V for Vendetta
Posted: 12 December 2011 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5173
Joined  2010-06-16

My daughter gave me a subscription to Netflix for an Xmas present, and set me up with a list of films.  The first two were “V For Vendetta” and “Capitalism: A Love Story.”  All I can say is, “Geezus Chreist”.  I’m a pretty stong liberal, but I wasn’t expecting anything as powerful as both of them.  I stongly suggest, that if you haven’t watched them, you check them out.

Occam

Signature 

Succinctness, clarity’s core.

Posted: 13 December 2011 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15305
Joined  2006-02-14
Occam. - 12 December 2011 10:06 PM

My daughter gave me a subscription to Netflix for an Xmas present, and set me up with a list of films.  The first two were “V For Vendetta” and “Capitalism: A Love Story.”  All I can say is, “Geezus Chreist”.  I’m a pretty stong liberal, but I wasn’t expecting anything as powerful as both of them.  I stongly suggest, that if you haven’t watched them, you check them out.

Haven’t seen either of them, but I know the first movie is adapted from a comic by the great (and greatly loony) Alan Moore. It’s one on my shortlist to read. He was actually a main speaker at a recent TAM London, IIRC.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 13 December 2011 08:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Total Posts:  3121
Joined  2008-04-07

Eh, you just like Natalie Portman.  cheese

Capitalism: TLS was very good.
V for Ven was pretty good (It’s only available on DVD through Netflix - no instant view)

We cancelled the DVD part of Netflix but still have the streaming stuff.

Signature 

Turn off Fox News - Bad News For America
(Atheists are myth understood)

Posted: 13 December 2011 08:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  2587
Joined  2011-04-24

” V” is a pretty good movie, I saw it a few years back; I haven’t caught “Capitalism a true love story and probably never will, for I can’t stand Michael Moore.

Signature 

Raise your glass if you’re wrong…. in all the right ways.

Posted: 13 December 2011 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

You nailed it, Traveler.  She is one of my favorites. smile

Mid Atlantic, I do sort of have to agree about Moore’s personality and intrusiveness.  However, if you can get past that and the emotional scenes he includes, the well documented data he presents is worth watching the film.  I suggest that you might want to get it and just mute the sound whenever he’s on screen.

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 13 December 2011 12:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22

“V” was pretty good, and I also remember that it had a pretty good music soundtrack.

Never heard of “Capitalism: A Love Story.” If it’s Michael Moore, I probably won’t like it. I remember watching one of his other documentaries - Bowling For Columbine I think it was - and wasn’t impressed one bit.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk

Posted: 13 December 2011 11:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Total Posts:  7506
Joined  2007-03-02

I don’t think I’ve seen either of them.  I’ll have to check them out sometime.

Signature 

Mriana
“Sometimes in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark.” ~ Iris Hineman (Lois Smith) The Minority Report

Posted: 14 December 2011 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  1201
Joined  2009-05-10

V was good. (And yes, I do like Natalie Portman smile)

Capitalism: A Love Story was great. It’s better than his other work. More well-reasoned and well-researched, better emotional content, less annoying. He said in an interview that his previous movies were leading him in this direction and he’s finally come out with a movie that he feels gets at the root of the issues he’s been documenting, and I would have to agree. It’s very much aligned with the Occupy movement.

Signature 

“What people do is they confuse cynicism with skepticism. Cynicism is ‘you can’t change anything, everything sucks, there’s no point to anything.’ Skepticism is, ‘well, I’m not so sure.’” -Bill Nye

Posted: 16 December 2011 05:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  2283
Joined  2007-07-05

I saw V in the theater and got the DVD later.  It’ great. 

I haven’t seen the other one.

psik

Signature 

Fiziks is Fundamental

Posted: 31 December 2011 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-11-11

just watched it again last night on BBC America.  It is the first time I’ve seen it from beginning to end - I think I’ve seen the finale about 15 times for some reason.

damn he was so sexxxaaaaaay.

I wanted her to tell him they could keep all the lights off it he was self conscious about the burns and then they could DO EEEEET.

Signature 

“It’s the same whether you’re a preacher, a lawyer, or a salesman. You start off with a person’s thought processes and then gradually sway him around to another way of thinking in a very short time.” - M. Gortner 1978

Posted: 10 January 2012 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2012-01-10

Interesting note about the writer of “V for Vendetta” who was also the director of the “Matrix” movies is that he got a sex change operation and is now a woman. Cool.

I have a love/hate relationship with Natalie Portman. She’s sexy, semi-smart and sooo pretty. But I hate that she’s vegan.

Signature 

I, therefore I AM.

Posted: 10 January 2012 08:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2010-06-16

Yeah, how could she be so cruel to poor, defenseless vegetables?  LOL

Occam

Signature 

Posted: 10 January 2012 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  1396
Joined  2010-04-22
LuckyBezel - 10 January 2012 04:12 PM

Interesting note about the writer of “V for Vendetta” who was also the director of the “Matrix” movies is that he got a sex change operation and is now a woman. Cool.

Co-director with Andy Wachowski.

Signature 

“All musicians are subconsciously mathematicians.”

- Thelonious Monk