1 of 3
Witchcraft on the rise again!
Posted: 14 December 2011 03:21 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  636
Joined  2010-07-01

Witches Beheaded

I guess it’s safe to say that not all Muslims are crazy, but how the Hell are we suppose to tell the crazy ones from the sane ones? Just because there’s only a very small minority of Muslim lopping off heads, doesn’t mean the rest of the Muslims community disagrees with what’s going on.

[ Edited: 14 December 2011 03:25 AM by ExMachina ]

Posted: 14 December 2011 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Total Posts:  1283
Joined  2011-03-12

I guess it’s safe to say that not all Muslims are crazy, but how the Hell are we suppose to tell the crazy ones from the sane ones?

This may be placing the cart before the horse. I suppose you could call religion a form of insanity but the scary part about this is that within the context of thier belief system, these people are entirely rational. The problem is that they are also thoroughly steeped in thier own superstition so that to them, things like sorcerers, witches and the like are hoestly believed to be real.

Signature 

Question authority and think for yourself. Big Brother does not know best and never has.

Posted: 14 December 2011 05:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
Total Posts:  15368
Joined  2006-02-14

Re. the article:

Luther said that a charge of sorcery is often used by the Saudi government as a smokescreen under which they punish people for exercising freedom of speech.

So it seems a standard euphemism for people who say things against the government, or who ask for liberties the government isn’t willing to provide. It’s possible in this case and others that the main crime is actually something relatively prosaic like being an agitator.

Signature 

Doug

-:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:- -:—:-

El sueño de la razón produce monstruos

Posted: 14 December 2011 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

I don’t know Doug, the Saudi religious police actually have an “anti-Witch” unit and an anti-witch hotline in their department. If they didn’t actually believe that witches existed then why would they even bother? Another example of their anachronistic behavior!

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 December 2011 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
thevillageathiest - 14 December 2011 07:02 AM

I don’t know Doug, the Saudi religious police actually have an “anti-Witch” unit and an anti-witch hotline in their department. If they didn’t actually believe that witches existed then why would they even bother? Another example of their anachronistic behavior!

Could be, I don’t know enough about the facts. Certainly in parts of the less developed world people still believe in such things.

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 14 December 2011 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Jack,

Didn’t Vatican also have an “anti-Witch” unit? What do you think was the Inquisition’s motive behind the fight against heresy and witchcraft? I grew up in a town with the history of one the worst witch trials in Europe. I am quite familiar with what happened in my town in the late 17th century and let me assure you it was all about money and power. The same happened with the oppression of the Jews by the kings of Bohemia. Need money? Accuse the Jews of killing Christ, send them to jail (or worse) and take their money. The second voyage of Christopher Columbus to Americas, for example, was basically “sponsored” by money taken from the Spanish Jews. Religion is just a tool. Just like the knife.

Posted: 14 December 2011 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
Joined  2006-02-14
George - 14 December 2011 07:34 AM

Didn’t Vatican also have an “anti-Witch” unit? What do you think was the Inquisition’s motive behind the fight against heresy and witchcraft? I grew up in a town with the history of one the worst witch trials in Europe. I am quite familiar with what happened in my town in the late 17th century and let me assure you it was all about money and power. The same happened with the oppression of the Jews by the kings of Bohemia. Need money? Accuse the Jews of killing Christ, send them to jail (or worse) and take their money. The second voyage of Christopher Columbus to Americas, for example, was basically “sponsored” by money taken from the Spanish Jews. Religion is just a tool. Just like the knife.

Right. Sociologically, witches were usually marginal and troublesome old ladies who were thorns in the side of the populace, perhaps mentally ill old ladies, who could be conveniently scapegoated and done away with. But in these cases the people involved also believed the stuff. That is, they believed that there were special humans called “witches” with magical powers from Satan.

Question is whether nowadays Saudi Arabian police believe the same thing or are just using it as a convenient front. In one sense I suppose it doesn’t make a difference, but in another it does. (Viz., if they really do believe there are witches then it is at least theoretically more possible to end the practice of killing them by presenting evidence that there aren’t actually witches. If they don’t believe in witches but are using them as a front, then it wouldn’t matter what evidence one had about witches. At most they would just use a different front).

Signature 

Doug

Posted: 14 December 2011 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Total Posts:  3156
Joined  2011-08-15

Jack,

Yep! Right on the money here George. And the expulsion of the Jews actually began AS Columbus set off on his first voyage. He mentions it in writing. My point is that no matter the motivation, the Western nations don’t hunt witches or vilify people today just to steal their money. They can do this easily through taxation!  After reading up on this a bit I really believe that they take this withcraft idea seriously. I know that the article may be from a paper with preconcieved notions but read for yourself:

http://www.jpost.com/MiddleEast/Article.aspx?id=230183

Cap’t Jack

Signature 

One good schoolmaster is of more use than a hundred priests.

Thomas Paine

Posted: 14 December 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  9301
Joined  2006-08-29

Sure, Doug. The people accusing their neighbours might have believed that the old lady was a witch (although I imagine in most cases they simply disliked the neighbour for some other reason), but I doubt that those in charge were that ignorant. If you want to take money from the “rich witches,” you’ll need the support of the people and let them participate in the game. Politicians play these sort of tricks all the time.

Posted: 15 December 2011 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09

Surely the title of this thread should be “Anti-“Witchcraft” paranoia on the rise again?”

Theflyingsorcerer

Posted: 15 December 2011 04:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
Theflyingsorcerer - 15 December 2011 11:16 AM

Surely the title of this thread should be “Anti-“Witchcraft” paranoia on the rise again?”

Theflyingsorcerer

Why suck all the fun out of making an outrageous title? The title was being tongue and cheek.

Posted: 15 December 2011 04:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  6046
Joined  2009-02-26

Personally I like the practice of exorcism. It is effective and so much more entertainig to watch than just having someone’s head lopped off.

Freddie Kruger doesn’t stand a chance.

Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 December 2011 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2010-10-09
ExMachina - 15 December 2011 04:14 PM

Why suck all the fun out of making an outrageous title?

Somehow I don’t think that the poor woman who got beheaded for dispensing herbal remedies was having much fun. Nor, Write4u, does the idea seem very entertaining. But I guess that’s just me being a party pooper.

Theflyingsorcerer.

[ Edited: 15 December 2011 08:50 PM by Theflyingsorcerer ]

Posted: 15 December 2011 09:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Joined  2009-02-26
Theflyingsorcerer - 15 December 2011 08:47 PM

Somehow I don’t think that the poor woman who got beheaded for dispensing herbal remedies was having much fun. Nor, Write4u, does the idea seem very entertaining. But I guess that’s just me being a party pooper.

Theflyingsorcerer.

You’re right, it is just another examle of the madness of religious fervor. In Europe we practised “inquisition or putting to the test” and in Salem we burnt or drowned witches, not so very long ago.

I was drawing a comparison to the modern western practice of exorcism.

It was more in response to the “outrageous title”.

[ Edited: 15 December 2011 09:22 PM by Write4U ]
 Signature 

Art is the creation of that which evokes an emotional response, leading to thoughts of the noblest kind.
W4U

Posted: 15 December 2011 10:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2010-07-01
Theflyingsorcerer - 15 December 2011 08:47 PM

Theflyingsorcerer.

Yes, it is you being a party pooper, and Write4u shouldn’t have to justify his posts to you, but for some reason he felt that he should. Some people like to weep for all the sadness of the world, and some people just mock the ridiculousness of the world. I personally mock stupidity in the best way I know how, so if my methods go beyond your moral radar, so be it, but don’t expect me to live by your rules.

Posted: 16 December 2011 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2009-02-26

What can I say, I’m an empath.

Signature 

W4U

1 of 3