Posted: 14 December 2011 06:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  7614
Joined  2007-03-02

Welcome.  You can’t judge a book by its cover, author, or title alone.  I feel one must have at least a summary of the book before deciding if they are interested in reading it or not.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 14 December 2011 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Total Posts:  6166
Joined  2009-02-26

The title gave me an impression of the death of a christian nation. I’m not sure if that is the message you wanted to convey as christianity is obviously still alive, if not well.
It also begs the question if the book is addressing theists or non theists. Your nom de plume makes it even more confusing.
But from your short OP, I believe that with the word “spiritual” you mean as related to the human spirit, rather than the supernatural. IMO that might be worth reading, more so than another book on the history and evolution of supernatural spirituality.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 17 December 2011 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-12-02

A small thing, but…

...is not Postscript one word?

Posted: 17 December 2011 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  5551
Joined  2010-06-16

Sure, but what if you nail a copy of the text for a television program to a telephone pole?  Wouldn’t that be a post script?  smile

Sorry about that.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 18 December 2011 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

Without knowing anymore about the book, is your reaction necessarily negative since I’m not Sam Harris?

It’s really something I wouldn’t worry about it. By the time all the wrangling and discussions are done which lead up to publication, it’s very likely that you will have changed the title anyway.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.