1 of 6
Fish oil, dose it work?
Posted: 15 November 2006 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2006-11-10

I’m curious if anyone has any hard info on fish oil to see if it acutally dose work to fight cardiovascular disease?

Signature 

"Let me get this strait what U are saying is that my parents are going to burn in hell, even though their jobs involve them saving lives every day, just because they chose not to follow your god? I dont blame them!!! Your god sounds like a real PRICK"

Posted: 15 November 2006 11:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-10

Fish oil, dose it work?

I’m curious if anyone has any hard info on fish oil to see if it acutally dose work to fight cardiovascular disease?

Signature 

"Let me get this strait what U are saying is that my parents are going to burn in hell, even though their jobs involve them saving lives every day, just because they chose not to follow your god? I dont blame them!!! Your god sounds like a real PRICK"

Posted: 16 November 2006 08:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-11-10

Thanks Doug thats perfect smile

Cheers matey

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2007 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  44
Joined  2007-04-30

Its not the presence of fish, it is the absence of stuff

I have not researched this area thoroughly enough, but it would also make sense that it is the absence of other things in the diet of those who choose to eat more fish, rather than the presence of fish by itself that might contribute to “improvements” in things like triglicerides in patients who choose to adhere to a cerain diet or take a supplement.
Once again, this is just an opinion, but it seems to me that patients who choose to modify their lifestyle in any way benefit tremendously from whatever the food additive/vitamin/supplement they choose to add to their diet (Especially if they also exercise, lose weight, and eat less in general). I am not aware of any adverse effects of consuming fish oil, omega 3 or anything in that category, but I would rather recommend a person walks a little more and eats a little less than take any form of supplement.

Here are a few exaples of quotes from abstracts that I have read on the subject:
“Because of the suboptimal quality of the studies included into the meta-analysis and the absence of data in patients receiving statins, these results do not justify adding fish oils systematically to the heavy pharmaceutical assortment already recommended in CHD patients.”- Am J Prev Med. 2005 Nov;29(4):347-52.

“This meta-analysis shows that consumption of ALA might reduce heart disease mortality. However, the association between high intake of ALA and prostate cancer is of concern and warrants further study.” -J Nutr. 2004 Apr;134(4):919-22.

And probably the most famous of these meta-analyses—-
“There was no difference in summary estimates between dietary and non-dietary interventions of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids for all endpoints. CONCLUSION: This meta-analysis suggests that dietary and non-dietary intake of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids reduces overall mortality, mortality due to myocardial infarction, and sudden death in patients with coronary heart disease.” - Am J Med. 2002 Mar;112(4):298-304.  - Note - here, the fact that there is no difference b/w dietary and non-dietary interventions is especially suspicious since dietery interventions are historically prone to low yield results (See latest JAMA diet studies, where weight loss is marginal and temporary even for those who choose to adhere to the diet)

Signature 

Dmitriy
http://www.refuter.com

Posted: 30 April 2007 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  508
Joined  2006-04-18

Some stuff on it. All I have heard and read it is one of the “super foods” Very good on many areas in reasonable amounts. All the experts I have heard promote eating actual deep sea fish rather than taking supplements.

Fish Oil Holds Promise In Alzheimer’s Fight

Fish Oil and Heart Disease

Fish Oil Capsules

Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Omega-3 fatty acids, fish oil, alpha-linolenic acid

Fish oil may preserve thinking ability in elderly

Omega-3 Boosts Grey Matter, May Explain Improved Moods

Alzheimer’s Advance: Omega-3 fatty acid benefits mice

Omega-3 Fatty Acids May Prevent Heart Disease By Improving Arterial Elasticity

Science Friday Meet Omega-3 (November 3, 2006, Hour Two)

Does this all look a bit too much like spam?

Posted: 01 May 2007 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-30

EXACTLY!!!

That’s exactly my point. The reason eating fish is recommended, because no one eats fish for dinner and then downs their “usual” meal (a burger and a coke, or something else that’s “not good for you”). grin That could explain why actual consumption would be recommended over a supplement.

Signature 

Dmitriy

Posted: 08 June 2007 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  178
Joined  2007-06-01

I don’t like it, it doesn’t taste like chicken

Signature 

“Life is a Blur of Republicans and Meat” - Zippy

Posted: 10 June 2007 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2007-06-10

Fish Oil has been found in numerous studies to help with cognitive processes, fighting inflammation, help fight cardiovascular disease, etc…

Here is a page on Fish Oil—http://www.jigsawhealth.com/products/omega_3_fish_oil.html

Are you asking this question because you do not take Fish Oil???  If so you should!!!

Benefits include:
  * Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
  * Support cardiovascular health and normal heart function.
  * Improve cognitive and behavioral performance.
  * Regulate blood pressure.
  * Relax blood vessels to keep blood flowing smoothly.
  * Maintain healthy blood lipid, triglyceride, and cholesterol levels.
  * Reduce pain and swelling.
  * Ease digestive and allergic symptoms.
  * Increase growth hormone levels and promote muscle growth.
  * Relieve mood swings for better emotional well-being.

The more you read about Fish Oil, the more it seems that you should be taking it.  Try to find a Fish Oil without the gross fish aftertaste—that can be upsetting to your stomach.

Give it a try!

Posted: 10 June 2007 02:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

I agree, Karla.  I enjoy salmon but don’t have it nearly often enough so I take a fish oil capsule and a flaxseed capsule (fairly similar compounds) each day.  Wish I’d known about it before I had my heart attack.  However, frequent exams indicate my coronary arteries aren’t any worse and possibly a fair amount better than they were.

Occam

Posted: 12 July 2007 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2007-04-30

Once again. Those studies are poorly controlled for intake.

Signature 

Dmitriy

Posted: 12 July 2007 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

I tried taking omega-3 capsules for my dyspraxia recently and saw no improvement.  Then again, I wasn’t really paying attention.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 13 July 2007 01:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Total Posts:  5508
Joined  2006-10-22

As I’m sure you’re aware of, Narwhol, 1) anecdotal evidence is essentially useless; 2) a sample of one is statistically just about meaningless; and 3) being both the investigator and the subject pretty well cancels any chance of validity.

Occam

Posted: 13 July 2007 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Occam, I’m guessing this is another case of narwhol’s renowned wit, since “dyspraxia” means “Difficulty with planning a sequence of coordinated movements or difficulty with executing a plan, even though it is known.” grin

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

Posted: 13 July 2007 01:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Total Posts:  672
Joined  2007-06-17

Correctamondo!  And difficulty concentrating on any one thing. However, I have tried omega three for mine, but it didn’t seem to do anything, and yes that is purely anecdotal evidence as Occam rightly points out.

Signature 

http://web.mac.com/normsherman/iWeb/Site/Podcast/833F918B-485B-42F4-B18C-4AB1436D9B87.html

Posted: 03 August 2007 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRankRankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  245
Joined  2007-07-27

A few years ago I was in bad shape physically, then I changed my entire diet and cut out red meat and switched to eating a lot of fish and fish oil. I exercised and cut out pastries, bread, sweets and fast food and now I am 75 and in very good health as I can walk better than I did at 25 and in spite of the fact I have several plates, rods, screws and bolts throughout my body to hold me together from a series of terrific accidents I am in better shape now that I was a few years ago. In helping to heal my last serious accident I started using heavy amounts of fish oil and it sped up my recovery a whole faster than had I not used it. And I noticed too that my wrinkles seemed to lessen from using fish oil.

Signature 

In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holely Goat I bring the truth

Posted: 03 August 2007 04:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Total Posts:  4052
Joined  2006-11-28

Sprry HG, but that’s pure anecdote. You may be in better shape due tomany different changes you made, but I don’t think your notion of recovering faster than you otherwise would have constitutes evidence from a scientific point of view. Unfortunately, anecdotes are very convincing but have been repeatedly shown to be useless in terms of actually determining safety and efficacy. After all, people got better after being bled for centuries, but we’re pretty certain now there’s no therapeutic benefit to the practice.

Signature 

The SkeptVet
The SkeptVet Blog
Militant Agnostic: I don’t know, and neither do you!

1 of 6